• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Huben k1 before and after barrel polish

The TJ barrel is .250, were you still using .254 slugs? Or did you get the custom mag for .250 slugs?

*if you were using the correct .250-.251 slugs in the TJ barrel with the stock mag that would explain the terrible accuracy as you know the .250 slugs would be loose in the stock mag and negatively affect accuracy
I honestly did not consider the magazine and Kelly didn't mention anything about it. However the accuracy was so bad I find it hard to believe that a slight mismatch between magazine and barrel would account for the accuracy I saw. I'm talking like 6 inch scattershot groups at only 25 yards from a rest. Of course I could be wrong. Like the stock barrel, I tried .250 NSA slugs, and .2513s from AVS, .253s, and .254s with the tj barrel. I still have the tj barrel. Does Kelly sell the modded magazines and if not, where? If he does I find it strange he wouldn't mention them or put one on when i first got it with the tj barrel. Or when he sent me the stock barrel afterwards he made no mention of having to change the mag due to putting a different one on first

Last edited:
I honestly did not consider the magazine and Kelly didn't mention anything about it. However the accuracy was so bad I find it hard to believe that a slight mismatch between magazine and barrel would account for the accuracy I saw. I'm talking like 6 inch scattershot groups at only 25 yards from a rest. Of coarse I could be wrong. Like the stock barrel, I tried .250 NSA slugs, and .2513s from AVS, .253s, and .254s with the tj barrel. I still have the tj barrel. Does Kelly sell the modded magazines and if not, where? If he does I find it strange he wouldn't mention them or put one on when i first got it with the tj barrel. Or when he sent me the stock barrel afterwards he made no mention of having to change the mag due to putting a different one on first
That is odd that he didn’t mention because that’s who I bought mine from. Perhaps he didn’t mention it because the *custom .25 mags were made slightly oversized (.2515) and he didn’t figure out a solution until recently. Loose fitting slugs in a gun that shoots from the mag will affect the accuracy horribly. That slug needs to fit tightly in the mag to consistently enter the barrel. That issue is magnified because of how soft the pure lead slugs are

Last edited:
That is odd that he didn’t mention because that’s who I bought mine from. Perhaps he didn’t mention it because the .25 mags were made slightly oversized and he didn’t figure out a solution until recently. Loose fitting slugs in a gun that shoots from the mag will affect the accuracy horribly. That slug needs to fit tightly in the mag to consistently enter the barrel. That issue is magnified because of how soft the pure lead slugs are
I see. Well perhaps an email to Kelly is in order. Problem is I already have the .254 die on the way and I am pretty satisfied with its accuracy and performance.
I got my .25 from him summer before last so roughly a year and a half ago

I see. Well perhaps an email to Kelly is in order. Problem is I already have the .254 die on the way and I am pretty satisfied with its accuracy and performance.
I got my .25 from him summer before last so roughly a year and a half ago
I would just stick with the barrel you have now because you can still shoot pellets if the new slugs don’t do well. Kelly mentioned the new K1 has a LW polygonal barrel that is ,supposedly, the most accurate barrel yet. It was either the new K1s have them or he’s selling custom polygonal barrels.. can’t remember which one it is.

Reactions: Asher
I would just stick with the barrel you have now because you can still shoot pellets if the new slugs don’t do well. Kelly mentioned the new K1 has a LW polygonal barrel that is ,supposedly, the most accurate barrel yet. It was either the new K1s have them or he’s selling custom polygonal barrels.. can’t remember which one it is.
I have little to no interest in shooting pellets, I like slugs and once I can make my own, its much cheaper than buying pellets. I'll be pretty ticked if the ones I make end up being worse than the AVS ones. I doubt they will be though as the ogive is the same, as is the diameter and base type. By adjusting the punch depth I can adjust the weight, length and bearing surface to a fairly large degree

Reactions: Pale_Rider
I have little to no interest in shooting pellets, I like slugs and once I can make my own, its much cheaper than buying pellets. I'll be pretty ticked if the ones I make end up being worse than the AVS ones. I doubt they will be though as the ogive is the same, as is the diameter and base type. By adjusting the punch depth I can adjust the weight, length and bearing surface to a fairly large degree
With that kind of adjustability in the slug making you have good chance of finding a slug better suited to the barrel.

I was blessed with a very accurate Huben from from the start but, I was also able to take it from good accuracy to incredible accuracy by taking the time to align and stabilize the baffles in the tube.

Baffles appear to be machine pressed and shaped and while the reasonably well fitted to the tube there is some play in the tolerance so I suspected some clipping.

To remedy this I removed any burs from the inside the baffle holes and added a thin washer at the top to ensure everything was compacted tight while simultaneously running a carbon Arrow through all the baffling to the barrel to keep everything aligned all the way down to the barrel.

The arrows I currently shoot just happened to be the perfect size. I also replace the end cap with a Donny FL adapter and an air stripper.

All this really took my accuracy to the next level with the Huben. It's lights out all the way to 100 yards.
I believe it would be worth your time to make sure your baffles are aligned and compacted in a similar method as I described, before declaring the barrel or the crown as the problem.

I was blessed with a very accurate Huben from from the start but, I was also able to take it from good accuracy to incredible accuracy by taking the time to align and stabilize the baffles in the tube.

Baffles appear to be machine pressed and shaped and while the reasonably well fitted to the tube there is some play in the tolerance so I suspected some clipping.

To remedy this I removed any burs from the inside the baffle holes and added a thin washer at the top to ensure everything was compacted tight while simultaneously running a carbon Arrow through all the baffling to the barrel to keep everything aligned all the way down to the barrel.

The arrows I currently shoot just happened to be the perfect size. I also replace the end cap with a Donny FL adapter and an air stripper.

All this really took my accuracy to the next level with the Huben. It's lights out all the way to 100 yards.
I believe it would be worth your time to make sure your baffles are aligned and compacted in a similar method as I described, before declaring the barrel or the crown as the problem.
Ill try this. With any luck one of my compound bow arrows or airbow arrows will work perfectly. Does donny fl sell also sell the air stripper?

Last edited:
Ill try this. Does donny fl sell also sell the air stripper?
Whatever you run through the baffling to align it make sure it's very straight and soft where it touches the barrel so it's not too damage your crown. The air stripper I use is a Hatsan. I removed the brass Center piece to lessen the possibility of clipping there also and still benefited from the air stripper housing.
Even without the air stripper , Just the aligning and compressing the baffling by itself should show drastic improvement if clipping is the problem.

With my experience with Hubens the 2018 Hubens have a LW choked barrel which they do not like slugs. I shoot slugs out of one of my Hubens but it's a 2018 with a TJ barrel. Now, I know many 2021 versions are shooting slugs as well with very good accuracy. But they have Huben's factory barrel which is non choked.
Also, several factors come into place. Is your magazine to barrel align. correct? Is reg. pressure to power wheel set correctly? Have you shot it through a chrony and see the difference in fps? Have you tried an LDC, Sumo or Tatsu? I have seen that installing a LDC can help or hurt accuracy. Have you tired different slugs? I shoot .218 Nelson 27.5gr dished slugs out of my TJ barrel Huben. My Dad shoots the AVS .2193 34gr. dish from his 2021 Huben. Have you checked your magazine? We polish the magazines. I have installed one of Kelly's custom mags in a friends Huben with great results. I would push a pellet or slug through barrel and check rifling. How does it shoot pellets? There is a lot of variables but that is what is fun about air rifles.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
With my experience with Hubens the 2018 Hubens have a LW choked barrel which they do not like slugs. I shoot slugs out of one of my Hubens but it's a 2018 with a TJ barrel. Now, I know many 2021 versions are shooting slugs as well with very good accuracy. But they have Huben's factory barrel which is non choked.
Also, several factors come into place. Is your magazine to barrel align. correct? Is reg. pressure to power wheel set correctly? Have you shot it through a chrony and see the difference in fps? Have you tried an LDC, Sumo or Tatsu? I have seen that installing a LDC can help or hurt accuracy. Have you tired different slugs? I shoot .218 Nelson 27.5gr dished slugs out of my TJ barrel Huben. My Dad shoots the AVS .2193 34gr. dish from his 2021 Huben. Have you checked your magazine? We polish the magazines. I have installed one of Kelly's custom mags in a friends Huben with great results. I would push a pellet or slug through barrel and check rifling. How does it shoot pellets? There is a lot of variables but that is what is fun about air rifles.
I've addressed many of these in the thread and post. Depends on what you mean by " doesn't like slugs" it's capable of .5 inch groups at 50 yards but I'm trying to dial in its 100 yard accuracy. Even back then people were referring to it as a slug gun. Even with the choked barrel although I do understand the distinction

I've addressed many of these in the thread and post. Depends on what you mean by " doesn't like slugs" it's capable of .5 inch groups at 50 yards but I'm trying to dial in its 100 yard accuracy. Even back then people were referring to it as a slug gun. Even with the choked barrel although I do understand the distinction
I do remember the K1 being touted as a slug gun in the early days. But people quickly found out that wasn’t the case with the choked barrels. Of course the power was there to sling them but the choked barrel showed it’s inferiority when shooting long range. If you follow Gregor Kamensek on YT you will see even he made a custom barrel for the huben to shoot slugs more precisely. With these new hubens apparently they figured out the barrel issue.

We really struggled with the 2018 LW barrels to shoot slugs accurately. How accurate is accurate? If you want it to shoot 1" groups at 100yds consecutively I think you may want to consider a different air rifle. It's a hunting rifle not a bench rifle. Yes they were considered a slug gun, but in reality, they were not. Now, if you install a TJ barrel on it you may obtain average 2" groups at 100yds or better but not much better. The 2020 and newer non choke barrels do very well with slugs. Have you tried the Huben slugs? We did have good luck with those slugs in the 2018's but expansion wasn't there for hunting purposes.

We really struggled with the 2018 LW barrels to shoot slugs accurately. How accurate is accurate? If you want it to shoot 1" groups at 100yds consecutively I think you may want to consider a different air rifle. It's a hunting rifle not a bench rifle. Yes they were considered a slug gun, but in reality, they were not. Now, if you install a TJ barrel on it you may obtain average 2" groups at 100yds or better but not much better. The 2020 and newer non choke barrels do very well with slugs. Have you tried the Huben slugs? We did have good luck with those slugs in the 2018's but expansion wasn't there for hunting purposes.
Yes originally I had a swage die from huben but they were poor quality in terms of longevity of design, and I was very careful with it. It's slow use and unreliability is what made me get the Corbin. These are the slugs it made, roughly 36.6 grains. I still have 450 of them
20200602_172958.jpg

20200115_190358.jpg