Huggett Snipe moderator question

My two cents and I own a Huggett, For piece of mind I would go with the .30 cal. As I personally do with all my calibers is to go one size larger. I once had a problem with a '0' db in .25 that pellet clipped on my .25 rifles. But was fine on my .22's . I never put it on my FX Streamline .25. But that rifle is quiet to begin with. I am in agreement with Cannonball, if I may summarize, the difference is probably negligible. He does offer a money back gaurantee for the free advice given. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: SHOMER
I won't ever be moving up to a 30 caliber, ammo is too expensive and the extra energy isn't needed for my typical range and prey (60yds max). I'm 100% satisfied with my 22 and 25 caliber rifles, with that being said should I still up size to the 30 to be safe?
Yes, and poor accuracy due to clipping will never be a concern.
I use a 30 hugget snipe on my 22 impact, one on my 30 impact, and one on my 25 wildcat. All 30 cal snipes

I’ve never understood this logic. If clipping is an issue, the rifle has a problem, not the moderator. A a rifle that clips a moderator is going to have lousy accuracy without one. (Unless the moderator is crap)

Do you “next size up” a 30 cal rifle moderator?
As explained to me by DonnyFL himself, differences in machining tolerances can lead to clipping.
Other factors- droopy barrel, moderator loosens on the threads, barrel shroud pulled to one side, etc.

And yes, the first DFL shogun I ever bought for a 30 cal Donny opened it up to .357. Me personally, have had to open up one 30 cal moderator for clipping reasons unknown to me. None of my Hugget snipes have needed to be opened up, which is why they’re the only moderators I buy if I do buy. Typically I use the FX three piece tubes and insert 3D cone baffles in them, and always opt for a 30 cal discharge hole no matter what caliber.

But that’s me

Reactions: DellaDog
My maverick currently is 600mm in 22 caliber with a Huma Mod40 compact moderator and it works fantastic. Didn't need to use the middle section even with the power turned up in the area of 45-50FPE. But I know the 25 caliber set-up will be louder, so I'm in need of a quality moderator that will keep it backyard friendly. I'll be installing an 11g hammer weight when I do the barrel change so I know it's going to have more bark. Looks like I should go for the 30 caliber size to be safe.

Originally I was going to pick up a DonnyFL Sumo, but then did my research and found out the Huggett Snipe may be quieter. Even if it was equal in loudness I'd still pick the Huggett due to the smaller size. I've got a Sumo on my Cayden and that combo is mouse fart quiet.

Just to update I ended up ordering the 30 caliber to be safe. Thanks for the help!
I have a few Andrew Huggett moderators. I have enjoyed them for the most part. Ended up having a Snipe that had a clipping issue in 30 cal. I had issues getting customer care from Huggett directly after getting a fix from Huggett himself and told one thing to only get ignored in the end and never finished getting me taken care of. Gave up on it after that. Soured me on Huggett and started using DonnyFL exclusively and I am happy. DonnyFL has been responsive anytime I have questions or needs.

I have a few Andrew Huggett moderators. I have enjoyed them for the most part. Ended up having a Snipe that had a clipping issue in 30 cal. I had issues getting customer care from Huggett directly after getting a fix from Huggett himself and told one thing to only get ignored in the end and never finished getting me taken care of. Gave up on it after that. Soured me on Huggett and started using DonnyFL exclusively and I am happy. DonnyFL has been responsive anytime I have questions or needs.

Was the snipe on a 30 caliber gun? I ordered from Utah airguns so I should be good if I have any problems.

DonnyFL does indeed have great customer service. He helped me out with questions before I ordered my Sumo, and I've been extremely satisfied with its performance.