• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting: Are airgun hunters more humane than others?

There is a lot of talk among us airgun hunters about going for humane kills. One fellow even went so far as to say he wouldn't shoot an animal, unless it was a head shot from a bench, even though he makes most of his shots from other positions during practice. He just didn't feel like it was fair to the animal.

In some regards, that seems admirable to me. In others, extremely conservative and limiting.

It got me to thinking about big game hunters. When folks are hunting deer with a rifle, handgun or shotgun, they almost NEVER seem to go for head shots; they go for heart/lung shots. From what I've read, a deer who's been hit in the heart and lungs can still run a surprising distance before passing out or bleeding out. Also, while they go for heart lung, double long seems acceptable (humane) too.

The bow hunters almost always talk about having to follow a blood trail. Their broadhead arrows slice things up inside the animals big-time, and there always seems to be lots of blood.

Then, here we are, talking about only taking head shots, or saying that if the pellet doesn't pass clean through the animal, they feel like there's not enough power on tap. Others prefer a .25 for squirrels for its extra impact, when a .177 that entered the vitals, to me, is a clean kill, even if it doesn't exit, and takes 5-10 seconds to die. Why is that no OK for for small game, but for big game, it is normal? Is it just that the extra power is available, so we should use it for a MORE humane kill?

If it were the same standards, we'd have to hunt deer with head shots from small cannons, to have an equivalent impact and quick death. .50 BMG with hollow points would be "worse" than .177, scale comparison.

It's kind of rhetorical, but I wonder why hunters of different game sizes have different definitions of a humane kill.

What is YOUR minimum type of kill, where you would still call it humane?

a) Head shots only; I want the animal to have its lights out, so it's not aware of anything.

b) Heart & both lungs, right through the torso. It'll know it's been hit by something, but won't suffer too long.

c) Heart and a lung, same as b).

d) Lungs. Will drown in its own blood in maybe 10 seconds.

e) Lung. Will drown in its own blood in maybe 30 seconds?

f) spined, with a mercy follow-up shot

g) gut shot, with a mercy follow-up shot, if you can find it.

h) crippling shot, with a mercy follow-up.

Be honest.

I would call D humane and E acceptable. You should aim to kill as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

I believe the reason people don't take head shots on deer and other large game is because they want the trophy so they only practice and learn how to shoot the heart/lung. Before I got into airgunning that is the only shots I ever took regardless, deer all the way to squirrel.. I am just now getting confident in taking headshots but still the majority of the game I shoot is heart and lung.. I am trying to force my self in to taking head shots. I know the gun is accurate, I know I can hit but there's just a comfort level knowing I have a bigger kill zone. 

I will admit a miss on a head shot is usually a clean miss versus a miss on a heart lung which results in a wounded animal and all effort should be given to ending the suffering that you the hunter caused. It might be a pest but it doesn't deserve to be in pain or suffer. 

It's an interesting question, but big game such as deer and bow hunting aren't comparable really to airgun hunting in my opinion.

Head shots on deer aren't considered the most humane, because if you hit a little low - you blow the deer's jaw off, and the thing starves to death. That, and the trophy element. 

A bow kills by loss of blood - the transfer of energy is nothing like as great as with a projectile like a bullet, so it relies on the blood loss to bring the animal down. The art is to cause as much blood loss as quickly as possible I suppose. That's why they slice things up and there's a lot of blood.

Bow hunting is what it is, the animal bleeds out to die. That occurs quicker with a heart shot, a bit longer for double lung and most everything else is a tracking job. I've hunted my entire life growing up on 600 acres on a river. I have always chosen neck shots on whitetail deer (base of the neck above the shoulders). I consider that the most humane method for whitetails even if that means I have to pass on a less advantageous shot. It shuts down all major function, paralysis to the spine, nervous supply to breathing(phrenic nerve), major arteries. Most of the damage occurs from hydrostatic shock. It is visible by a large (pie plate size bloody blister on the inside of the hide at the exit wound). The deer don't even take a step, they collapse in their tracks and expire within seconds. This is true from 120lb doe up to 300lb bucks. All bullets are not created equal. I choose the round for the gun. My favorite for 90% of my deer is a .243 100 grain nosler partition, however, I will not use that round in my .308 except for longer shots. In .308 its too powerful and fast to get the expansion and damage that occurs with the .243. In my .308 I use a self defense round. An 8mm mauser with a 220 grain bullet will punch a nice hole through two deer standing abreast and they'll both run off.
With pellets you don't have the same luxury. It is between an arrow and a powder burner. BUT most of the game is smaller. If you go to larger game head shots may be necessary, and the trophy is fine because you don't have the expansion and hydrostatic damage per se. Note pictures on Michaels pigs, nice clean hole, therefore you need brain damage. I use air rifles for squirrels. I don't make headshots for a non-hunting audience. Its way to gruesome. Squirrels expire quickly with not much movement on a neck or heart shot. I prefer head shots, because I can. I know the squirrel is dead even though its flopping. Those that have hunted/pested understand this. Warning: deer and people can flop with headshots too, and its quite disconcerting on something greater than 100lbs. 

While I feel this is a good question, I seem to have to deal with on almost a daily basis and have noted that the main issue with addressing it comes from a sociological aspect versus a biological aspect. The two sociological issues are defining the word “humane” and the cultural aspect of shooting a living animal while the biological issue is achieving death. 

The problem with defining the word “humane” is that everyone is going to have a different answer as it will be based on that person’s moral beliefs first with the presented situation second. For some, their moral belief is that it is never appropriate to take a life of any living animal regardless of the situation. Hence, their definition of humane would be to let nature take its course and not interfere. For others, they may not believe in taking the life of an animal; however, if that is the only way to stop the animal from additional suffering, then they it may be acceptable provided it is done in a manner they approve off (i.e., chemical injection, shooting, etc.). For these individuals, their definition of humane is more along the lines of actions causing the least amount of suffering to the animal during the dispatch process. Then we move on to those that don’t believe in killing; however, if it needs to be done they don’t really care how it is done (i.e., drowning, gas chamber, blunt force trauma, etc.). Humane for these individuals is more about stopping any further suffering of the animal versus how it is achieved. 

When you look at the majority of individuals, most do not have any issues with animals being dispatched provided it is done reasonably quickly with minimal pain and discomfort. Individuals that support hunting, fishing, trapping, and meat farming activities make up the majority of this group. This group’s definition of humane has more to do with how the animal will be treated during the dispatch process than with the actual taking of the animal’s life. The majority of individuals I know performing hunting, fishing, trapping and meat farming have the same belief as above regarding how the animal should be treated, but the difference is that they have to look at how the animal will be used before they can determine how the animal will be dispatched. Humane for these individuals has more to do with the choosing the appropriate dispatch method than performing the dispatch. Lastly, there are those individuals that have no issue with taking the life of an animal nor do they have any issues with how it is done. For these individuals, humane is more about entertainment and rights (i.e., human superiority) than anything to do with how the animal will be used or any suffering it must go through. 

Now if we look at the sociological side of this it becomes very interesting as individuals can change the group and definition of human based on the animal the definition is being applied to. For instance, it may be wrong to dispatch any wild mammal with large eyes, but it is absolutely fine to kill livestock, fish, reptiles and insects. Likewise, it may be acceptable to kill wild animals, but unacceptable to kill cats, dogs or specific species. Additionally, how the individual performing the dispatch has been raised can account for what is considered acceptable and humane. These quick examples show how we have a large base of actions/beliefs that range from never to dead is dead no matter how long it takes or suffering involved based on multiple factors. 

Specific to hunting and wildlife control actions, you need to start by looking at how animals die, how the dead animal will be used, and how it will be recovered. When focusing on shooting, animals die by severe disruption of the central nervous system (brain shot) or by loss of blood (everything else). Despite popular opinion, it doesn’t take 1,000 fpe to kill a white-tail deer with a bullet. Rather, a better way to look at this is it takes approximately 1,000 fpe for the bullet to perform the way it was designed to perform. If there isn’t enough energy, the bullet may not penetrate far enough into the animal and it may not expand properly whereas if there is too much energy you can get too much penetration and again it may not expand properly. Both of these situations can create problems, most notably lack of hydrostatic shock and a clean wound channel.

Hydrostatic shock is a shockwave that goes through the animal’s body causing trauma to tissues, organs, blood vessels and nerves around the bullet impact area. This can be important when choosing a bullet as the more trauma the animal receives, the faster the animal goes down. During times when there isn’t enough hydrostatic shock from the shot for whatever reason (bullet design, slower projectile from black powder or air rifle, etc.) you want a ragged wound channel as this increases the trauma resulting in more tissue being destroyed and thus more blood vessels being broken and torn making it harder for the body to repair itself. This is also why the military use FMJ (full metal jacket) bullets instead of hunting bullets (i.e., fragmenting). A FMJ bullet minimalizes tissue damage versus a hunting bullet that is meant to maximize tissue damage. 

This concept is similar to that of using a broadhead on an arrow instead of a target point for hunting. If you shoot an animal with an arrow tipped with a target point, there will be relatively little trauma created as the wound channel will only be the size of the target point (think of stepping on a nail). On the other hand, if you use a broadhead you will cut a wound channel rather than punch one, and you will cause trauma away from the arrow shaft as well as getting better penetration (again, more trauma). 

Taking this very quick explanation, we can now get back to the question. First off, most big game hunters will not take head shots since the head is the trophy and by doing so, they’d ruin it. Secondly, as already stated for bigger animals a bad head shot can result in unintentional damage to the animal allowing the animal to escape before any type of follow-up shot can be taken. As many hunters now have to pay (sometimes thousands of dollars) for the opportunity to hunt a location/species with the generally accepted rule (sometimes law) that a wounded animal counts as a dead animal, it doesn’t make sense to take a high risk shot. Third, when using a hunting bullet, the bullet is designed to mushroom or fall apart unlike an arrow or air rifle pellet/slug. This makes a chest shot with a hunting bullet the more ethical shot in many cases as an air rifle pellet/slug will perform similar to the target arrow analogy above. Lastly, big game hunters as a group are taught to not take head shots as it is such a small target and many bullets may not get good penetration before fragmenting. Instead, hunters are taught to wait for the classical broadside chest or quartering away shot instead where again, the bullet can perform as designed. 

This isn’t to say that head shots aren’t ever taken as many hunters do so, but it is mainly with non-fragmenting or non-expanding bullets (this is the class most air rifle pellets fall in to) on small to medium sized game. For these animals (rabbits, squirrels, raccoon, etc.) head shots are encouraged as they are generally hunted for food or pelts rather than head trophies. In these cases, a head shot is generally preferable as 1) the smaller head size means that a miss does not carry with it the same injury chance it does with the larger head size of big game, 2) helps prevents the animal from not being recovered by dropping it immediately instead of having it run off and tuck into an area where it cannot be found, 3) eliminates damage to the meat so more of the animal can be consumed and 4) minimizes damage to the pelt resulting in a higher selling price. 

My guess is that the group that most likely takes the biggest number of head shots on all wild animals are those doing wildlife control. These individuals have a need to drop the animal in their tracks that many hunters do not. Those doing this commercially or for a governmental agency may have to show proof they shot the animal as they may be getting paid/compensated by the animal and cannot afford to not recover chest/gut shot animals or waste time with extensively tracking them. Also, remember that most commercial operators and governmental personnel are being paid to remove multiple animals that are causing damage instead of using any shot animals for food or pelts. This can be different with individuals doing wildlife control on a noncommercial basis even though they also will be targeting problem animals, but as there is not the same economic reason for them to do so. Hence, they may be doing so for entertainment, skill improvement, or protection of property instead of offering a service or fulfilling a governmental task. Also, it is important to point out that many laws in the US do not allow for usage of the meat or pelt from problem wildlife taken by commercial operators and governmental agency personnel and thus the animal must be thrown away whereas many individuals are able to keep and utilize animals they shoot.

With enough BC the animal will never feel a thing if hit in the right spot. With powder burners a good heart and both lungs shot also takes out a major nerve complex and instantly renders the animal unconscious due to hydro-static shock and then dies without ever again waking up. This generally requires destroying at least the near shoulder of a deer. The meat saver shot six inches aft will allow an animal to run up to 100 yards. A head shot risks a very bad kill by being a couple inches low and or forward.

I hate killing animals. I do it all the time as it's part of my job as a ranch manager. With pests, though I try to kill them absolutely humanely, I'm not going to NOT take a shot because I can't get a perfect kill. Pigs especially. If I can get a bullet into a pig I take the shot. Every time. I shoot a lot of squirrels with my .25 Wildcat. 98% of them die very very quickly if not instantaneously.

As for game, as in deer or elk, I absolutely refuse to take anything BUT a near perfect shot. I hate one having to suffer and I hate having to track them down and then sometimes having to dispatch them.

"Goodtogo"I always go with the P.E.T.A. guide............................................People Eating Tasty Animals ;)

If the game is something you can cook, then cook and eat it. If its a pest animal try to feed it too something that is not a pest.
There is another guide as well S.P.C.A. .....................................Society for Preparation of Culinary Animals :p

Thurmond

My main motivation in shooting an animal is to recover it as soon as possible and as near to the sight of my shot as possible. That requires good shot placement and that results in a humane kill. I have seen enough animal on animal predation to know natures way is much more brutal than my way. I have seen what mange does to coyotes and foxes and I have seen raccoons with distemper, not pretty. Talk about a long, lingering and painful death. Nasty. Clean kills are humane kills and I always strive for that.

"Smaug"A lot of folks are saying what they do, which we already know.

But not a lot of folks are answering the original question.
I think that's because it's not cut AND dried. It's not possible to bale it up in a neat package, because it's relative to the circumstances. In the case of defense or a harmful pest, any shot, then a humane follow-up. If it's pesting squirrels because they've chewed on the eaves, wiring, or under the car hood, I still try to be precise and make critical kill shot placement, because there is no rush and no reason to make it cruel. If it's a hunting situation with powder burner, then I try and make the best shot first(neck on whitetails for me), which is usually possible. I always tell my kids and nephews though, there is nothing wrong with heart/lung because they don't have my experience. Head shots are determined by the quarry. A doe for meat is perfectly fine through the brain with a powder burner, but I still choose neck. A buck, no head unless you don't care about the rack.
With pellets I limit my hunting to small game. I will choose head first if it's available, then heart/ lung. Neck only on squirrel/rat size, as a pellet may not cause enough damage on anything larger. 
So I guess that is saying, humane is a relative term. It is situational and not cut and dried. Airgunners are not necessarily more humane. They must be more precise out of necessity, because a pellet does not produce as much damage as an expanding powder round. The precision needed makes them seem more humane, but a powder burner bullet is more forgiving in that it is a better tool for killing. Just my opinion. I pick a pellet rifle for other qualities, like silence, no recoil, less down range problems, yard friendly, legal in town where I live, etcetera. 

Reactions: Nueces
On pest birds, I don´t really care where I hit them - anywhere in the upper half of the body with a .22 Predator Polymag and the´yre done but I still try to go for headshots within a reasonable range (under 60 yards). For longer ranges, I aim at the neck - if the pellet goes high, its a head shot, if its spot on, its a neck shot, if it drops low, its a heart shot. For rabbits basically the same thing - head under 60 yards, body over 60 yards.

It happened to every hunter that he injured an animal without recovering it. Its a mishap and you shouldn´t feel too bad about it - look at nature´s way... cats toying with mice, ripping birds apart alive... Lions attacking gazelles, biting out chunks of meat and so on and so forth. All that really counts is your intent. When you always strive for the perfect and clean kill shot and once in a while your pellet wobbled or you pulled the shot and the animal dies slowly and in pain. that´s simply life. You did your best and tried to recover it for a coup de grace... and its still no worse death than if it was attacked by a predator. 

With that being said, I always try to get a clean shot but if it is a pest, I will put the pellet up its ass if it doesn´t expose itself completely. When you shoot something like a squirrel in the ass with a powerful enough airgun, the pellet will still pass into its vitals if not completely through it. I don´t really care if it drops on the spot or dies 10 seconds later but within the frame of given possibilities, I always try to make the cleanest kill possible. If the only given possibility is to put a pellet up its ass, so be it - but if the animal is no pest and I intend to eat it, I will always wait for a clean heart and lung or head shot.