• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting / Shooting Laws

I am an Arizonan. I don't get to other states much. As I don't really care for traveling. But to my question. It's funny how laws pertaining to shooting and hunting vary by state. I really do not care who is right! In Arizona I can not hunt legally at night or shoot from a vehicle. Are there many states in the USA where that is legal? Just curious as I have seen some shooting out of cars. And wonder. 

Here in Missouri it's illegal to shoot from inside a car or shoot across a public road. Even if it was legal to shoot out of a vehicle I would not do it because that is not hunting that is shooting at animals from a car. We are also not allowed to hunt at night except I think for certain types of predators. I don't predator hunt so I'm not exactly positive about this one.

We are allowed to hunt on Sunday. Some states still do not allow hunting on Sunday.

I expect this is a complicated issue. I am in NC, and there are provisions for certain nighttime hunting, coyote for example. And Sunday hunting is now legal, with some restrictions. This was a long time coming here in the Bible Belt.

Years ago, we road hunted for pheasants in SD. Not shooting from the car, but spotting from the car, then attempting to flush them and, hopefully, getting a shot. It is such a diverse issue, you have to research local law.

Complicated & confusing. Here in California one cannot use night vision but you may hunt predators 30 min before dusk to 30 min after (last time I checked). However if it's on your own property or one at which you have written permission I believe it's anything goes. As I said, complicated and confusing. Oh, and no shooting from vehicle. 

id say they change all the time .. im sure airguns specifically make it even more complicated the way some laws are worded as theyre not firearms ... i got into it one time with a warden and few sheriffs showed up on top of it when i was minding my own business fishing, with a license, on a border canal of a wildlife management area and i had my .22 with me .. a couple of them already had paperwork going to bust me for poaching until it was finally concluded they couldnt because its a rimfire and the law specifically states no entrance or whatever to the preserve with a centerfire without the lroper stamps etc...big mess of stupid that was messing up my fishing day ...

I live in Texas and I'm subject to hear people shooting at all times of day and night. You don't know if they're hunting, having target practice, eliminating pests, drunk shooting or what. The law states that hunting hours are a half hour from sunrise and a half hour after sunset. Since wild pigs are and issue, night vision isn't. Some guys come out here and pay to shoot wild pigs from helicopters. In my neck of the woods most hunting is done on private property. We don't really see game wardens or any other types of authorities unless they're invited or called. No one bothers us if we decide to shoot out of a window on a rainy day. Generally this isn't desirable and is done mostly to nuisance animals like wild hogs and such. They can be so skittish an entire sounder can bolt at the sound of a truck door opening so take them as you see fit so long as you don't endanger people, livestock, or property. If you are the type that likes to shoot from inside a vehicle you won't be able to hear much especially if it's a PB. A big bore PCP can ring your ears too. Mostly drunks, idiots, and poachers shoot like that. I spoke to a man who was fined and arrested for shooting at a deer decoy while driving a truck. I believe the decoy was in a state park. Most guys are generally hunting from blinds and tree stands because there's usually only so much room to stalk or track animals the way a lot of properties are laid out and these animals aren't stupid. They have adapted to being hunted. Also, if shot and an animal runs too far you may find yourself on another person's land which can complicate things. Just know that in Texas when you see purple paint on a tree trunk, that's recognized as a legal property boundary and you're about to encroach upon another man's land.

Complicated & confusing. Here in California one cannot use night vision but you may hunt predators 30 min before dusk to 30 min after (last time I checked). However if it's on your own property or one at which you have written permission I believe it's anything goes. As I said, complicated and confusing. Oh, and no shooting from vehicle.

30 minutes before sunrise til 30 minutes after dusk!

I live in Texas and I'm subject to hear people shooting at all times of day and night. You don't know if they're hunting, having target practice, eliminating pests, drunk shooting or what. The law states that hunting hours are a half hour from sunrise and a half hour after sunset. Since wild pigs are and issue, night vision isn't. Some guys come out here and pay to shoot wild pigs from helicopters. In my neck of the woods most hunting is done on private property. We don't really see game wardens or any other types of authorities unless they're invited or called. No one bothers us if we decide to shoot out of a window on a rainy day. Generally this isn't desirable and is done mostly to nuisance animals like wild hogs and such. They can be so skittish an entire sounder can bolt at the sound of a truck door opening so take them as you see fit so long as you don't endanger people, livestock, or property. If you are the type that likes to shoot from inside a vehicle you won't be able to hear much especially if it's a PB. A big bore PCP can ring your ears too. Mostly drunks, idiots, and poachers shoot like that. I spoke to a man who was fined and arrested for shooting at a deer decoy while driving a truck. I believe the decoy was in a state park. Most guys are generally hunting from blinds and tree stands because there's usually only so much room to stalk or track animals the way a lot of properties are laid out and these animals aren't stupid. They have adapted to being hunted. Also, if shot and an animal runs too far you may find yourself on another person's land which can complicate things. Just know that in Texas when you see purple paint on a tree trunk, that's recognized as a legal property boundary and you're about to encroach upon another man's land.

Purple paint is a legal "No Trespassing" sign. Walk past it and you are on the other side of where you need to be, literally and legally.

Shooting from a road right of way, from a vehicle (unless on private property, and as long as it isn't a state or county maintained road) and from a boat with the prop in the water will get you a performance award as well.

"Game" animals are described and off limits for after dark shooting. Predators and pigs are open season. Air rifles for "Game animals or fur bearers" has to be 30 cal at 800 fps and doing it with a 150 grain pellet. OR any combination making 215 fpe, IIRC. Squirrels, and small game are not mentioned for a minimum.

Some of our game laws are just real head scratcher, and there are others, just can't think of them under pressure. LOL On a high note, a lot of things have been amended in the past few years, and most were for the better.

I stand corrected. What @lostintejas said about the purple paint in Texas is more accurate. If you cross that tree line or fence posts with purple paint on them you are legally trespassing and can be shot. Same principle, but it’s literally interpreted as a “No Trespassing” sign as he stated.

I'm neither a lawyer nor a Texan, but I don't think the statement about being shot for trespassing is totally accurate. You may be shot, I guess, but not legally. I don't believe deadly force is legally allowed unless it is justified in defense of an imminent and potentially life threatening attack. 

In California, you need a hunting license to shoot ANY animal, One exception is a landowner does not need a license to shoot pests on his/her property. You cannot shoot from, in, or about a vehicle. This means no shooting form the bed of a truck and no leaning against the vehicle or shooting off the hood or top of the car. It's illegal to use a vehicle to pursue or herd an game animal. 

I stand corrected. What @lostintejas said about the purple paint in Texas is more accurate. If you cross that tree line or fence posts with purple paint on them you are legally trespassing and can be shot. Same principle, but it’s literally interpreted as a “No Trespassing” sign as he stated.

I'm neither a lawyer nor a Texan, but I don't think the statement about being shot for trespassing is totally accurate. You may be shot, I guess, but not legally. I don't believe deadly force is legally allowed unless it is justified in defense of an imminent and potentially life threatening attack.

I'm not a lawyer either, but the makings constitute Criminal Trespassing, as I understand it, and while extreme, yes you may be shot if you are deemed a threat in any way, real or imagined.

Class B meander, for just being there, Class A misdemeanor if armed. Chances are, you'd just be asked to leave, or have LE called in to remove you, but some folks just aren't very bright and repeat offend. The purple paint is the "Notice" that normally comes along with the Criminal Trespass visit.

FWIW, http://stakesafe.com/texas-no-trespassing-law/

I'm neither a lawyer nor a Texan, but I don't think the statement about being shot for trespassing is totally accurate. You may be shot, I guess, but not legally. I don't believe deadly force is legally allowed unless it is justified in defense of an imminent and potentially life threatening attack. I think the purple paint has to be on multiple posts/ tree trunks as specified minimum intervals to establish a legal boundary line.

I think some can be shot if in the defense of property, ie, theft, rustling, ect, but not simple trespassing. As a Texas resident I certainly do not want to try it.

Just did a quick search and found this explanation.

The Texas Penal Code 30.05 Criminal Trespass provides for the use of purple paint to mark property boundaries. Purple markings are required to be vertical lines, 8 inches long and 1 inch wide. The bottom of the markings must be between 3 – 5 feet above the ground. Purple markings can be spaced no more than 100 feet apart in wooded areas and no more than 1000 feet apart in open areas. Markings must be placed in areas visible to anyone approaching the property. Posted signs are still recommended at all access points and gates.