Huma regulator service interval?

Hey folks! I was curious if anyone had input on a Huma regulator service interval. I've got 6,000? Or more shots on this regulator. It's in my .177 Marauder. I did run a 55 shot string through the chronograph and extreme spread was 13(or 19?) and standard deviation was 2. So, its still very consistent. The set pressure has crept up to 1750psi from 1650psi over the past 18 months. I am considering a tear down before the PNW outdoor field target season kicks off. I don't want to have an issue in the midst of the summer. So, how long do you go before servicing your regulator? Or do you wait until you see issues?

For a competition gun, when it shows symptoms or every 2 years, whichever comes first. Seat wear is usually the first thing to show up as an elevated setpoint and eventually slow creep.

For a gun that gets shot regularly, the O-rings usually outlive the seat. But I’ve serviced some that have spent too much time idle and just aged out. The O-rings become hard and brittle. Better to just replace them to be on the safe side.

For a competition gun, when it shows symptoms or every 2 years, whichever comes first. Seat wear is usually the first thing to show up as an elevated setpoint and eventually slow creep.

For a gun that gets shot regularly, the O-rings usually outlive the seat. But I’ve serviced some that have spent too much time idle and just aged out. The O-rings become hard and brittle. Better to just replace them to be on the safe side.
I did rebuild this one previously, flipping the sealing disc over. I think that one had 2500 shots on it but seemed to creep up overnight. I have a rebuild kit on hand.

The OEM discs are a fairly soft material. It makes for a quick break-in period but not so great for longevity. If you’re a DIY person, you can get 1mm thick Delrin stock and punch out your own replacements.
Thanks for the tip! I might stop by our local plastic store and see what they have.
I DIY as much as possible. And if I can increase performance/longevity, even better!

I did hear back from Huma. This was their reply...

"There is not a interval for this. If you have an important upcoming competition for example we would say clean it just to be sure but we’ve had customers who had the regulator installed for 5-10 years without issues.
As soon as you experience a major difference in the shot count I would recommend to give it a clean up"

As one who services likely 20-30 HuMa regs every season .... The factory response IMO is one of marketing & consumer viewpoint protection & QUITE LACKING in reality.

If a PCP is UNGASSED when stored .. YES it will go for years w/o service needs, Always stored under Pressure ... NO WAY.
And THIS is why I asked those who do have real world experience instead of just contacting the manufacturer. Thank you for taking the time to reply with valued input fellas! I did break down the gun and rebuilt the regulator. Gun going back together currently.

Hey folks! I was curious if anyone had input on a Huma regulator service interval. I've got 6,000? Or more shots on this regulator. It's in my .177 Marauder. I did run a 55 shot string through the chronograph and extreme spread was 13(or 19?) and standard deviation was 2. So, its still very consistent. The set pressure has crept up to 1750psi from 1650psi over the past 18 months. I am considering a tear down before the PNW outdoor field target season kicks off. I don't want to have an issue in the midst of the summer. So, how long do you go before servicing your regulator? Or do you wait until you see issues?
i have taken them apart its not hard clean and put a light coat of silicone oil and put it back together take you time make sure the washer are correct and i must have had a piece of trash on mine and the problem was solved

Regarding treating the Belleville washers as service items, I looked at some fatigue curves at one point that suggested to me it’s not something that needs to be on our radar. Nor have I ever heard of anyone managing to wear out a set. Probably a vastly greater chance of users occasionally stacking a configuration that accidentally squeezes and inverts a washer, in which case it then acts like a shim.

@nervoustrig @Motorhead - Thank you for the replies gentlemen!
Have rebuilt only a few regs, never messing with the stack... & will continue with that modus operandi.

Agree with @Pea-shooter O.G. , no substitute for the voice of experience. Not going to let your hard earned knowledge go to waste... never took much interest in reinventing the wheel 😁

Reactions: Pea-shooter O.G.