• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Hugget Astille clipping

Few months back I've bought Hugget Astille extended version (.25 cal) in hope to use it on two .25 cal air rifles

Since it has a specific shape and I needed info on dimensions, prior to purchase, I've contacted Hugget via email and got quick response and answers on my emails

When I got the chance to try it, I've noticed that groups were terrible.
Changed to Wildcat MK3 with DFL FX series moderator which was shooting great and with Astille attached on it groups were also terrible 15+ cm (6"+) from 30 to 50m
Then I've put it on the .22 cal HW100 and also noticed that groups had opened up greatly

Tried it without the middle part, in short configuration, a bit better but still no good

Sent emails to Hugget, never got a response

Few day ago dug it up from accessories draw and finally took it appart
First sign of clipping is around the middle section:
1702017708148.png

Further down the baffles there are also signs of clipping but couldn't catch those with a phone camera
And then the last endcap is a mess:
1702017818447.png

Funny thing is that when I took it apart nothing seems to be out of order.
Build quality is great, everything seems to fit perfectly but obviously something is very much out of alignment.

For the price this things go for, manufacturer could at least reply to an email.
I'll try to fix it but I'm not holding my hopes up on it.

With dozens of moderators available for purchase, Hugget most definitely won't see my money again.

I also have an Astile and I agree with you on its build quality. Among all the moderators I own, it provides the most sound suppression. The only drawback with mine is that the removable mid-tube’s finish/paint is slighly off with the other two segments as it projects a brownish hue in certain angles in the light.

To your issue with clipping, sometimes the problem is not from the moderator but the flat surface of the receiving end—in most cases, the threaded adapter—so that when the moderator is screwed in snug against it both its and the moderator’s flat bases do not ideally line up, causing the moderator to be nonconcentric with the barrel. This was the case with my old DonnyFL moderator; there was also some slop between its threads and those on the UNF adapter. To remedy the issue, I used a shim (a cut aluminum piece from a soda can) between the two flat bases to bring both barrel and moderator to concentricity.

Last edited:
Few months back I've bought Hugget Astille extended version (.25 cal) in hope to use it on two .25 cal air rifles

Since it has a specific shape and I needed info on dimensions, prior to purchase, I've contacted Hugget via email and got quick response and answers on my emails

When I got the chance to try it, I've noticed that groups were terrible.
Changed to Wildcat MK3 with DFL FX series moderator which was shooting great and with Astille attached on it groups were also terrible 15+ cm (6"+) from 30 to 50m
Then I've put it on the .22 cal HW100 and also noticed that groups had opened up greatly

Tried it without the middle part, in short configuration, a bit better but still no good

Sent emails to Hugget, never got a response

Few day ago dug it up from accessories draw and finally took it appart
First sign of clipping is around the middle section:
View attachment 413428

Further down the baffles there are also signs of clipping but couldn't catch those with a phone camera
And then the last endcap is a mess:
View attachment 413429

Funny thing is that when I took it apart nothing seems to be out of order.
Build quality is great, everything seems to fit perfectly but obviously something is very much out of alignment.

For the price this things go for, manufacturer could at least reply to an email.
I'll try to fix it but I'm not holding my hopes up on it.

With dozens of moderators available for purchase, Hugget most definitely won't see my money again.
Hm, that endcap looks like resin printed (or injection molded) plastic.

If you make a washer out of an abrasive paper (wet/dry sand at about 400 grit) and place it between the moderator and the barrel when you tighten it. It will scratch the surface of the endcap on the moderator where it needs to be taken down first. This is the principle of articulating paper that dentists use to check occlusion. You remove material (with that 400 grit paper) until you get a perfect match.

Last edited:
The endcap is aluminium, only plastic parts in the moderator are machined delrin baffles.

Since clipping occurred on three different rifles I presume that something is out of alignment on the rear, threaded part of the moderator

I'll check how does the rear part alone threads on the barrel and does it snug up evenly before I do any sanding on 160€ worth of moderator (currently acting as a paper weight)

I always point my finger at shoddy workmanship on the gun when there is clipping. But in your case, you tried it on three guns. So I am also shocked that a Hugget would have this issue. Hugget probably hasn’t responded because they and other mod makers get tons of emails about clipping. They know their product is true and it’s the customers sad guns fault. I hope you get it figured out.