hunting friendly feeders

Around here you got to be so gar away grom a feeder taking game. Nuisance animals maybe a gray area or non game intrusive..

Hang on i got to get a picture of onei use you may like.

Multre feeder motor ( Walmart) , 6 gallon metal pail with lid locking handle ( lowes). Like squirrel cant chew it up or reach the feeder motor part .. they try . You can see there teeth marks around the lid ..lol. ya, good luck with that mr. Squirrel.

That bucket holds a 40# sack of corn easy. I used a shell corn /birdseed mix in this one.

feeder.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Water.
I cannot stress this one enough.
I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun. But guess what EVERYTHING living under the sun needs?
Yup...water.
I've got a few buckets and bird baths that now in use have attracted more than my fair share of critters of all walks of life. Sadly I figured this out AFTER I could no longer pest my own yard😕

Reactions: survivor45
Water.
I cannot stress this one enough.
I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun. But guess what EVERYTHING living under the sun needs?
Yup...water.
I've got a few buckets and bird baths that now in use have attracted more than my fair share of critters of all walks of life. Sadly I figured this out AFTER I could no longer pest my own yard😕
Ua, thats pretty understandable in your neck of the plains.. of not water set up some shade.. you can pea on the ground and attract a horde of locusts instantly..lol

sorry, shoulda used the term "pests" lol. ironically, I live on a river and have a pond yet never see anything sitting by the water except beavers, muskrats and fishers. well, I should say use to see lol. the pests have dwindled down so I'm hoping to bring some back, there's nothing better than sitting on my deck with my coffee and gauntlet in the morning lol.

Ya, that feeder is from the back yard area. My old device has pictures of it hanging in use . I used a 20 foot dog lead cable with the clips on each end cause they chew a rope ( non metal) cable .lol

The initial cost was higher but it's near indistructable . Worth it. Also rasy yo move to a new spot if needed ..

Anyway main thing its one there not going chew up like most others end up on the ground or a hole to n ot and all the feed on the ground and works great on the timer .

Very easy to make out of a few pieces of cedar. So easy, even I could do it.

Around here you got to be so gar away grom a feeder taking game. Nuisance animals maybe a gray area or non game intrusive..

Hang on i got to get a picture of onei use you may like.

Multre feeder motor ( Walmart) , 6 gallon metal pail with lid locking handle ( lowes). Like squirrel cant chew it up or reach the feeder motor part .. they try . You can see there teeth marks around the lid ..lol. ya, good luck with that mr. Squirrel.

That bucket holds a 40# sack of corn easy. I used a shell corn /birdseed mix in this one.

View attachment 343677
Now THAT's impressive! Nice job! (y)
We have BIG raccoons at night (have been forced to bring the feeders in after dark).
Any chance this will keep them at bay as well? Or is this just wishful thinking? 🤔

Last edited:
Now THAT's impressive! Nice job! (y)
We have BIG raccoons at night (have been forced to bring the feeders in after dark).
Any chance this will keep them at bay as well? Or is this just wishful thinking? 🤔
Yes and no..lol.

Why i wish i had the pictures of it hung.

They cant get into it but if hung wrong they can get on top and tilt it and spill feed out of the spinner part.

The yrick was to hang it from a small limb that was strong enugh to hold the full feeded weight that a coon cant climb out on then high enugh to have distance between the limb and top of feeder . Kinda hard to explain.

Anyway that metal bucket with the handle locking lid been the best so gar in no chewing it up and all .

Matter of fact i got them old pictures at gta in a thread... If you can find the one..

Heck i may just hang it today for new pictures to have on this device ... Check back later.. i just need to do that to have them.

Not good sunlight but here its hung quick
feeder4.jpg

Dog chain with clip and pully .
feeder3.jpg

On a small enough limb a coon has a hard time balancing on to get out there but holds a full bucket of feed.
feeder2.png

Then the cable dog lead from bucket through pully to tie off at tree clipped to itself. Easy peasy to let down or pull up in place.

Last edited:
Yes and no..lol.

Why i wish i had the pictures of it hung.

They cant get into it but if hung wrong they can get on top and tilt it and spill feed out of the spinner part.

The yrick was to hang it from a small limb that was strong enugh to hold the full feeded weight that a coon cant climb out on then high enugh to have distance between the limb and top of feeder . Kinda hard to explain.

Anyway that metal bucket with the handle locking lid been the best so gar in no chewing it up and all .

Matter of fact i got them old pictures at gta in a thread... If you can find the one..

Heck i may just hang it today for new pictures to have on this device ... Check back later.. i just need to do that to have them.

Not good sunlight but here its hung quick
View attachment 344211
Dog chain with clip and pully .
View attachment 344212
On a small enough limb a coon has a hard time balancing on to get out there but holds a full bucket of feed.
View attachment 344213
Then the cable dog lead from bucket through pully to tie off at tree clipped to itself. Easy peasy to let down or pull up in place.
Very creative! Unfortunately, our feeder is hung from a shepherds hook plant holder on a deck railing with no trees nearby.
But it sure is a great way to tick off the squirrels! Will try to build one for next winter.
Thanks for the detailed info. 🙏

• Love
Very creative! Unfortunately, our feeder is hung from a shepherds hook plant holder on a deck railing with no trees nearby.
But it sure is a great way to tick off the squirrels! Will try to build one for next winter.
Thanks for the detailed info. 🙏
I got 2 bird feeders made out of plastic mayo jars and laundry soap jug bottoms that the squirrels aont chewed or jump on. Ill get a pic of one .. but no tree with just the right limb hurts i guess.

Ill edit a pic in here in a few..
feeder5.jpg

Back area
feeder6.jpg

Side yard area

I dont feed in spring or summer but these been up for 2 years or so now and not the first chewer ... There too far grom the tree for them to jump to them , too high off the ground to jump up , the limbs too small for them to get above + thin slick electric fence wire they hang from they cant grab anyway.

All they can get is feed the birds kick to the ground.. lol

Last edited:
I like it, thanks for the pics. I have plenty of cable from old runners so I can string it between 2 trees. I like things that are different, I'm well aware that I can buy a fancy table even with umbrellas, but I thought there might be some ingenuity here. Mcnasty, love the repurposing, keep it up.
One thing about the little bird feeders is .. if one gets damaged or chewed up , big deal. Its not like a 10$ stor bought one.

Then like you were wanting its a so what if i shoot it.. plastic jars are regular here mayo, jelly, ect. Same for the bottoms . Cheap, easy to replace whatever one .. heck shoot them on purpose of you feel like it.. lol

I was going to use 1$ dollar store frisbees for better roof that if a squirrel was to jump on ot it would tilt and he just slide off to the ground. But ol'Ruff said no. He repurposed it for his benefit..
ruff frisbee .jpg