Hugget vs. Neil clague what's the difference

There is a third guy in the LDC palace named Donny , He makes some LDC that look very sweet like a short Carbon fiber oil filter,
I got one on my 22 Mutant and 25 Cricket , They are called fat boys ,
They got me to rethink the LDC thing in my mind, Every time I pull them out , even when I shoot them , Its like wow,
All my fire arm buddy's think I am going to jail, I have to tell them its 100 % legal on air guns.
Mike

I just received my FX wildcat .22 caliber on Friday and was surprised at how loud it is. I have a few questions. Firstis adding an aftermarket "silencer" better and quieter then adding the stackable moderator's that FX sells. I definitely don't like the look of the stacked ones.Second does adding the aftermarket LDCs affect the accuracy at all? Last how hard are they to install , are they just simple screw on's?

Most aftermarket LDC's should not effect accuracy. Sometimes they will, but you can accommodate for that through testing. They should be consistent. As far as how they are attached..... my opinion is that the best are threaded and attached to the front of your rifle either by adaptor or threaded barrel. The other option is that the LDC "slides" onto the barrel and is affixed by a grub screw. Multiple different options, but I agree with iride, Donny Du makes an excellent LDC! I have a few of his specimens and must say that I am very impressed with the design, efficiency, and looks. I also hear (or don't hear) that NC makes a nice product as well.

hope this helps 

Cally

I have a .22 FX Wildcat and agree it is on the louder side straight out of the box. I have the six piece FX stackable, a Neil Clague, and a Huggett. The Huggett is quietest, to my ears, followed by NC, and then the FX stackable. The difference in report between the Huggett and NC is small, while the difference to the FX stackable is notable.

The Huggett has the best fit & finish of the three by a wide margin, but it cost the most. To me, the FX stackable is aesthetically unpleasing but offers the opportunity to balance the overall length of the Wildcat with report.

I have not noticed any accuracy or POI issues with any of the three designs. All three screw onto the factory shroud.

The only way to know for sure is to try them both and see which one you like the best. Results are going to vary based on caliber, pellet weight, power level, barrel and/or shroud, and shooting location. I've got a Hugget on a Daystate .22 Regal XL, a Hugget on a .25 Brocock Compatto, and a Neil Clague (NC) on a .25 Air Arms S510 Xtra FAC and each one performs differently.

At full power, my wife thinks the .22 Hugget is the quietest followed closely by the .25 NC with the .25 Hugget being the loudest and I tend to agree. All three rifles have shrouded barrels that the moderators are mounted to. Also, keep in mind that the S510 has two vent holes by the breach so if those are plugged it may change how loud the NC becomes.

In terms of velocity and power, the .22 is shooting 18.21 gr H&N around 808 fps generating around 26 fpe at the moderator. If I use 16 gr diabolo pellets I'm going up to 863 fps but I'm still generating the 26 fpe at the moderator. However, since I've increased the velocity, the volume does increase a bit as well.

For the Brocock I'm shooting 25.4 gr diabolo pellets around 778 fps giving me just over 34 fpe at the moderator on high, 772 fps on medium (33.6 fpe) and 744 fps (31 fpe) on low from a fill pressure of 3200 psi. If I drop my fill pressure to 3000 psi, I get 763 fps (32.8 fpe) on high, 761 fps (32.6 fpe) on medium and 731 (30 fpe) on low. Personally, I hear no difference between any of these but I would expect someone that has better hearing (or if I had a decimeter) to notice the difference especially between high and low settings on each fill pressure.

In regard to the S510, I'm again shooting the 25.4 gr diabolo around 808 fps on high generating almost 37 fpe at the moderator from a 2900 psi fill. If I adjust the power value all the way down I get 460 fps and a power reduction to just under 12 fpe. I also get almost no sound when the trigger is pulled as the pellet is moving so slowly.

Everyone's results will vary but I just wanted to show that there is more to noise reduction than just the brand of moderator you get. For the Compatto, I plan on getting an NC so I can see how much of an affect it has. Unfortunately, the treads are different and I'm unable to move the one for the S510 over to test so until I can get Neil the information he needs for the build I keep using the Hugget as something is almost always better than nothing.

I've had both. Aesthetically, I like the looks of the Hugget better and if I had to pick one out of a case just based on looks it would be the Hugget. That being said, when I took the Hugget apart, I was less than impressed. The materials, craftsmanship, etc on the inside seemed a bit chintzy for lack of a better word. The Neil Clague, although I've never had it apart, feels much more robust and solid, even from the outside. It's heavier and I have a lot more confidence in it. The Hugget was on a .25 Wolverine and the Neil Clague is on a .22 BSA R-10 so apples and oranges as far a caliber. However, I was very surprised at how ineffective the Hugget was on the .25 but the larger caliber is naturally going to be harder to tame. The Clague on the R-10 makes shooting near silent. It is incredibly effective. I'd not hesitate to recommend the Clague over the Hugget based on my experience. 

I ran a quick objective sound test of my .22 FX Wildcat with the following LDC's:

(1) Baseline (stock shroud only)
(2) Neil Clague
(3) Huggett
(4) FX 6 piece stack

The measurement device is an Extech Instruments Sound Level Meter model number 407732. The sound meter was place 24" perpendicular to the muzzle at muzzle height with settings at fast data rate and high sound range. The results are an average of 8 shots. Results are as follows:

(1) Baseline (stock shroud only) - 87.1 dB
(2) Neil Clague - 69.0 dB
(3) Huggett - 67.1 dB
(4) FX 6 piece stack - 74.8 dB

The Huggett is most quiet followed by NC, and the FX 6 piece stack. I have purchased all three shrouds and don't have an affiliation with any shroud maker. The Huggett is on my Wildcat because it is objectively & to my subjective ears is quietest. Hope this helps anyone trying to make a decision.

Neil doesn't really advertise his prices, so I'm a bit uncomfortable quoting the exact price differential based on what I paid. I'll just say the differential is a little more than $100 less for the NC shroud in my experience, however market conditions may vary. I bought the Huggett first & it is best, so it stays on my Wildcat. I'm looking for a new gun for the NC:)

How's that for addicted to airguns logic?