• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting Question..

What are your folks thoughts on hunting with air guns in the different seasons?

Back in the day KY had archery, black powder, rifle (cartridge) season.

I think that AG should NOT be in rifle season .. and at the very least in BP season.

Even the purists with Bow and Arrow argued about crossbows being used during archery season.

I think AG would/should be accepted to be used during BP season.

No idea what the current rules are... Well I know I can look and have seen for AG it's all during "rifle" season only.

Really think it should fall under BP.

What do you folks think?

Reactions: beerthief
What are your folks thoughts on hunting with air guns in the different seasons?

Back in the day KY had archery, black powder, rifle (cartridge) season.

I think that AG should NOT be in rifle season .. and at the very least in BP season.

Even the purists with Bow and Arrow argued about crossbows being used during archery season.

I think AG would/should be accepted to be used during BP season.

No idea what the current rules are... Well I know I can look and have seen for AG it's all during "rifle" season only.

Really think it should fall under BP.

What do you folks think?
I'm wondering if/is how fast reload time plays a factor.

Let me clarify... From what I remember... You could use archery in any season... BP in BP and rifle.. and only rifle in rifle...

Point being I think AG should be allowed use in BP and rifle season... And things like the airbow and other arrow shooters allowed in BP and rifle .. not really in Archery...

Toasty, what do ya mean about reload? It's always meant to me 1 shot 1 kill... So reloading was not a factor... I'm basing my opinion on the handling and the lethality of the 3 main styles .. I feel that BP and AG are more closely related.

Reactions: Glenroiland
Let me clarify... From what I remember... You could use archery in any season... BP in BP and rifle.. and only rifle in rifle...

Point being I think AG should be allowed use in BP and rifle season... And things like the airbow and other arrow shooters allowed in BP and rifle .. not really in Archery...

Toasty, what do ya mean about reload? It's always meant to me 1 shot 1 kill... So reloading was not a factor... I'm basing my opinion on the handling and the lethality of the 3 main styles .. I feel that BP and AG are more closely related.
I am totally on the same page as you.

I'm thinking about how the lawmakers might be thinking🤷‍♂️they always throw curveballs in there

Reactions: beerthief
It's not allowed in my state for deer and probably never will be in my lifetime, but I think it should have it's own season.
I wouldn't mind it being its own season, but to join in and piggyback on an existing for starters would be a good start to get other folks involved. The other side of the coin is that would lead to gubmint overreach with licensing and registration and crap... Sooooo...

Would just be nice to have the option..

I ponder taking both a PB and AG .. hunt with both... Take what ya can with AG... If ya can't use a PB.

For instance sometimes squirrel and turkey overlap with deer... So you could use the AG for those while keeping quiet.

Just my thoughts .

Reactions: kayaker
I don‘t know how other states are but in Idaho they have Rifle, which is basically any weapon including AG’s, BP, and archery. Then they have short range weapons only areas, archery seasons and BP exclusive hunts.To carve another special season out of the mix is asking too much because of the very limited number of participants IMO.
Idaho does allow AG’s in any season that is classified as short range weapons only which can include archery, BP, crossbow, shotgun and I believe straight walled pistol cartridges.

In Ohio, we can use airguns for the entire Small Game season from September until February 15th.
That's cool to know...

It seems there should be some sort of FPE list of acceptable force to allow more hunting opportunities for AG...

Just thinking... Would a 9mm carbine rifle count as a straight walled cartridge to hunt with?

Just always some crazy BS rule they come up with to regulate down the masses IMO...

Funny how there are "rifle" seasons and such... And have to have high power... And then you have the S&W 500..

I wonder what a FPE season list would look like?

I really love this one from KY..

Screenshot_20230224-212117.png

That's cool to know...

It seems there should be some sort of FPE list of acceptable force to allow more hunting opportunities for AG...

Just thinking... Would a 9mm carbine rifle count as a straight walled cartridge to hunt with?

Just always some crazy BS rule they come up with to regulate down the masses IMO...

Funny how there are "rifle" seasons and such... And have to have high power... And then you have the S&W 500..

I wonder what a FPE season list would look like?

I really love this one from KY..
In Ohio we can hunt from Squirrel to Hog with airguns, no FPE min specified. I've looked at the regulations from other states, and every time I do, I just wanna send the Ohio Department of Natural Resources a thank you card for making it so easy to understand.

Here is the game, here are the dates, and everything can be taken with an airgun. Easy peasy!
Screenshot 2023-03-07 202617.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-07 202635.jpg

Air Rifles are allowed for deer during gun season here in Texas. Rifle season is 9 weeks long though, not the crazy 6 day season Ohio and some other states have. Bow hunters here only get a 4 week head start on the gun hunters. Bow season starts first saturday in October, Gun starts first saturday in November and goes into the beginning of January.