Huben Huben pistol ammo choice.

While I'm thinking about it, are you all pumping the GK1 to 35Mpa/5076 PSI (as the manual says)? My 75 cu ft Omega tank is only rated to 4500 PSI. My compressor, a GX E-5K2 (off of Amazon, seems like the non-branded Omega Turbo?) is rated at 5800 psi, but I'm not sure how wise it is to go directly from the compressor to the gun port.

Reactions: Bandito
Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't do any power adjustments. I wanted to make sure it worked "as is" - and it barely did. I thought that you had to take the handgrip off and "Unlock the potential" of it (per a video from Wolfeik Group's YT channel, but looking again at the video from Ares Airgun Tactical (where I got it), I see that it's a simple adjustment with the hex key. It's been almost a month and a half since I ordered it... shipping drama - I forgot all about that. Anyway, I installed the Speed Loader from Ares, as well as the Impulse Air 1350 moderator - and was worried I was getting some clipping on the moderator. I haven't read about issues with the 1350 and the GK1.
Tomorrow I'll up the power and put a chronograph on it. I'll report back when I've sorted it out...
EDIT: DOES ONE IN FACT HAVE TO "UNLOCK" THE GUN, REMOVING THE PLUG UNDER THE HANDLE?

Any input on other ammo for the GK1 .25?
FYI, along with this thread, there are quite a few great videos on Youtube on the GK1 such as adjusting the power, adjusting the trigger, how to deal with jams, etc.

As far as ammo, I think it would be good to start off with just pellets. I have been reading the forums to research as I await my .25 and most people say that the 25 and the heavier 33 grain JSB pellets work great as do a few other brands; the GK1 seems to be fairly forgiving on pellet brands. Slugs are more picky and I am still contemplating which slugs but will likely shoot pellets 80% or more of the time. I do know that you do not want to shoot the GK1 with not much PSI as that can create a situation that it dumps a large volume of air out and it could damage a suppressor. I think what another poster said is that the GK1 may come delivered at low FPS setting assuming you will tune it with a chronograph. I know with other airguns it is fine to fill it up straight from your compressor. I will need to check my tank as you brought up a good point that some tanks are not rated for 5000 psi so new tanks might be in order as our hobby keep advancing the technology.

I cannot wait to get my GK1 and start shooting!

Because you’re in America you don’t need to “unlock” the gun. That’s for people who live in countries where there’s restrictions on the amount of energy that an airgun can produce (otherwise it is classified as a firearm).

While I'm thinking about it, are you all pumping the GK1 to 35Mpa/5076 PSI (as the manual says)? My 75 cu ft Omega tank is only rated to 4500 PSI. My compressor, a GX E-5K2 (off of Amazon, seems like the non-branded Omega Turbo?) is rated at 5800 psi, but I'm not sure how wise it is to go directly from the compressor to the gun port.
Regarding the fill pressure- you won’t hurt the gun going straight from the compressor. Personally I like to run things slightly under the stated design parameters. I was just at New England Airgun yesterday and was fortunate enough the be able to speak with John directly while shooting my GK1 (he’s one of the authorized Huben dealers in the US). He said if you run everything a little lower you’ll have it last longer before needing to perform maintenance.

Also as a personal thought, the GK1 has a pretty novel design where even though it doesn’t have a normal regulator & plenum design it can create an incredibly accurate shot string through moderating the amount of air released based on tank pressure. The longer I’m involved with this sport the more I’ve switched from seeking power to chasing accuracy. Lower power will also increase shot count so less time refilling and more time shooting. Although to be fair, I definitely still want to be able to crank a PCP if I’m in the mood to make a piece of fruit explode 😁

Last edited:
I'm running my Huben pistol at 280 BAR,...I feel no need to fill any higher.

Because you’re in America you don’t need to “unlock” the gun. That’s for people who live in countries where there’s restrictions on the amount of energy that an airgun can produce (otherwise it is classified as a firearm).

Regarding the fill pressure- you won’t hurt the gun going straight from the compressor. Personally I like to run things slightly under the stated design parameters. I was just at New England Airgun yesterday and was fortunate enough the be able to speak with John directly while shooting my GK1 (he’s one of the authorized Huben dealers in the US). He said if you run everything a little lower you’ll have it last longer before needing to perform maintenance.

Also as a personal thought, the GK1 has a pretty novel design where even though it doesn’t have a normal regulator & plenum design it can create an incredibly accurate shot string through moderating the amount of air released based on tank pressure. The longer I’m involved with this sport the more I’ve switched from seeking power to chasing accuracy. Lower power will also increase shot count so less time refilling and more time shooting. Although to be fair, I definitely still want to be able to crank a PCP if I’m in the mood to make a piece of fruit explode 😁
That's what I initially assumed, but this is the first I've read about being in the US means that you don't have to unlock it. Makes sense, but I'd not seen that.

I'm running my Huben pistol at 280 BAR,...I feel no need to fill any higher.
Makes sense - I thought I'd read that it would give significantly more shots per fill. My tank can easily go to 280 BAR/4061 PSI , at least for a while. My pump can as well, and has filters and an auto moisture bleed-off feature at the end of the fill - so should be ok?

Ok - I can confirm that the power was all the way down. I opened it up about 1.5 turns and was getting 745 out of the FX Hybrid slugs (26 grains, .25 cal). Now we're talking! With the power down the slugs wouldn't even penetrate the putty (duct seal compound) layers on my home-made target - just bounced back. Now they do penetrate nicely.
Another question - I have the newer model FX radar chrolograph v2 (up to 1250 fps). Anyone else use these? How do you mount them to the GK1? I ended up just having it directly below the midpoint on the air tank and it worked ok. Rubber bands didn't seem to register, though I can play with it a bit more.

Ok - I can confirm that the power was all the way down. I opened it up about 1.5 turns and was getting 745 out of the FX Hybrid slugs (26 grains, .25 cal). Now we're talking! With the power down the slugs wouldn't even penetrate the putty (duct seal compound) layers on my home-made target - just bounced back. Now they do penetrate nicely.
Another question - I have the newer model FX radar chrolograph v2 (up to 1250 fps). Anyone else use these? How do you mount them to the GK1? I ended up just having it directly below the midpoint on the air tank and it worked ok. Rubber bands didn't seem to register, though I can play with it a bit more.

You can just have them sitting on a table where you’re shooting and they should probably be able to pick it up. Might need to move things and shift around a bit but I can generally get my v1 to work without having it tied right to the barrel but maybe the results are more accurate doing so. I definitely recommend YouTube as a resource for ‘how to’ vids.

What is this "Youtube" thing of which you speak? Haha... I actually have a premium YT account, and I have posted hundreds of videos myself over the past decade. I also shoot and edit interview videos for non-profits.
Of course I checked videos on it. That's how I figured out that some don't actually attach it to their GK1s. Ares' YT channel sort of showed it being used unattached, but I couldn't quite see what he was doing. I bought the FX chronograph a month ago in anticipation of using it on the GK1 - but the GK1 only showed up this week. Today was my first use of the chronograph. My Daystate Alpha Wolf has a chronograph built in - not really a need for it there.
I really do appreciate this group already - lots of great information, and assistance for new users. Much appreciated!

Sooo, I've had two jams so far. One time with Zan .253 slugs and again just yesterday with JSB King Heavies. I checked the barrel/magazine alignment just to make sure mine didn't come from the factory misaligned or something like that, but it seems to be fine. Im gonna shoot without seating the pellets from now on, just to see if it makes a difference.

Any other tips to avoid this from happening again? Lubing up the projectiles or barrel with silicon oil or balistol perhaps? The JSB did not really deform when it jammed. It just got stuck halfway out of the bag and into the barrel for some reason. Could temperature difference have anything to do with it? My GK1 is always stored inside the house where it's warm, and then I take it outside, where it's currently a little above freezing.

Sooo, I've had two jams so far. One time with Zan .253 slugs and again just yesterday with JSB King Heavies. I checked the barrel/magazine alignment just to make sure mine didn't come from the factory misaligned or something like that, but it seems to be fine. Im gonna shoot without seating the pellets from now on, just to see if it makes a difference.

Any other tips to avoid this from happening again? Lubing up the projectiles or barrel with silicon oil or balistol perhaps? The JSB did not really deform when it jammed. It just got stuck halfway out of the bag and into the barrel for some reason. Could temperature difference have anything to do with it? My GK1 is always stored inside the house where it's warm, and then I take it outside, where it's currently a little above freezing.
Don, please read my reply on seating. It is the chamfer that retains the pellet. Do not push beyond that point.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire shipment to Spain had the power limiter. I looked up their laws, anything over 24j requires licensing.

@LDBecker - where did you purchase your GK1?
Hi - I got mine from Ares Airguns Tactical. It's a V2 model. It doesn't have a limiter. I feel silly about how little I know about PCP airguns - getting there, and I appreciate all the shared wisdom here. It's a whole new world since my original foray into the airgun world with my old springer Beeman R1. Going from that to a .30 cal Alpha Wolf and this GK1 - it's amazing...

FYI about two different .25 caliber pellet ammo effecting cycling of the GK1 magazine...

The H&N Barracuda 30.86 grain Long Range Hunting Pellet is a little long with it's pounted tip and narrow in the skirt, so it will slide forward in the magazine causing a tip jam. It has been alright as a bench ammo where the gun isn't being jostled around with the barrel being nose first. It usually does it while loading. The jam is easily cleared by bumping the back of the gun against your palm, sometimes while putting a little back pressure on the magazine.

The Seneca 43.2 grain Pointed Hunting Pellet is way too long for the magazine. These are made by EunJin Pointed. With an appropriate small diameter sized punch placed in the skirt and tapped on a piece of steel, the nose is easily smashed and length becomes acceptable to stay in the magazine. Note that too big of a punch will make the pellet diameter oversized. I have not tested long range hunting accuracy after being resized, but it works for closer range target shooting.

Screenshot_20240118-154124.png

Last edited:
I chop the tip of my EunJin 43gr and they fit perfectly, I will do a formal accuracy test by mounting a scope one of these day,...never had a jam.

the other pellet I use is JSB 34gr MKII, I seat them pellets and never had a jam either

I will do the formal accuracy test with the scope on and decide what pellet I will shoot going forward

I chop the tip of my EunJin 43gr and they fit perfectly, I will do a formal accuracy test by mounting a scope one of these day,...never had a jam.

the other pellet I use is JSB 34gr MKII, I seat them pellets and never had a jam either

I will do the formal accuracy test with the scope on and decide what pellet I will shoot going forward
That method works much faster than trying to retain the weight by smashing the tip. It took about half the time with a razor knife to cut the tips of a tin of pellets versus smashing them tonight. Once these tins are gone I'll be sticking to the JSB MKII's or ZAN slugs.

That method works much faster than trying to retain the weight by smashing the tip. It took about half the time with a razor knife to cut the tips of a tin of pellets versus smashing them tonight. Once these tins are gone I'll be sticking to the JSB MKII's or ZAN slugs.
Do you notice a substantial impact to accuracy? The reason I ask is I’d assume the slicing with a knife would deform the pellet in an uneven manner, but maybe not?

Do you notice a substantial impact to accuracy? The reason I ask is I’d assume the slicing with a knife would deform the pellet in an uneven manner, but maybe not?
I'm not using them at extended ranges to know what they are doing. It probably doesn't effect them much below 25 yards.