𖦏 Huben GK1 Pistol: .22cal -vs.- .25cal: for Hollow Point Expansion

🔘 Huben GK1 Pistol 🔘

🔸.22cal vs. .25cal🔸

Hollow Point Expansion

for Close and Mid Range Pesting

The GK1 pistol is a fascinating piece of equipment, in that such a small thing has so much power, and is semi-auto!

I don't have the funds, but I have to have a goal to save up, so.... —
to help me in my decision process which caliber, I did a little ballistic comparison of

.22cal vs. .25cal —​

so see which caliber would give me
expanding hollow point performance
for close to mid range pesting

(rats, squirrels, pigeons, etc.).

■ The most important condition for hollow points to expand on impact is their impact velocity (IV).
Assuming the lead is reasonably soft (below the CPHP hardness), HP usually will expand well at 800fps impact velocity (IV).
At 750fps IV many still do expand some.
At 700fps IV some still do expand some.
Below that all bets are off (until I have ran more terminal ballistic test 😊).

Here are the impact velocity results ChairGun spit out for me:

View attachment 370291

🟠 Discussion of the results:
● At 10 yard ratting range
the .22cal Polymag clearly produces a much higher impact velocity (850fps), virtually guaranteeing hollow point expansion.
The others all start out below 800, though because of their higher BC they don't loose as much velocity on their way out to 10y, so they all hit the rats between 750 to 780fps. I would definitely expect HP expansion with the .25 Polymag.

● At 25 yard mid range pesting the picture changes. Now the .22cal Polymag (due to its low BC) has shed velocity much quicker than both caliber slugs. These three now all impact with nearly the same IV of 750 to 770fps. ➔ HP expansion is still likely, with the .25cal probably expanding more due to its larger impact surface.
The .25 Polymag is down to 700 IV, and HP expansion will be less and/or less likely.

🟠 Preliminary Conclusion
(a) For close range ratting
the .22cal seems to be the better choice, considering that it would give significantly more shots per fill.

(b) For mid range pesting the .22 pellet and slug are about even with the .25 slug. Which would give an edge to the .25 slug as it will have more impact energy.
However, if the shots are angled upwards (birds in trees), I could't use slugs — due to their high BC they would fly far and hit much harder than a low BC pellet!

(c) Another consideration are the ages-ago announced and still not delivered FX SLULLETS (or FX PELLUGS).
From the photos they are slugs, comparatively light, and with a huge hollow point. If they ever arrive at production status, these will be very light slugs that are highly expanding, and that will have a much higher impact velocity in .22cal than in .25cal, resulting in more HP expansion.
So, again, .22cal seems to be better for this scenario.

(d) The much higher shotcount of the .22 is also an important consideration — as ratting will quickly empty the magazine — and the tiny air reservoir!

🟠 QUESTIONS
I have the same power numbers that you all have from the different videos and sales pages.
.22cal: they say 4-33FPE
.25cal: they say 4-38FPE

❓Does that seem a rather small difference between the two calibers, only 5FPE more when going up to .25cal?
❓Or is the 33FPE for .22cal a bit optimistic (since their shot count example used 23FPE)?

It seems like the GK1 pistol in .22cal has typical PCP rifle power.
But in .25cal is is rather underpowered in comparison to PCP rifles.
❓Is this fair to say?

Matthias

● Projectiles and their color coding:
Red: .22cal Polymag | 30FPE | 0.021BC
Green: .22cal Hybrid | 30FPE | 0.060BC
Blue: .25cal Polymag | 36FPE | 0.028BC
Purple: .25cal Hybrid | 36FPE | 0.070BC
(These are conservative BC numbers.)
this has to be without tuning. Im can get 925 fps with a 36grain javelin lubed first shot at 4500psi in .25 cal. last shot is down at abput 800fps. so around 65fpe which is a lot more than was promised.

Not sure how i ended up at this old thread but it is as good as any i guess…

Are there any published shot strings in the 25 Cal? I imagine there are some YouTube videos were shot over a chronograph like one i already watched.

Also, has anyone tried the MP mold 25 Cal round nose through these? It was originally designed to work with the K1.
The thread is called “Huben pistol” page 25 near the bottom I recorded a shot string in .25 50 grain. I was having some fill and tank leak issues that day so the shot string is not starting from a full 300 bar fill and every little bit you go above 300 gets you significantly more shots at higher power.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need any fancy expansion to just oblitarate any small pest with a high tune up of the Gk1 in either .22 or 6.35. You can get a consistent 40+ fpe with very practical shoot count, or 80+ if you don't care to run out on 4/5 shoots.

I think the .22 is a no brainer for the pistol, and is the one I chose without even consider the 6.35.

6.35 Benefits:

-You would benefit of the size if you plan to use it for small pest, more surface = more of the energy will be transmited in less time, bigger chance of not over-penetrate, more punch etc...

-The 6.35 is cool!

-More easy to 3D print slugs and add some actual weight to them via steel balls or something. (Only a benefit if you actually have a 3D printer and want to really mess arround)

.22 Benefits:

-Marginal power difference with it's 6.35 counterpart.

-Less air consume per shoot.

-More penetration, the .22 will perform much better in not so small game, if for wathever reason you ever want to shoot something bigger, which you shouldnt.

-Flatter trajectory, not really important at usual pistol range, but may consider if you add a scope and a stock.

-CHEAPER AMMO!!

-More ammo designs and availability.

So, unless you are a fan of the 6.35, the bigger cal dont really take much advantaje on the GK1 and there is more cons than pros.

Reactions: Hornclayton
And I went for the 25 without hesitation once i saw the top end, in spite of some of the benefits of 22… I have lots of molds in that caliber and the 25 is actually quite a bit more powerful - 85-90 fpe vs 60-something.

I have a talonP that i added an 18” barrel to - it shoots in the 55-85 fpe range and I feel like that was an absolute sweet spot for the caliber. Very very excited to have this particular power in a .25 pistol. They arrived last week at New England airgun. Now I’m just waiting to get the shipping notification…

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
You are probably right!! 😄

And you made me realize: I'm not looking for the best overall tool to kill pest animals.

➠ I'm just looking for a new tool to go pesting!! 🤷‍♂️

Because the best overall tool to kill rats would probably be a cat, or poison, or a mass-trap as shown by the geniuses on the tube. 😉
Certainly not a tool costing 100 times more than a bag of poison. And the animal shelter will only too gladly hand me one of their rat killers for free...

➠ So, I guess, I want a PCP pistol. — Now I need to decide within that parameter which model, caliber, and power setting would be the best overall tool to kill rats....

You got me! 👍🏼

Matthias
I've had great luck with the AGT Vixen in 177. Most recently I mounted a night scope from ATN. I was able to kill a tiny, young, 2 inch rat at 20 yards. I went to look for it and I almost could find it because it was so small. But in the scope it looked normal. I killed three rats right off the bat with the night scope and they haven't been back. Portland, OR is known for its rats.

Not sure how i ended up at this old thread but it is as good as any i guess…

Are there any published shot strings in the 25 Cal? I imagine there are some YouTube videos were shot over a chronograph like one i already watched.

Also, has anyone tried the MP mold 25 Cal round nose through these? It was originally designed to work with the K1.
I saw this https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/25-gk1-v3.1304647/

This was posted from zx10wall, he shot the 25.3 JSB's and the 33.9 and had very solid 17 shot strings with both. 875 to 893 on the 25.3 and 799 to 825 with the 33.9 both thru 17 rounds.

Reactions: BABz58
I saw this https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/25-gk1-v3.1304647/

This was posted from zx10wall, he shot the 25.3 JSB's and the 33.9 and had very solid 17 shot strings with both. 875 to 893 on the 25.3 and 799 to 825 with the 33.9 both thru 17 rounds.
I have had similar results, but I limit my speeds to just over 700 fps. It saves gun stress and is more efficient.. I should also add that using the lighter 25 grain pellet saves significant money over the 34 grain pellet because the price per tin is the same and there is 350 pellets in the 25 grain tin as opposed to 300 in the 34 grain tin.

Reactions: scottblair
Mine just shipped today.
I picked .25cal.

Mine just shipped this week.
I picked .22cal.

Yes, after almost a year of starting this thread, I had a unique opportunity to buy the GK1 — my original projection was to save up and buy it not before 2025....

Upon the many recommendations here at the forum I bought it from Kelly at KRAZ Cool airguns.
He was very accomodating and helpful — we chatted on the phone a couple of times, very nice guy.

I bought the recommended spare parts (he's got them all!) — since this GK will due rat duty in South America — a continent not known for availability of obscure spare parts for niche technology.

🔘 Caliber Choice:
I continued feeling the urge to buy the .25cal — because I am still on the more-power-it-better trip.... 🤦🏻‍♂️
But this thread has kept me on the straight 𐃘 road of rational decisions rather than following the quirks ꫝ of my power urges.

😞 I will have to sell one of my guns to recover from the expense, but I'm really just selling a "duplicate gun" — a gun that serves the same shooting scenarios as another gun I have.

Very excited!
Thanks again for your input! 😊

Matthias

Reactions: BABz58
I picked .22cal.

Yes, after almost a year of starting this thread, I had a unique opportunity to buy the GK1 — my original projection was to save up and buy it not before 2025....

Upon the many recommendations here at the forum I bought it from Kelly at KRAZ Cool airguns.
He was very accomodating and helpful — we chatted on the phone a couple of times, very nice guy.

I bought the recommended spare parts (he's got them all!) — since this GK will due rat duty in South America — a continent not known for availability of obscure spare parts for niche technology.

🔘 Caliber Choice:
I continued feeling the urge to buy the .25cal — because I am still on the more-power-it-better trip.... 🤦🏻‍♂️
But this thread has kept me on the straight 𐃘 road of rational decisions rather than following the quirks ꫝ of my power urges.

😞 I will have to sell one of my guns to recover from the expense, but I'm really just selling a "duplicate gun" — a gun that serves the same shooting scenarios as another gun I have.

Very excited!

Matthias
I would be curious to see how the EunJin 28gr domed work in a Huben pistol .22

I picked .22cal.

🔘 Caliber Choice:

Very excited!

Matthias
I got it for SD. Up close, full power shots. Hope I never need it.

I would be curious to see how the EunJin 28gr domed work in a Huben pistol .22

Manny,

I asked Kelly to tune it for 700fps with a 16 grainer — like I explained above, with this gun I'm trying to steer clear of my need for speed of the projectiles — this addictive pleasure of pellet power....

But, I probably won't be able to help myself to dial it up all the way, put the heaviest projectile in the barrel, and see how fast it will come out....! 😆
It will be fast enough to puncture a rat, won't it?

Matthias

Manny,

I asked Kelly to tune it for 700fps with a 16 grainer — like I explained above, with this gun I'm trying to steer clear of my need for speed of the projectiles — this addictive pleasure of pellet power....

But, I probably won't be able to help myself to dial it up all the way, put the heaviest projectile in the barrel, and see how fast it will come out....! 😆
It will be fast enough to puncture a rat, won't it?

Matthias
The great thing about this pistol is how easy it is to change the tune,........just write down the changes you make so you can go back to your set/preferred tune in seconds.