• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Huben Huben pistol ammo choice.

I'm wondering whether anyone has tried the JSB Match Diabolo Exact King MKII Heavy .25 Cal, 33.95 grain pellets? Seems like they would be a good fit and heavier alternative to sloppy fitting slugs.
Yep, these are currently my ammo of choice. They seat nice and snug and are heavy enough for my taste.

Reactions: Bandito
When I get mine the First I'm gonna test will be the H&N Baracuda 31gr,

I have a ton of the EunJin 43gr Nomad and know they work, I have a ton of JSB MK II and I know they work

If the Baracuda work I will be golden
Baracuda's didn't seem to wanna stay put in mine. Neither did H&N Hunters. They kinda shuffle around in the magazine a bit too much. I did have success with JSB King heavies

We

A fair point maybe. I make all my own and don't shoot anything else, largely to save money but also I prefer the power and BC of slugs. the .254s have been accurate for everyone that I've seen. I was hitting 2" targets at 40 yards with iron sights with them no problem. Everyone will have their own criteria for accuracy though
I've been having great luck with those .22 slugs too! I was hitting a 2" spinner at 70 yards, with my 4x scope on it!

I fully intend to try a thin coat of the thickest silicone grease I can find to try and make any/all slugs stay in place. Or maybe some suitable wax, we'll see how this goes.
I had the exact same thought.
Since the zan and jsb are similar price to the skinnier stuff, haven't attempted it yet. If I run out before I restock then I probably will try it.
Some guys lube pellets, so it may improve accuracy although the idea is opposite in the mag

The barrels require .222-.223 and .253-.254 slugs for optimal spin and accuracy.

What is interesting is that we’re all shooting pellets that are designed to be shot from barrels that favor .216-.218 or .249-.250 slugs. The K1 rifles are the same dimensions as the GK1 pistols and have been around for the better part of a decade. Why hasn’t one of the pellet manufacturers taken the opportunity to produce a line of .223 and .254 pellets? That would happen real fast if FX started shipping their guns with .223 and .254 barrels. Yet here we are, as Huben owners, happily debating which undersized pellets works best and even how to grease them up to stay put in the mag. Madness!

Last edited:
Esto es un slugs JSB MK2 disparado desde mi GK1 22, cal 217, como se puede observar, marca perfectamente la ranura. Son los más precisos en mi GK1 hasta el momento.
Saludos.

Screenshot_2023-11-17-07-53-34-09_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

@weevil Grease on pellets (as opposed to slugs) would be a bad idea- it might partially fill the gap between the head and skirt and be very inconsistent weight-wise. Or the back it the skirt. And it would sputter about in strange places through the cylinder gaps.
IMO applying anything more than a thin film of lubricant is futile. You would be better off powder coating the projectile until you get an ideal diameter.

Reactions: Bandito and JDGriz
@weevil Grease on pellets (as opposed to slugs) would be a bad idea- it might partially fill the gap between the head and skirt and be very inconsistent weight-wise. Or the back it the skirt. And it would sputter about in strange places through the cylinder gaps.
JD - point taken - I was exaggerating the crazy situation that were in. But let’s not get lost in the details. Another way to illustrate the craziness is to consider that many competitive shooters in the FT disciplines put in extensive effort, not only to find the best pellet, but to find the absolute best pellet head size.

Here is my set of 177 FTTs and Baracuda Match for such testing:
IMG_0633.jpeg

Note that they vary in head size by 1/100th of a millimeter increments. Now let’s consider the difference between a .218 and .223 bore: .005 inches is .127mm. Therefore, we are using pellets with heads and skirts that are undersized by more than 10 times the difference that field target shooters consider to be capable of affecting accuracy. Again, this is madness.

Perhaps it’s time that we (the K1 AND GK1 community) made an effort to address this problem. Perhaps the K1 community was never large enough to sway the pellet manufacturers, but the pistol is selling faster than Huben can make it (and everyone, from hacks to pros: like Derrick Wall) love it. I propose that we make a thread targeting various pellet manufacturers and make an appeal to get some properly sized pellets. Are you in, Huben community members?

JD - point taken - I was exaggerating the crazy situation that were in. But let’s not get lost in the details. Another way to illustrate the craziness is to consider that many competitive shooters in the FT disciplines put in extensive effort, not only to find the best pellet, but to find the absolute best pellet head size.

Here is my set of 177 FTTs and Baracuda Match for such testing:
View attachment 407103

Note that they vary in head size by 1/100th of a millimeter increments. Now let’s consider the difference between a .218 and .223 bore: .005 inches is .127mm. Therefore, we are using pellets with heads and skirts that are undersized by more than 10 times the difference that field target shooters consider to be capable of affecting accuracy. Again, this is madness.

Perhaps it’s time that we (the K1 AND GK1 community) made an effort to address this problem. Perhaps the K1 community was never large enough to sway the pellet manufacturers, but the pistol is selling faster than Huben can make it (and everyone, from hacks to pros: like Derrick Wall) love it. I propose that we make a thread targeting various pellet manufacturers and make an appeal to get some properly sized pellets. Are you in, Huben community members?
Alternatively, a barrel manufacturer could produce the best/ideal size diameter and twist rate for common slug diameter ammo for each model, rather than the consumer having to do endless testing and sizing to get a good fit and accuracy.

Reactions: Bandito and JDGriz
Alternatively, a barrel manufacturer could produce the best/ideal size diameter and twist rate for common slug diameter ammo for each model, rather than the consumer having to do endless testing and sizing to get a good fit and accuracy.
I have no problem with the available of correctly sized slugs. We just need a manufacturer to make some similarly correctly sized pellets.

To clarify the above statement of mine, my point was not necessarily with this particular manufacturer, but with the quality of barrels produced as a whole in this industry (of varying inside diameter or generic twists) that the consumer has to hunt for the best ammo. This is evidenced by the same model of gun with similar tune lot of times won't take the same ammo between the two, because of the barrel. Again, not necessarily with this particular manufacturer, because they do seem to be of a decent quality and standard which leads to a wide ammo choice and accuracy among users, albeit in a specific diameter. There are a hand full of manufacturers who do the barrels right and to tight tolerances where they are not "pellet (or slug) picky".

I believe the most practical option is to have huben come out with an optional slug barrel and slug mag. I don’t expect the industry to bend for us but to make the manufacturer bend is more realistic. Aftermarket mags made in small batches prove to be to expensive to produce. I own one of the custom .250 mags that Kelly sold and they were $200-$250 iirc. The mags are extremely difficult and expensive to make for a machine shop that has never made them. For huben it would be easy and more economical(for the consumer) to produce a .250 mag. If they could offer the mag for $100 they would sell like hotcakes.

That’s all good folks, but try convincing FX owners to find and make the best of a pellet selection that are .213. They would not be happy and nor should we. As for changing the barrel, yes that’s possible, if you think it makes more sense to have all owners buy new barrels rather than getting a manufacturer to produce a couple of new pellet dies. In fact, that experiment has already been run - Kelly has been selling TJs for some time. How many of you bought them?