Hunting 5 Auto vs other quality sporters

Hi guys,

I picked up the Steyr Pro X and I though that would scratch my itch... It is a spectacular rifle but I really like the way sporters feel, shoulder, point and look. I'm just used to that style.

My old Air Arms S400 that I got used in 2006 served me well over the years. But, the trigger on mine isn't that great and the cocking on the bolt action is pretty stiff. The safety did fall out about a year ago but the gun still fires. Otherwise it was very reliable, accurate and has great ergonomics.

My question is how does the Hunting 5 feel, shoulder and point? Is it as good in those areas as the other sporters?

What I'm looking for is something tuned down to the 12 FPE range for maximum shot count. This will be a back yard target gun with ranges set at 10, 18, and 35 yards. 177 probably makes the most sense but I would go for the 22 if that got better shot counts. At slower speeds the 177 would probably be better since it will leave the barrel quicker than the 22.

At any rate, the other guns that have my interest are the HW100 carbine, Air Arms S510 carbine, and Daystate Huntsman Revere.

On the other hand, a semi auto is a really fun feature. 

I'd appreciate your thoughts,

Dave

I like sporters, I have the H5 Semi and the Kalibrgun Carbine .22. Both of equal weight, similar barrel length, although OAL of H5 is bit shorter.

I find the H5 shoulders and points the best, it has good trigger. It just feels right. Biggest downside is the 5shot mag.

Only sporter that I think migth shoulder better is the Revere. But that has lower shotcount in highpower, and I think is less well built. 

Good luck choosing, Mike

PS the support from Steyr Austria is wonderfull, they speak english well, and are willing to help out - either by phone or by fixing stuff directly if so needed.

I had a Hunting 5. Build quality really is exceptional. No plastic parts (unlike the edgun I swapped it for!) However, negative points are of course the 5 shot capacity of the magazine, but also max fill pressure is only 200bar which is not so OK if shooting gun at max power which by the way is limited to 32fpe at 0.22 calibre which is OK but other 0.22 guns I own can get up to 38fpe. The barrel needs special adaptor for the moderator which is essential as it is loud, so adding moderator adds to extra OAL.

I've been shooting my 6 fpe Steyr LGB1 biathlon rifle more the last couple weeks. I like shooting it more than my FWB 601.

This is mostly done at 10M on paper but I've shot it out to 100Y before with success on a 3" spinner with 8.4gr JSB diabolo's. At 35Y it still does quite well, with dime sized groups if its calm.

What I'm getting at is the balance and weight distribution seems perfect for me??!! It has great erogos and the LOP as well as the cheek height is adjustable. The trigger can be set to what I want - far superior feeling than the one in my ProX. I also like the 5 shot mags and the special type of biathlon cocking mechanism it uses. It also gets a lot of shots before I have to fill it. 

Maybe not a hunting rifle but it sure is a fun plinker and at 6fpe guessing the wind right is part of the challenge and fun of shooting this rifle.

Even though mine cocks with the lever for each shot I think you can get these in a semiauto version still???

It's one of those guns that sits in the safe for a long time then when you get it out and shoot it you wonder why you stopped!