Hunter field target Scope-Hi power or low for ranging?

I am new to Hunter field target and putting together a set up. I see you are allowed a maximum of 16 power when you shoot. You can use as much magnification as you want for ranging, then reset the magnification before you shoot. Is a higher power scope better for ranging purposes? I have a 15 power Athlon but would consider more if it helps with ranging. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is off of the AAFTA sight for Hunter class.
  1. Optical sights of any reticle style may be used but are limited to a maximum of 16 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater than 16X must be turned to the 16X or nearest lower factory marking on the scope.

They could clarify this a bit more....(maybe add "this includes ranging and shooting")

Reactions: cavedweller
This is off of the AAFTA sight for Hunter class.
  1. Optical sights of any reticle style may be used but are limited to a maximum of 16 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater than 16X must be turned to the 16X or nearest lower factory marking on the scope.

They could clarify this a bit more....(maybe add "this includes ranging and shooting")
“…must be turned to 16x or nearest” would preclude any lower settings.

Though the rules say otherwise, most match directors allow you to adjust the scope during the match in order to use lower magnifications. So the following is usually allowed.

“Variable scopes of greater than 16X must be turned to the 16X or any lower factory marking on the scope.”

Reactions: Centercut
The way the rules are stated, you should be able to do whatever you want with the scope just do not exceed 16X at any time. You may want to use a lower power at some time, which I believe is legal. The rules do not say you cannot adjust your scope, just states max power is 16. Again, they could clarify this by adding "16x max at any time" to the rule book.

The way the rules are stated, you should be able to do whatever you want with the scope just do not exceed 16X at any time. You may want to use a lower power at some time, which I believe is legal. The rules do not say you cannot adjust your scope, just states max power is 16. Again, they could clarify this by adding "16x max at any time" to the rule book.
If talking the HUNTER CLASS ( See hi-light above ) does not apply .. as you ARE NOT permitted to touch windage or elevation turrets even if only needing a few clicks of adjustment. If you start the match & find yourself not quite zeroed correctly it's too bad and you need to just compensate best you can.

I am new to Hunter field target and putting together a set up. I see you are allowed a maximum of 16 power when you shoot. You can use as much magnification as you want for ranging, then reset the magnification before you shoot. Is a higher power scope better for ranging purposes? I have a 15 power Athlon but would consider more if it helps with ranging. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
HFT is limited to 16X only
You are allowed to reduce magnification on forced lanes and return it to 16X but you should always check with your match director.
Money - it’s a waste to buy too much magnification when what you really need is a scope that ranges accurately and repeatedly; thus accurately determines your distance to your target which is critical.
Consider finding a scope with a parallax wheel which really spreads out the distance markers. See picture below which is an Element Titan 3-18 with 34mm scope tube body with a 6” parallax wheel.
It’s also important that the scope can precisely focus down to 10 yards.
Many scopes will separate the close distances nicely but suffer from a lack of adequate separation past 40 yards.
Learn to range (focus routine) exactly the same way every time at every target.. this routine should be exactly as when you’re doing the initial set up.
JD Garland or skope werks make excellent magnetic parallax wheels.
Happy shooting!
IMG_7643.jpeg

Last edited: