Hunting Hogs in Florida - What do you Use?

Obviously that can be a good or bad thing, depending on situation.

Especially for headshots, the extra penetration is a really good deal. Though, really, if you're hunting anything of reasonable size, I'd want to be running a 45 caliber or bigger. The Zeus would be a fine choice for hogs, IMO.

With hogs, how fast you kill them can be important... I certainly wouldn't want a large injured and aggrieved swine after me..

Me? If I'm hunting hog, this is one of those cases where the other guns come out of the safe...

Reactions: dizzums
I will be going hog hunting soon here. For any kind of hunting, I always choose the most reliable and well built platforms. If you can show me a better built big bore than the Bushbuck 45 then I will buy it.

So far in the category of uncompromising quality I have not found a better big bore. Why? It is built like a tank. It has a custom barrel in .452 affording a large casting/ammo selection. Of course, the power is great 600+FPE. Yes you can find one with more power, but not of this quality and not 100% made in the USA. So for hunting that is my pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about if you chose to get close and place the precise brain shot in the right place or if you feel better stay back a bit and rely on the heart/lung shot.

for the latter I would go as big in caliber and power as I could, if you choose the precise brain shot you really don't need all that much mainly the knowledge of how and where to put that pellet,......I killed real big hogs with .22 .25 and .30

put it this way ... ive broad sided a 180lb'er with 000 buck from 40 or so yards and went after it in the brush and palms and it charged me .. i emptied a 357 in it and it stopped about 10ft from me .. so ... if your in a stand or sumpin use whatever you want and ambush it with a precision headshot, or use a big caliber for body shots .. i wouldnt be on foot after one with a pellet gun lol .. those fl wild boars arnt the same as the little pink fat pigs that escaped the farm like they have in some places .. trust me on that .. them big ones is lean and mean lol

Last edited:
put it this way ... ive broad sided a 180lb'er with 000 buck from 40 or so yards and went after it in the brush and palms and it charged me .. i emptied a 357 in it and it stopped about 10ft from me .. so ... if your in a stand or sumpin use whatever you want and ambush it with a precision headshot, or use a big caliber for body shots .. i wouldnt be on foot after one with a pellet gun lol .. those fl wild boars arnt the same as the little pink fat pigs that escaped the farm like they have in some places .. trust me on that .. them big ones is lean and mean lol
Don't know about that, yes they are dangerous and I've been charged before bowhunting them but I also been hunting them with small pellet guns for many years on the ground and would never give that one up.

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
I’ve seen guys take hogs with 22. While I don’t recommend this caliber, a high powered 25 or a 30 will do the job just fine. There are many guys take hogs with these calibers. Do a YouTube search and you will see.
There's also a few dudes who just absolutely love to hunt the BIG ones barefoot with NVG's and nothing but a knife. My hat is off to them. #respect

I'm still grabbing the .45/70... NVG's optional.