Other Hunting Rifle

Hey guys, I’ll keep this short and sweet, I want to get into hunting with a PCP where I can take hogs/deer up to 150 yards if ethical, but also shoot in my backyard, I’m in a weird spot in my state where most ranges only go up to 5.56 and 15 yards, and the closest long distance range is a couple hours away, among other issues. I’m about to be out of a job potentially, but I refuse to live my life in fear and not having enjoyment in things, with that in mind and budget, are there any decent PCPs out there that I could get into and start plinking away in the yard and be able to hunt deer and hogs? I’m in Georgia, just for reference. Thanks in advance everyone!

Hey guys, I’ll keep this short and sweet, I want to get into hunting with a PCP where I can take hogs/deer up to 150 yards if ethical, but also shoot in my backyard, I’m in a weird spot in my state where most ranges only go up to 5.56 and 15 yards, and the closest long distance range is a couple hours away, among other issues. I’m about to be out of a job potentially, but I refuse to live my life in fear and not having enjoyment in things, with that in mind and budget, are there any decent PCPs out there that I could get into and start plinking away in the yard and be able to hunt deer and hogs? I’m in Georgia, just for reference. Thanks in advance everyone!
Great attitude! If you can reign in your hunting distance aspirations to inside 50-100 yards, you might be surprised. I'm not sure what the caliber minimum is in Georgia, but I'd start there.

How big is your yard, and close to you are your neighbors?

Reactions: Chard
I can't offer a rifle suggestion, as there are just too many variables involved. I will offer a recommendation regarding your evaluation of this situation. Check with your local municipal jurisdiction, county and/or city, and find out how air guns are defined and addressed in the local laws. I recently discovered that air guns here have been specifically included in certain firearm regulations, including the prohibition of discharging within the city limits. Don't assume that air guns are exempt from local firearm regs, regardless of how they are treated by Federal regs.

I can't offer a rifle suggestion, as there are just too many variables involved. I will offer a recommendation regarding your evaluation of this situation. Check with your local municipal jurisdiction, county and/or city, and find out how air guns are defined and addressed in the local laws. I recently discovered that air guns here have been specifically included in certain firearm regulations, including the prohibition of discharging within the city limits. Don't assume that air guns are exempt from local firearm regs, regardless of how they are treated by Federal regs.
I am outside city limits, already looked into my county, no rules against it of any kind, so I should be good to go there!

A couple suggestions to look at. AEA airguns are a relatively inexpensive way to get into big bore airguns and the pellet shop and Utah Air are two places that handle them. You're looking at ~$500 to $1000 or more. If you are willing to limit yourself to head shots, a SPA M60 available at Airgun Archery Fun is available in 30 and 35 caliber and might be a little cheaper depending on options. If you want to stay with a U. S. made gun the Benjamin Bulldog in 357 or 45 caliber would be around $1000.

Range is a big issue for airguns because of the fundimental design difference of propellant and resulting pressure. Powder burners (PBs) have tens of thousands of psi gas to push the projectile while airguns have to get by with ~2000psi. To make more fpe, airguns go up in caliber. The extreme is the AEA Zeus, a 72 caliber capable of over 1000 fpe. Most airguns have fpe more like a 22lr, however (100 fpe or less). Velocity is limited by the much lower pressure so trajectory makes 150 yards really challenging. 50 yards is a more reasonable distance for airguns. Airgun range capability is more like PB pistols.

Reactions: JakeMcCoy
A couple suggestions to look at. AEA airguns are a relatively inexpensive way to get into big bore airguns and the pellet shop and Utah Air are two places that handle them. You're looking at ~$500 to $1000 or more. If you are willing to limit yourself to head shots, a SPA M60 available at Airgun Archery Fun is available in 30 and 35 caliber and might be a little cheaper depending on options. If you want to stay with a U. S. made gun the Benjamin Bulldog in 357 or 45 caliber would be around $1000.

Range is a big issue for airguns because of the fundimental design difference of propellant and resulting pressure. Powder burners (PBs) have tens of thousands of psi gas to push the projectile while airguns have to get by with ~2000psi. To make more fpe, airguns go up in caliber. The extreme is the AEA Zeus, a 72 caliber capable of over 1000 fpe. Most airguns have fpe more like a 22lr, however (100 fpe or less). Velocity is limited by the much lower pressure so trajectory makes 150 yards really challenging. 50 yards is a more reasonable distance for airguns. Airgun range capability is more like PB pistols.
Thank you for such a detailed response! I’ll look into some of the AEA stuff!

Thank you for such a detailed response! I’ll look into some of the AEA stuff!
And down the Rabbit Hole® he goes. I didn't see anyone say this, you'll need someway to get air to it large amounts of air, Pellets/Slugs in those large calibers are costly, and of course some form of optics, that'll handle the kick of them. Slugs take more air to get moving than Pellets but they have greater accuracy at range...generally

I know someone on here said something about trying to limit it to headshots but last few deer I’ve harvested have been with a high shoulder shot. A bigger vital area which your slug and if using anything from .35 and up should have no problem penetrating. For me head shots with anything on a deer are a little worrisome because of the small vital area and high possibility of a gruesome non lethal wound. I don’t shoot past 40 with my .45 but the high shoulder has had a great success rate. Not putting down the guys that go for the head but it’s just past my comfort level.

Look for a used large caliber pcp.