Huben k1 before and after barrel polish

Ok I went out today and shot 4 groups (full mag 19 shots) at 100 yards from a rest with my 2018 huben k1 in .22 caliber using the .2225 diameter, ~40.8 grain slugs that I swage myself using my Corbin s press. After I got home I disassembled my k1 and polished my barrel using JB non embedding compound then followed up with the JB bore bright. 90 strokes of each type in the 1st 3rd of the barrel starting at the breach, 60 strokes to 2nd 3rd of barrel and 30 for last 3rd. Here are pics of the groups before polishing.

20221015_132131.jpg
20221015_132138.jpg
20221015_132145.jpg

20221015_132151.jpg

Not particularly great right? Thats why im trying the polish. Tomorrow I will go out and shoot 4 more groups in the same fashion and hope for good results. If I don't get better groups at first, I will probably just shoot a bunch of rounds to lead the barrel and then compare again. I'll report the better groups of the two and also mention if I had to lead the barrel first or not to get them. sorry to keep you in suspense if you're reading this between now and then. If my groups improve i will also polish my .25 huben barrel. Fingers crossed...

Well, my results are disappointing. I am leaning toward saying it made no difference. It was significantly more windy today though, and it was gusting randomly. Here are some groups shot after firing just one mag to check for scope adjustment and velocity.
20221016_161627.jpg
20221016_161633.jpg
20221016_161640.jpg
20221016_161645.jpg
20221016_161651.jpg

Very disappointing. Some are so bad it's hard to tell which shots are part of which group attempt. So I fired about 200 shots at other stuff to lead the barrel some. The 50 yard accuracy is still pretty good. After leading the barrel I shot these. This first one was with some of my old huben slugs which are 36.6 grains:
20221016_161713.jpg
20221016_161707.jpg
20221016_161719.jpg
20221016_161700.jpg

So I'm not too happy. Hopefully it just needs more leading of the barrel to see a difference but I fired over 300 shots today. I'd think if the wind was to blame but it was improved overall then what I'd see is more consistent elevation but some variance on the windage part, but they seem as random as before. It does seem like my velocities are more consistent and I think I needed slightly less reg pressure to achieve 925 fps so maybe there is some benefit, idk.

Well I wish I had better findings to report, I'll update this post if the groups get better next time.

Hey a late edit, I posted in a reply below but thought I should add it here too. Here is a group I shot using .2213 flat base AVS slugs at about 880 FPS @ 100 yards. Approaching what I consider acceptable although this was only an 10 shot group not a 19. I also forgot my rest that day and it was freezing cold. I rested the rifle on my arm at the table and tried to hold still as i could, so not bad considering that and how the groups were before. I've ordered a new flat base punch and sizer to modify mine to be similar. I may have to slow them down from 925 to 880ish as well, at least when I'm shooting at 100 yards
20221104_083639.jpg

Last edited:
@ cavedweller. Speed is about 925 fps. Wind was very light or nonexistant

@ Scotay42 the short answer to your question is yes I have tried other slugs. As Davyboone noted, hubens like wider diameters than other air rifles. I have tried varmint knockers which if memory serves were .223. I used to swage huben slugs which were also close to .223. Those shot pretty well and made great energy. Here's the thing. I never really shot at 100 yards much and was going off of the 50 yard results for the most part. The huben slugs were my favorite and I sent some to Dave Corbin to see if his swage press setup could replicate them, as I wanted a reliable swage press, the huben one was unreliable and slow to use. He was unable to exactly replicate the slugs but got as close as he could. The slugs are still very different though. Now I'm kinda stuck with the die I have unless I want to pay and wait for a new one. It could be that further testing would reveal a diameter it prefers more, like .223 or .2235 ect. Maybe at some point I'll order some AVS slugs wider than the ones I make and see if they do better, and maybe buy a new die. They're expensive though, and the wait is long. If it is the case that it would do best with a diameter wider than .223, im not sure where I could get such slugs to test first without just blindly having a custom swage die made. They're expensive so I don't want to do that with a diameter I haven't tested first.

Thankfully my experience with the .22 taught me what pitfalls to avoid when I bought my .25. I tried a wider variety of slugs with it and found it to be even more fussy than the .22. The .22 shot ok groups at 25 yards with any slug I tried, but the .25 shot groups at that range that resembled shotgun pellet spread when I tried .250 diameter slugs from NSA. Then I tried .2513, .253, and .254s all from AVS and they did progressively better. I've found what Davyboone said to be true in my .25, the .254s offer some resistance going into the mag but they shoot the best groups by far. Waiting on a .254 diameter swage die to make my own. My .25 is often a bit more accurate than my .22 now.

Regardless if I'm using optimal slugs or not, I'm hoping that the barrel polish will improve the accuracy, as I've heard that that's what it does. Makes air rifles less fussy with pellets that they didn't like so much. Hoping the same is true for slugs. Even though I no longer make the huben slugs I still have 450 of them. I'll shoot a group with those as well and see how they do at 100 yards now. Will be going out here soon...

Last edited:
I polished the bore of my P35-25 and did not see any change in accuracy. I only normally test to 33 yards because that is the limit in my yard. I polished the crown of my P35-22 and P35-177 and I think it helped accuracy a little. I used JBs on a brass round head screw in a cordless drill. If your crown looks good you may not want to mess with it but mine were rough with obvious chatter marks. I think polishing the barrel did help to minimize the need for cleaning. I used JBs and Flitz to polish the barrel.

At 100 yards the wind will make a lot of difference in where your rounds impact. Less with slugs but they will still move in the wind. If you are not using multiple wind flags and being careful to shoot in as similar wind conditions as possible each shot I don't think you will see small groups. Unless it is very, very, calm. I was surprised when I messed around with Chairgun to see the impact of a 5 mph wind at right angles to the direction I'm shooting.

When you slug the barrel, do you see evidence that the slug is touching the groove diameter (major diameter)?

Maybe slug the barrel and post a pic of the slug.

Obviously the huben barrel must be built closer to rimfire dimensions than to air dimensions. For some reason I thought they got away from that. I don’t own one so I’m not sure, seems like I read it somewhere when searching for slugs for my home builds based on rimfire barrel.
(Reread I see yours is 2018).

Dave

When you slug the barrel, do you see evidence that the slug is touching the groove diameter (major diameter)?

Maybe slug the barrel and post a pic of the slug.

Obviously the huben barrel must be built closer to rimfire dimensions than to air dimensions. For some reason I thought they got away from that. I don’t own one so I’m not sure, seems like I read it somewhere when searching for slugs for my home builds based on rimfire barrel.
(Reread I see yours is 2018).

Dave
I haven't actually ever slugged the barrel. Id have to take it apart again to do that. Are results from that valid if the barrel is also choked, which I'm pretty sure it is?

Quick update with good news. I tried some more AVS slugs in my 2018 huben .22. I tried some .223s in each base type, and some .2213s in each base type. I also slowed them down. First day I tried about 900 fps and the groups were better than before but still bad. The .2213s did better than the .223s which was fine with me because those .223s are a PITA to insert into the mag. Then today I slowed them down to about 880 fps and shot this group with the flat base .2213s, finally something I'd consider acceptable, especially compared to the others wouldnt you agree?Long story short, im getting a sizing die and flat base punch for my swage die. They also make the same velocity with less pressure so win win. Persistence and patience. Keep trying things, don't give up. Also, this was shot using my arm as a rest and in the freezing cold while the other bad ones were shot in warmth from a rest so you do the math
20221104_083639.jpg

I would do the following if the rifle would be mine:

1.- a) Make with a drill the entrance of the pellet to the barrel a little wider and

b) Recrown the barrel.

Those two very easy changes should help a lot.

If it would not made the rifle to shoot perfectly, then:

2.- I would buy a CZ barrel and change it for the original one making the entrance wider enough in order that the travel from the magazine to the barrel do not cut the pellet/ slug and then to make it fly erroneously.

Do your slugs have any lube on them? If not try that as well.
I would do the following if the rifle would be mine:

1.- a) Make with a drill the entrance of the pellet to the barrel a little wider and

b) Recrown the barrel.

Those two very easy changes should help a lot.

If it would not made the rifle to shoot perfectly, then:

2.- I would buy a CZ barrel and change it for the original one making the entrance wider enough in order that the travel from the magazine to the barrel do not cut the pellet/ slug and then to make it fly erroneously.
Yes there's residual swage lube on my slugs

Emu do you speak from experience with a huben k1 of your own?