Huben Huben pistol ammo choice.

I was just about to post this in the main 'Huben Pistol' thread, but your new thread seems more appropriate.

I tested six different pellets with my Huben Pistol GK1 .22 and a Holosun HS507K Red Dot. I wanted to see which gave the best groups. I don't have the 'young eyes' many of you have, but I relaxed, and tried my best from a bench at 25-yards. Each pellet got a 4-shot group (with the FX 25.39 twice).

Background:
- Huben Pistol GK1 .22
- Power Adjust: 1.5 turns out (open). For reference, FX 25,39 shoot at about 33-35 FPE (ft/lbs) at this power.
- Holosun HS507K Red Dot
- 25-yard, 4-shots groups.
- Pistol initially zeroed at 25 yards with FX 25.39.
- Pellets: FX 25.39, JSB 25.39 Red; JSB 18.13, Spot On 18.13; GTO 11.75; JTS Semi-domed 21.53

My question to the experts, is "why do the lighter pellets seem to shoot lower, when they are actually moving faster'? The JSB 18's and GTO 11.75 hit lower?

The GTO and JTS's were the best based on this test. But, the FX/JSB 25's were not far behind.

Huben Pistol GK1 .22 - Pellets 4-Shot Group Test.jpg

Last edited:
Basically recoil but because your grip prevents backward motion, the recoil is expressed as the muzzle moving upwards (rotation around the center of mass, which is below the bore). Heavier projectiles cause more recoil force and take more time to leave the barrel, both of which enhance the upward POI shift.

I've been having really good luck with some Varmint Knockers .223 slugs. Had some 28.5gr leftovers, just received some new 22g and 24gr VK slugs to test out this weekend. Been seating them to 2mm with a little tool i made.
Good to hear , I got some Varmit Knockers in the ammo drawer on my gun cabinet, the .223's , I believe.

Hmmm...muzzle "flip" again...with 25gr, baby, projectiles ?
Go out, rent a firearm of some sort...anything but a .22, and shoot it for a couple of hundred rounds. THEN...talk about muzzle flip !
Start out with a lowly 9mm, then move up to a .45 or a 10mm. See how THOSE provide...muzzle flip.

Seems than some need some wrist strengthening exercises in their daily routine.

Mike

I'm partnering with Kelly doing a little side hustle selling swaged slugs I make. He sold out 2500 in one day. They were .2225 diameter, 39.66 grain, 10.9mm long, pure lead, hand swaged. I plan to make some more as well as some 25s but I've been working too much at my regular job to make much progress. Hopefully that will change soon
20230919_190718.jpg

I'm partnering with Kelly doing a little side hustle selling swaged slugs I make. He sold out 2500 in one day. They were .2225 diameter, 39.66 grain, 10.9mm long, pure lead, hand swaged. I plan to make some more as well as some 25s but I've been working too much at my regular job to make much progress. Hopefully that will change soonView attachment 394702
If they shoot as good as they look, they are going to be great. Lead beauties.

Reactions: Bandito
I was just about to post this in the main 'Huben Pistol' thread, but your new thread seems more appropriate.

I tested six different pellets with my Huben Pistol GK1 .22 and a Holosun HS507K Red Dot. I wanted to see which gave the best groups. I don't have the 'young eyes' many of you have, but I relaxed, and tried my best from a bench at 25-yards. Each pellet got a 4-shot group (with the FX 25.39 twice).

Background:
- Huben Pistol GK1 .22
- Power Adjust: 1.5 turns out (open). For reference, FX 25,39 shoot at about 33-35 FPE (ft/lbs) at this power.
- Holosun HS507K Red Dot
- 25-yard, 4-shots groups.
- Pistol initially zeroed at 25 yards with FX 25.39.
- Pellets: FX 25.39, JSB 25.39 Red; JSB 18.13, Spot On 18.13; GTO 11.75; JTS Semi-domed 21.53

My question to the experts, is "why do the lighter pellets seem to shoot lower, when they are actually moving faster'? The JSB 18's and GTO 11.75 hit lower?

The GTO and JTS's were the best based on this test. But, the FX/JSB 25's were not far behind.

View attachment 394515
I will second the JST 21.53, @ 850 fps in my GK1 are awesome. I quit trying anything else.

Hmmm...muzzle "flip" again...with 25gr, baby, projectiles ?
Go out, rent a firearm of some sort...anything but a .22, and shoot it for a couple of hundred rounds. THEN...talk about muzzle flip !
Start out with a lowly 9mm, then move up to a .45 or a 10mm. See how THOSE provide...muzzle flip.

Seems than some need some wrist strengthening exercises in their daily routine.

Mike

What was the purpose of this response.... ?

I am thinking of getting the .25 and thought I would share this post as it seems well documented from owners that you need ideally a .254 but have read .253 will work; if you use smaller and tip the gun down the ammo will slide out, etc. and cause possible jams?

"Rightly so. No need to repeat the failed experiments performed with the rifle and undersized slugs over many years. Even if they avoid snagging, they won’t leave the barrel on axis and fly well. The twist rate is marginal and can’t accommodate stabilizing a wobbling slug. It’s all well documented in the 80page K1 thread. The pistol has the same barrel ID and the size needed is .254. If you don’t want to pay the high price for AVS, NSA has a 38grain .254 at ~18 for 200. I shoot the Altaros in the 254 rifle but they are a pain to acquire and too heavy to make sense in the pistol."

NSA got back to me quick and confirmed where there .254 ammo is found on their site,

I checked the website and I do see it listed. If you go to our 25 Caliber selection on the website, Go to the 38.5 gr. In the drop down we have the option for 250 or 254.

We dont have straight 38.0 size however, it is 38.5gr

Hope this helps.

Lexie NSA

Reactions: Bandito
Good to hear , I got some Varmit Knockers in the ammo drawer on my gun cabinet, the .223's , I believe.
best luck with the VK slugs at 28.5gr and 24gr. Was getting sub 1" groups at 25 yards, and knocked the heck out of some 1.5, 2, and 3 inch spinners at 50 yards. my tune is hitting 803-842-796 across one whole mag on a 4500psi fill. about 43fpe.

Also tried some of the GTO pellets, same tune settings and i didn't chrony them, but 1 hole groups at 25 yards, and decent action on the 50 yard spinners, but not nearly as satisfying a whack. Looks like a great plinking pellet and squirrel/rabbit slug setting!