• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunter FT scopes

About a year ago, someone asked what scopes Hunter FT shooters were liking. I am looking for a scope for Hunter FT, and would like to hear a 2019 update for those of you shooting Hunter FT. A year ago, among other scopes, several that were mentioned were the Aztec Emerald 5.5-25x50, the Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x50 and the Hawke Airmax because of its reticle. I am not wanting to spend $1500 for a scope. Clarity, ranging ability, reticle and illumination would be key. Our FT range is in the woods, and some lanes get pretty dark. Any comments and insight is appreciated.

I use a Athlon Optics, Argos BTR, Riflescope, 6-24x50 First Focal Plane (FFP) on my TX200 MKIII .177 with one of Rabitt's Eccentric Style Parallax Wheels for HFT. I'm going to be moving this optic to an Air Arms TX200 MKIII HC in .22 and replacing it with a Model 17410 Hawke Sidewinder 4-16x50 FFP because the cross hairs will be larger at 16 power and the illumination will be brighter. Ask me in a year if it was a good decision. The Athlon Scope has been wonderful. Highly recommend it. I will also be putting one of Rabitt's Eccentric Style Parallax Wheels on the Hawke Sidewinder too.

I'm going to be sooo screwed when my current HFT scope dies .... It is the obsolete OPTISAN VIPER 4-16x50

This scope IMO is still the best scope in use for HFT. & ranges excellent, great christmas tree SCB reticle & illumination too !

4 state championships, a nationals win & 2018's Gran prix all won using the optisan viper.

Seeing and looking threw a LOT of other scopes on competitors guns, I really have no friggen clue what i would choose in current optics to use at 16 x in hunter class ?

1561851885_15846934355d17f7ed5992e6.09852333_FB_IMG_1561851602572.jpg
Scott, this one?

download.png
1561851754_20129455355d17f76a80ffc2.00441638_FB_IMG_1561851602572.jpg

I'm going to be sooo screwed when my current HFT scope dies .... It is the obsolete OPTISAN VIPER 4-16x50

This scope IMO is still the best scope in use for HFT. & ranges excellent, great christmas tree SCB reticle & illumination too !

4 state championships, a nationals win & 2018's Gran prix all won using the optisan viper.

Seeing and looking threw a LOT of other scopes on competitors guns, I really have no friggen clue what i would choose in current optics to use at 16 x in hunter class ?

Why would it die? On a PCP, and no clicking, it could last indefinitely, as long as you don't abuse it.

I'm not sure that assessing whether or not a particular model of scope is good for field target ranging work is as simple as, "yes"for x and "no" for y.

What I mean is that there seems to be a lot of variance from one specimen to the next. I have 3 of the 20x SWFA scopes and have spent a fair amount of time looking through them all for field target, on different pcps and springers. One of my three identical model/manufacturer/power scopes has much better glass than the other two.