hunting and drones

I have and use a DJI Mini 3 Standard drone and it's very quiet. So, it depends on the drone for quiet flight and your friend can also fly high enough so the ground squirrels cannot hear it. 50-60 feet high and unless it's a large drone should be inaudible. At 15-20 feet I have a tough time hearing mine but squirrels probably have better hearing.

Reactions: qball and DaMitch
Check with your DNR first. Many states have regulations against using drones while hunting. They see it as an unfair advantage and it can get you into a TON of trouble! You would be better using a hand held camera to avoid any trouble.

Though I can say my race quad, a 5" 4s 1300mah power house, will make them spook right away when flying higher up and just cruising around, but after a little bit they are not bothered by it. I will sometimes fly in an area with some gophers and when they hear the noise long enough they are ok. Though when ripping around a few feet off the ground they will spook everytime.

Check with your DNR first. Many states have regulations against using drones while hunting. They see it as an unfair advantage and it can get you into a TON of trouble! You would be better using a hand held camera to avoid any trouble.

Though I can say my race quad, a 5" 4s 1300mah power house, will make them spook right away when flying higher up and just cruising around, but after a little bit they are not bothered by it. I will sometimes fly in an area with some gophers and when they hear the noise long enough they are ok. Though when ripping around a few feet off the ground they will spook everytime.
I'm on private land, they can jump in the lake or pound sand for all I care. The critters are wary of things flying around, lots of hawks, I try to feed them and the buzzards.

I'm on private land, they can jump in the lake or pound sand for all I care. The critters are wary of things flying around, lots of hawks, I try to feed them and the buzzards.

Game wardens can get onto private land legally unlike the police. However unless someone reports you there is near zero chance of that happening.

I was just out hitting GS today with some friends and they were VERy weary for whatever reason. Think a drone will be fine 50-60ft up but there was only 1 GS that popped up under 200 yards today and it won’t be doing that again. Good thing is if they get spooked just land the drone and they will get comfortable again in 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Game wardens can get onto private land legally unlike the police. However unless someone reports you there is near zero chance of that happening.

I was just out hitting GS today with some friends and they were VERy weary for whatever reason. Think a drone will be fine 50-60ft up but there was only 1 GS that popped up under 200 yards today and it won’t be doing that again. Good thing is if they get spooked just land the drone and they will get comfortable again in 5 minutes.
Well we got the drone up and barely got it down, gave up on the drone and just went after the rodents.