• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Huben Huben K1 stock refinish.

Well, I'm pretty much a walnut stock snob, kinda guy. I love them, but I'm always disappointed when the factory applies dark stain over walnut, seemingly to make the color more uniform. Maybe it's done so that no one complains about "their stock" looking different from the pics on the website.
Natural walnut does have wide variations of color and grain, (just look at both sides of my stock). Idk, but it often covers up some nice multi-shade mineral lines underneath.
So, when I received my new K1 a few weeks ago, I new right away that I would once again have to refinish, in order for ME, (snob part), to appreciate the natural wood.
So, I sanded off all the stain & pressed checkering, added some decorative caps to the grip and forearm, made from Gaboon Ebony wood, and Basswood spacer, and then applied several coats of Maccari Royal London Oil.
His oil leaves a very light honey color, seals a bit and protects the wood, and gives a nice satin rich look to MY eye, similar to many European gun stocks.
Then I had my checkering friend add some nice hand cut checkering.
The Huben comes with a combo of some pressed checkering and stippling that looks pretty nice, but it's quite smooth and not very functional imo.
Oh, and I added a rear sling QD stud, and a forearm recessed QD cup, for sling carry on my plinking woods walks.

Anyway, I'm much happier with the look, and feel, and wanted to share it with the Huben lovers on AGN.
But, I understand this is just my personal preference, and many like the darker look too.
These K1's & GK1's, are such amazing shooting machines!

Have fun!

IMG_20240219_142920471.jpg
IMG_20240219_143540919.jpg

Fine job @scottblair! It looks really good "denuded" of the factory spray-tan finish and oiled up. I did similarly with a GK1 last month with an oil and beeswax impregnated finish, using Howard Feed-n-Wax wood polish and conditioner. After a filing, stripping, sanding, I stained the Huben's walnut grip with a walnut oil based stain to darken it some and only apply the Feed-n-Wax. It looks and feels so much better, and the walnut is two-toned like your stock.
Screenshot_20240124-192454~2.png

Well, I'm pretty much a walnut stock snob, kinda guy. I love them, but I'm always disappointed when the factory applies dark stain over walnut, seemingly to make the color more uniform. Maybe it's done so that no one complains about "their stock" looking different from the pics on the website.
Natural walnut does have wide variations of color and grain, (just look at both sides of my stock). Idk, but it often covers up some nice multi-shade mineral lines underneath.
So, when I received my new K1 a few weeks ago, I new right away that I would once again have to refinish, in order for ME, (snob part), to appreciate the natural wood.
So, I sanded off all the stain & pressed checkering, added some decorative caps to the grip and forearm, made from Gaboon Ebony wood, and Basswood spacer, and then applied several coats of Maccari Royal London Oil.
His oil leaves a very light honey color, seals a bit and protects the wood, and gives a nice satin rich look to MY eye, similar to many European gun stocks.
Then I had my checkering friend add some nice hand cut checkering.
The Huben comes with a combo of some pressed checkering and stippling that looks pretty nice, but it's quite smooth and not very functional imo.
Oh, and I added a rear sling QD stud, and a forearm recessed QD cup, for sling carry on my plinking woods walks.

Anyway, I'm much happier with the look, and feel, and wanted to share it with the Huben lovers on AGN.
But, I understand this is just my personal preference, and many like the darker look too.
These K1's & GK1's, are such amazing shooting machines!

Have fun!

View attachment 437182View attachment 437185
Great work! Nice to see you didn't screw up the checkering, which is easy to do.

Great work! Nice to see you didn't screw up the checkering, which is easy to do.
Thank you for the kind words MACTEN.
As I stated in my op, I sanded off the factory pressed checkering/stippling combo also. It looked pretty nice, but was smooth and not very effective.
What you see there is new hand cut checkering. The real deal. Very good grip now.

Have fun

Last edited: