Humane kill advice please

I'm trying to rid the neighborhood of the abundance of rabbits that suddenly are exploding everywhere. (surprise, surprise...they breed like bunnies!!) My neighbors fully support the work and I have permission to take them in their yards. But even with their permission and knowledge, I want to keep the sound to the absolute minimum. That leaves me using my Veteran .22 or my Mrod in .177. I've found the Vet, as quiet as it is, echoes between the houses. Not loud, but at 11pm, it's more noise than I want to make. The Mrod is much quieter. Both have DonnyFLs on them. Most shots are 25 yards or so and I usually use a standing monopod for sure stability and accuracy, all but promising a good, clean head shot. 

So my question: is a solid head shot on a rabbit with a .177 considered humane? Is that enough energy to be considered a quick, clean kill. I KNOW the Vet .22 is, as it took the entire forehead off the animal last night. I know this is basic to most of you, but I've never been a hunter, so guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing. 

And if I'm overthinking the noise coming from the Vet., but all means tell me so. I've always been sensitive to noise, so this all could just be in my head. 

Thanks.

Cottontail rabbits are perhaps the most fragile small game animal. I don't mean to suggest one can afford to be careless with shot placement but if you place the shot to the brain, it takes very little energy. For example the last one I shot in my yard was at 30 yards with a 6fpe CO2 rifle running a leisurely 565fps (6fpe) at the muzzle, so something like 480fps (4.3fpe) on impact. To the brain, it did the high jump routine and landed on its back stone dead. Granted that rifle would not be my first choice but I would happily take a ~10fpe or greater .177 out for bunnies at modest ranges like you're doing.

Reactions: Deleted 45061
I'm trying to rid the neighborhood of the abundance of rabbits that suddenly are exploding everywhere. (surprise, surprise...they breed like bunnies!!) My neighbors fully support the work and I have permission to take them in their yards. But even with their permission and knowledge, I want to keep the sound to the absolute minimum. That leaves me using my Veteran .22 or my Mrod in .177. I've found the Vet, as quiet as it is, echoes between the houses. Not loud, but at 11pm, it's more noise than I want to make. The Mrod is much quieter. Both have DonnyFLs on them. Most shots are 25 yards or so and I usually use a standing monopod for sure stability and accuracy, all but promising a good, clean head shot. 

So my question: is a solid head shot on a rabbit with a .177 considered humane? Is that enough energy to be considered a quick, clean kill. I KNOW the Vet .22 is, as it took the entire forehead off the animal last night. I know this is basic to most of you, but I've never been a hunter, so guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing. 

And if I'm overthinking the noise coming from the Vet., but all means tell me so. I've always been sensitive to noise, so this all could just be in my head. 

Thanks.

If you’re that close shoot em through the eyes if you can. They don’t put up much of a struggle. Done that with a .25 at about 15 yards or so and it just fell over and barely kicked a few times. Even if you’re off a little most often you still have taken a decent shot. I think it’s best to take shots from within a range that you have practiced shooting from and that you’re confident shooting from. 

I’ve taken a rabbit with a neck shot from .177 springer with iron sights at about 10 yards. Then walked up to finish it up close because I wasn’t sure if it was having involuntary muscle contractions or suffering. A well placed headshot on a rabbit should be fine. Guys in the UK take em with sub-12 ft/lb rifles frequently. Headshots tend to make a noise that sounds like a knock on wood especially if you shoot them from the front (between the eyes). It’s brief and most people won’t have a clue what that sound was at 11pm if they even hear it. Remember that people will likely be indoors behind walls and glass and watching TV or asleep during the hours you mentioned. If you’re unsure about the noise level, have someone inside your home assess the sound of your shooting in the backyard during the daytime so that you have an idea about the sound level and make adjustments as you see fit (i.e. affix a moderator if necessary).

Rabbits are pretty delicate animals. You can take them humanely using .177 caliber pellets with well placed headshots, but if you’re not confident use your .22. I’m speaking of my experiences shooting cottontail rabbits which don’t get too big. I’m not sure which species of rabbit you have in your region. When in doubt I suggest that you send a follow up shot or walk up to the animal and finish them off quickly. 

Reactions: SHOMER
Rabbits do go down easy and with your guns the thwack of a headshot will be the loudest sound . For .177 Hades or H&N Baracuda Hunter extreme 9.57 gr work very well at 30' or less, wherever they group over 12 - 20 fpe. Take the time to get your range dialed in; I have a map of mine with holdovers on certain landmarks and throw gumballs or jelly beans around for practice. Good luck!

I've killed them with less than 6 FPE in 177 out of my HW30. 

However I prefer 25 Polymags below 500 FPS to minimize pass through & so I can take shots to the vitals if presented. Overkill but extremely quiet out of my Classic Leshiy. 

Do you know what speed your Taipan is shooting? Do you have a speed dialer? I bet you can make it as quiet as your Marauder. 

Also. Have somebody else shoot both rifles while you stand a distance away. Preferably at something far away so you can rule out impact noise. You'll likely be surprised at how quiet it is. 

This is one of those things I read time & time again but still kept chasing a quiet tune. Then I tried it with a new airgun that was obviously louder & realized it was something I should have tried sooner.

I've killed them with less than 6 FPE in 177 out of my HW30. 

However I prefer 25 Polymags below 500 FPS to minimize pass through & so I can take shots to the vitals if presented. Overkill but extremely quiet out of my Classic Leshiy. 

Do you know what speed your Taipan is shooting? Do you have a speed dialer? I bet you can make it as quiet as your Marauder. 

Also. Have somebody else shoot both rifles while you stand a distance away. Preferably at something far away so you can rule out impact noise. You'll likely be surprised at how quiet it is. 

This is one of those things I read time & time again but still kept chasing a quiet tune. Then I tried it with a new airgun that was obviously louder & realized it was something I should have tried sooner.

I agree with you , I would dial that vet down for quietness. Rabbit is super easy kill , as a kid I took them with a sling shot with steel shot, but only if I could get a clean head shot.

Considering a solid head shot is not good enough, you should use which gun you think you might be more likely to make solid BRAIN shots with if you want to avoid turning your neighbors against you when they encounter bunnies missing head and face parts... dead or alive!

Trust me.

Absolutely right!

There is a solid truth behind the adverse feeling in regard of making animals to suffer because a bad shot or an insufficient weapon to take them.

In my particular case and because of my personal skills, I decided to migrate from bow and arrow, to PCP .357 Cal for deer hunting. I am not good enought to ethically hunt with bow and arrow.

Considering a solid head shot is not good enough, you should use which gun you think you might be more likely to make solid BRAIN shots with if you want to avoid turning your neighbors against you when they encounter bunnies missing head and face parts... dead or alive!

Trust me.

YES, YES,YES!!!! Thank you AirNGasman!! / Nothing makes my skin crawl as to watch these jack wagons on youtube post "head shots" on squirrels. Eyes blowing out, twitching etc.. Hit the brain!! 

The rabbit heart/lung area is a much larger target than the brain. PROD pistol and Katsu with 14.3gr JSB @~600fps is nearly silent. As is a Leshiy Classic .25 with 20grn H&N. at the same velocity.

I've only had one head-shot rabbit do the "death screech", but once was enough for me to switch to the heart/lung option. Hard to push air with collapsed lungs..and your neighbors will definitely hear the scream if it happens.