Huben k1 before and after barrel polish

I tried all sorts of slugs in my 2021 k1, and even had kelly install one of the custom slug magazines. it was terrible. 3-4 inch groups at 50 yards with any nda/vk/avs/huben slugs in a variety of sizes and weights...i just shoot mrds in it now.
I'm sorry to hear that. Mine both do well at 50 yards with slugs at least. Major bummer

I,m not in the same league as you guys with your knowledge of the K1 or Pcp,s but i have had my k1 for around 6 weeks and it seems to shoot well, Lots of power and had some good kills with it as its only a hunting gun for me i have just constructed a range at my place and will have to shoot some groups and compare it to my other rifles, one thing i have noticed as i have been keeping the K1 on a spare bed is that when loading it shaves the slugs as you push them past the plastic part into the mag, normally don’t think you would notice but on a white sheet its pretty dramatic how much shaved lead that builds up, So if you guys are spending lots of time and effort making the perfect K1 slug would this have a effect when loading ?, Also what or how is polishing the mag done and how does this help ?, my Zan 253 slugs are a tight fit and i lube my slugs also, From recent shooting i would lean towards my fx m3 to be more accurate at 100yds ish but will do some testing and find out,,

When I load it I push in on the tab so that I can push them in from a straighter angle and avoid shaving them off on the magazine for the most part. That loading gate would be cool to have too. I don't know about polishing the magazine, I just polished the barrel of my .22 huben. Haven't done the .25 yet. If you haven't tried the AVS .254 slugs I recommend giving them a try. I'm not the only one who has found them to work well. For me they did better than the .253 ZANs. They are an even tighter fit in the magazine though

I have polished many barrels, never really to improve accuracy, it was to make it easier to clean as I am a slug shooter.

Accuracy with slugs can only come from a .001 over groove diameter fit between slug and groove diameter. I have preached this for years to mostly deaf ears, but still wouldbe slug shooters want to just throw money at a fix that will only work by accidentally stumbling on the correct diameter.

I used Corbin staging die’s for over 25 years, to buy a Corbin setup without knowing your groove diameter for Dave Corbin to set it up is a horrible waste of money.

Regards,

Roachcreek
I decided to pull the barrel on my Prophet 2 after reading this. I had some .218 21gr H&N slugs, so I used a couple of them. Measured both with my Starrett and Brown & Sharpe micrometers. They both measured .218 with both micrometers. I pushed both through the bore, lubed with Balistol, and slight resistance, with slightly more the last half inch to inch. I remeasured both slugs in 8-10 locations around the circumference and they both measured from .2155-.216. I ordered 4 different weights of NSA's from 20gr-28gr in .217. Hope they shoot as good or better than the H&N 21gr .218's.

I decided to pull the barrel on my Prophet 2 after reading this. I had some .218 21gr H&N slugs, so I used a couple of them. Measured both with my Starrett and Brown & Sharpe micrometers. They both measured .218 with both micrometers. I pushed both through the bore, lubed with Balistol, and slight resistance, with slightly more the last half inch to inch. I remeasured both slugs in 8-10 locations around the circumference and they both measured from .2155-.216. I ordered 4 different weights of NSA's from 20gr-28gr in .217. Hope they shoot as good or better than the H&N 21gr .218's.
@customcutter What were your findings with the NSA slugs? Which size, weight, and style worked best for you?

I am new to the Hubens, I will have a 22 Huben in a month or so from Kelly,
Mine will have the new gate, I am also a pellet shooter and will start out with the 18gr JSBs and keep my finger crossed it likes them, I have a few tins of the JSB heavy 22 pellets but just hope I can tune around the 18 gr ones for now. My range is limited to 48 yards so no really need for slugs,
Mike

I was blessed with a very accurate Huben from from the start but, I was also able to take it from good accuracy to incredible accuracy by taking the time to align and stabilize the baffles in the tube.

Baffles appear to be machine pressed and shaped and while the reasonably well fitted to the tube there is some play in the tolerance so I suspected some clipping.

To remedy this I removed any burs from the inside the baffle holes and added a thin washer at the top to ensure everything was compacted tight while simultaneously running a carbon Arrow through all the baffling to the barrel to keep everything aligned all the way down to the barrel.

The arrows I currently shoot just happened to be the perfect size. I also replace the end cap with a Donny FL adapter and an air stripper.

All this really took my accuracy to the next level with the Huben. It's lights out all the way to 100 yards.
I believe it would be worth your time to make sure your baffles are aligned and compacted in a similar method as I described, before declaring the barrel or the crown as the problem.
@DavyBoone Can you post some photos so that I can have a better idea of how this looks with a Donny FL adapter and air stripper? If you have photos taken during the alignment process that’d be helpful as well.

Reactions: airgunmike56