Air Venturi Huggett snype standard vs Buck-Rail 3D printed moderator

Yesterday I tested this Huggett moderator in .25 cal in my first gen .22 avenger and I noticed a huge increase not only in accuracy but in sound deduction as well vs the Buck-Rail moderador. I decided to perform this test since several people swear that “supposedly” this 3D printed moderators are as good and efficient as the more expensive high end ones but I discovered that this theory is completely false, that’s why you have to take all what you read in the internet with a grain of salt. This despite it was not a fair comparison because this moderator was a .25 cal instead of the smaller .177/.22 that comes with a smaller id that is supposed to be even more quieter. I was so impressed with this results that I bought two more in the smaller .177/22 caliber for my others airguns and going to sell my DonnyFL moderators because they look much better also. This 3D moderator reminds me the popular saying, “you get what you pay for”….🤷‍♂️🙄.

IMG_7873.jpeg

IMG_7874.jpeg

IMG_6289.png

Last edited:
Yesterday I tested this Huggett moderator in .25 cal in my first gen .22 avenger and I noticed a huge increase not only in accuracy but in sound deduction as well vs the Buck-Rail moderador. I decided to perform this test since several people swear that “supposedly” this 3D printed moderators are as good and efficient as the more expensive high end ones but I discovered that this theory is completely false, that’s why you have to take all what you read in the internet with a grain of salt. This despite it was not a fair comparison because this moderator was a .25 cal instead of the smaller .177/.22 that comes with a smaller id that is supposed to be even more quieter. I was so impressed with this results that I bought two more in the smaller .177/22 caliber for my others airguns and going to sell my DonnyFL moderators because they look much better also.

View attachment 412451

View attachment 412452

View attachment 412461
I have not tested the hugget but I prefer the human mod moderators over the donny fl ones, at least the older ones. I haven't tried any of the new ones.

20231204_092226.jpg

I have a buck rail on a few guns and for the price (which I hate saying) it’s hard to beat. I think if you plan to get the most out of a moderator and you expect $40 to preform like $200 then whoever is saying that is just wrong or super lucky with their set up. I know for a fact my buck rail doesn’t out preform the upper tier but for my work, I just needed something.

In total, I agree but think the buck rail offers quite a bit of performance for the small cost.

I have a buck rail on a few guns and for the price (which I hate saying) it’s hard to beat. I think if you plan to get the most out of a moderator and you expect $40 to preform like $200 then whoever is saying that is just wrong or super lucky with their set up. I know for a fact my buck rail doesn’t out preform the upper tier but for my work, I just needed something.

In total, I agree but think the buck rail offers quite a bit of performance for the small cost.
TC , I hear you ! Just yesterday I switched a BR moderator from my Factor RC to a Donny Tatsu . Much more sound reduction . Yes the BR
's are more economical , but they cannot compare to others. I do have several of each brand.

Reactions: Ray_PR and TC724
If someone will like to know what are the difference in sizes between all this moderators here is a pic about a few of them side by side. From left to right, the Huggett snipe standard, Buck-Rail 3D printed, followed by the DonnyFL Sumo and FX moderators. I noticed that the accuracy between the DonnyFL FX and the Huggett are exactly the same, maybe tomorrow I will compare the Sumo vs the Huggett in my new Avenge-X in .22 cal as soon I receive the ones that comes with the smaller .177/.22 id to see if I can noticed any difference in sound deduction and accuracy between both. My Avenge-X in .22 cal is a complete tack driver but I am doing all the shooting with the aftermarket Carm magazines in this particular airgun.

IMG_7908.jpeg

IMG_6286.png

IMG_7450.jpeg

Last edited:
I have always thought of the 3d printed moderators to be unsafe, and wondered how long before they deteriorate and fail.
I've been printing completely half-assed (printed fast/minimal infill) 3d printed moderators for a while. I have found them to be incredibly durable. I'm having a hard time imaging how they would be dangerous when they fail. They aren't likely to explode into shrapnel...

Also...

In my experience testing moderators, 3d printed monolithic designs (where the outer shell is also printed) have been disappointing. I've seen the same internals inside a CF tube resulting in a better sounding moderator. I have not been diligent enough in my testing to quantify this... but it was enough to convince me that 3d printed shells were less than ideal.

If you pick up an entirely 3d printed part and tap it with your fingernail... with most filaments you'll hear them ring a bit. I have to think that the energy hitting the baffles is very effectively being transmitted to the outer shell and to our ears with much of the high frequency components intact. Any discontinuity between baffles and shell should help... even if it's hard plastic baffles against a hard CF tube. Adding a small airgap, or flexible material between the baffles and the outer shell does even better. This seems to hold true for simple and complex baffle designs... both have benefitted when I focused my design attention on isolating the internals from the externals.