Hunting in the USA/Canada - are you allowed to hunt everywhere?

I know nothing about Canada but each state of the USA has its own rules. In Canada you can hunt private land with permission, blm land and national forest. You need to check fish and game regulations for each state and specifically look up the laws for hunting the particular game you are after. There can actually be quite a few laws and it can get very confusing. It's not actually an anything goes scenario. In most states you need to pass a safety test that includes basic rules for your state. Good luck to you welcome to hunting in america. 

Coming from Germany, we have extreme restictions. Seeing that in other countries only a license is needed for the actual allowance to hunt (not the qualification in terms of skill/knowledge etc) - it boggles my mind.

Not only can we hunt here in the middle of the USA but I can hunt several animals without a license! Legally. 

Even better... YOU can come here and buy a license for $185.00 and hunt your own deer!! 

No kidding. According to 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), possession of a valid hunting license or permit.

NO,all places have different rules and regulations,plus many states have you go through a "hunter safety course" before you are issued a hunting license.

You Need to know the rules and regulations for the places you want to hunt....

I think it is best to go to different websites and check out what the rules really are.Like which states and counties you intend to hunt at.

Generalizations are not regulations.

As far as I can tell, in Colorado, the only restriction I have found pertaining to air guns is that you can shoot as many coyotes as you want to here, except if you shoot them with an air gun, it must be .25 caliber or larger.

I don't know the rules for hunting in national forests and other government land here; but of course, you do need the land owner's permission to hunt on private land.

You can find all the laws and regulations you need for Colorado online, if you are considering this as a destination.

As others have said, the laws for every state are different -- as I expect it is like in Deutschland. I suspect most states also have their laws published online as well.

Gott helfe dir!

In Canada you need a Possession/Acquisition License (PAL) to own a powder burning firearm and air rifles shooting over 500 fps. You take a course, write an exam and pass a background check by the RCMP before acquiring a PAL.

Each province has their own regulations for acquiring a hunting licence. In Ontario a hunting license can be obtained by taking a course and passing the exam. The course teaches safe gun handling and game identification ( I took the course over 45 years ago so I'm not 100% up on the course details).

You may hunt on private property with the landowner's permission. Crown land (provincial or federal lands) are generally open to hunting but restrictions may apply. Regions like Southern Ontario have very little public lands. What isn't within town and city limits is generally private farm land. The local Ministry of Natural Resources is the best place to start to educate yourself on the local hunting/fishing regulations.

Small addition to rob_g's commentary. In Canada you need two licenses to hunt. First is the license to have a firearm (PAL) and second is the hunting license. The hunting license is a provincial thing, the PAL is federal. Depending on exactly what you are going to hunt, you may also need a permit to kill that specific animal. Those regulations are specific to the province. For example, hunting squirrels you do not need a permit for. But for deer, pretty much anywhere in Canada, unless you are indigenous, you'll need a permit. I have a saltwater fishing license that lets me catch 4 crabs a day (8 when my son comes with me). But if I wanted to catch big fish in the ocean I'd usually need a permit specific to that fish. 

The only hunting my grandparents would do is if a deer, moose or bear walked by their front door. Most people have to go a little further than that. 

Whether or not you can hunt with an airgun is a provincially controlled thing. But generally speaking, yes with certain airguns you can hunt. You have to check the local regulations. Similarly, you are not allowed to hunt with handguns anywhere in Canada. Handguns have a different kind of license (restricted firearm) and can only be discharged at firing ranges. 

Simply, no.

There are many regulations depending on where you are in the U.S. and they vary wildly. I lived in one place where an air gun or a bow used on your own property was "discharge of a firearm" and a felony offense. I now live in another state where I have a shooting range in my own yard.

it's a maze of rules and regulations running from Federal down to state, down to county down to towns. They change fairly often as well.

You need a license from the state that you will be hunting in. Every state sets its own rules on seasons, bag limits and methods of harvest. Most land is privately owned, so you need landowner permission or a lease agreement. There are bits of "public" lands around, each will need to be researched. Here in texas, the public lands have different regulations than private lands as far as legal means and antler restrictions.

Well, we've been talking about "hunting" — what about "pesting"?

Matthias

🔶 PS: And yes, even if some posters gave the impression that the US is often rather "strikt" in it's airgun and hunting laws — it just proves that most Americans simply cannot imagine the ridiculous anti-hunting and anti-gun lobby we have in Germany.

With German efficiency and bureaucratic finesse they have bulldozered hobby shooting/hunting and placed it under 5 foot of concrete, the one with the rebar used for bunker building.

So, please, protect your 2A! It's a tremendous privilege you received from your founding fathers! 😊

Reactions: SHOMER
Pesting is a zoo of regulations. Around "biggish cities" in Canada, pesting with airguns is generally banned. Once you get into small towns and rural areas, it opens up quite a bit. But it's all case-by-case. You just have to look up the area's bylaws, for every town or region. 

That said, you can trap, but even then the variety of traps you can use are pretty tightly prescribed. 

Are you looking at a specific state to hunt in? I would look at the DNR, department of natural resources, and see what the rules are. Up here ND for any non-game species all I need is my drivers license to hunt. Then either public or private land, of course need to talk with land owners. Varmint like fox, coyote, badger ... etc need to get a specific for the smaller game. Then deer, duck, goose, and so on all have their own tags. Once you know the regulations it is honestly quite simple to go hunting and have a good time.