• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting permissions -liability contracts and insurance question

Do you have legal agreements with the farmers? If so can you share what your contracts say? And do you carry separate insurance so that they will know they are covered for liability and any damages?

I know some farmers/landowners require these yet I've never actually seen one.

If you'd prefer you can PM me.

Thanks for any guidance you might be able to share.

Andrew

I haven’t done it in a while but I used to give land owners a hold harmless letter which I had one of my corporate attorneys write up in it it basically says that if I create any situation we’re the landowner could be held responsible I would be the responsible party. I did this along with a rider I was able to get on my homeowners insurance. Where I hunted farmers where concerned that someone would shoot their livestock. I had Allstate for my insurance.

Yeah i just have handshake agreements. To be perfectly honest what we do is fun for us, but if done well is a huuugggeeee service for the farmer. If they aren’t into it enough to just allow me to do it, i thank them for their time and dont go back. My farms dont require notice when im coming or going, and they trust me to do what i can for them.

Im not saying you cant find a farm that wants a contract and is worth going to, im just saying, I have not found that. Those folks always have prohibited times and conditions. I want to pest at farms where they offer me a dozen eggs every now and then, or boast about my guns to people who show up while im there and ask for a demo to show off how effective norm and I are. These are the kind of folks i like to work with. I have four amazing farms and a bunch of decent ones I always shoot at the amazing ones first to help them out.

All of that said, I know all neighborhoods arent like mine, but keep in mind i pest in NY and it is arguably the most sue happy state around. But if a farmer has a real issue, and you can make a dent, he/she should welcome you .

Same here. I have 5 permissions east of San Diego, total of about 100 acres, all handshake agreements. Now after a couple of years they all have air rifles that I got for them and are shooting all “my” ground squirrels. ;( All the guns were bought on the classifieds here on AGN. In the PRC (People’s Republic of California), you even need a hunting license to hunt on private property. 

All handshake agreements with a thorough explanation of what I'm planning.

I ALWAYS call ahead of time just to make sure they're aware I'll be there. I also call or email them afterwards to thank them.

One farm has 60k+ cattle, security fences and guard shacks so I have to get a guest pass, which I coordinate wuth one of the managers ahead of time.