• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Huben Huben GK1 celebration

@ Weevil, I tried the GTO 16 grain in my .25, and it had a lot of jams. Even the .25 JSB was jamming today. I only had a few Jsb 33 grains, and they did not jam, but I need to get some more to see if that will be my pellet. I had it set for 800 fps with Kings; those GTO was going 960. I really wanted them to work & maybe they will in another .25.
Doesn’t sound promising. Did you just click em in or try to seat them?

Both. I have a loading gate; they would slide back into the flange & lock up if did not seat them. If I seat them, they moved forward into the barrel & locked up. I did find they are tough little boogers. I am hoping the JSB Heavy will work well. Funny today, I was liking my .22 a lot better, over 6000 rounds and not a jam. LOL
My K1 22 with loading gate would jam with GTOs but was fine with the stock gate. Did you get any sense of their accuracy?

When you guys talk about jams, do you mean while shooting or loading ?
For me, it’s when a projectile gets bent - usually the skirt - such that it’s hanging out the mag and catches the action. If it happens with a soft lead pellet, it can just get sheared off but when a GTO jams, it locks things up good. It happens when they are loose and pop out a bit during mag rotation as a course of the shot cycle turning the mag.

I’m using one of Andrew’s loading gates with the JTS 25.39s and zero jams and easy loading.
Maybe I’d better install the stock loading ramp with the GTOs?
We’ll see. I’ll let y’all know which works with the GTOs.
Yes, let us know. I would like to use them, but I don't like the aggravation of jams. Most of the time, my gun jammed today it dumped air. & it leaked empty, but it would air back up fine.

For me, it’s when a projectile gets bent - usually the skirt - such that it’s hanging out the mag and catches the action. If it happens with a soft lead pellet, it can just get sheared off but when a GTO jams, it locks things up good. It happens when they are loose and pop out a bit during mag rotation as a course of the shot cycle turning the mag.
Yes, those GTOs were tough to free up.

Yes, let us know. I would like to use them, but I don't like the aggravation of jams. Most of the time, my gun jammed today it dumped air. & it leaked empty, but it would air back up fine.
Yes let us know how the GTO's shoot in .25. I have been using the JSB Exact King pellets in both the 25.39 and 33.95 with no jams using Andrew's loading gate.

Reactions: wgd and Nutcracker
Regarding cleaning, it is very easy if you look up my method. I find that grease, which is present in copious amounts in the action (at least in mine) finds its way into the barrel, degrading accuracy. Maybe I just had a very grease-happy assembler but my back spring was literally encased in it.

GTOs. I have no issue with lead, it’s all based on performance and ease of use:

1. They are very hard. This means I can push them in to the stock gate without pressing down the plastic flange, which can bend the skirts of softer lead pellets. They require no seating and will not move from the back of mag as it rotates. This makes for very quick loading and zero jams/hiccups in 10k rounds.

2. They are very accurate. Because they sit tight and are hard, they do not get damaged by the violent act of mag rotation or shooting from the mag into the barrel. I discovered that benefit with the K1 rifle and found it was more pronounced with the GK1. They never yield flyers and shoot sub-MOA from this pistol.

3. Light weight can be beneficial, if it’s heavy enough. 16 (or less) grain lead pellets are too flimsy for this pistol and get chewed up, generating inaccuracy and wild flyers. In .22, the lightest lead pellet that I find acceptable is the (harder lead than JSB) JTS 18.1. I still see bent skirts in the mag and the target (soft duct seal) and get flyers as a result. I also find that all Hubens shoot more accurately at higher speeds, 880 and above. That’s a lot of FPE with an 18.1, but only 21fpe with the 11.75 grain GTOs. Lots of guys want big power but, for me, 21fpe is plenty. Also, the GTOs have the same BC as JSB Hades - validated at the UA range using their fancy chrony. They shoot very flat from 28-45y and are useful out to 60 or 70y. Shooting at 900fps/21fpe, I can shoot a mag with an ES of ~8 from 260bar then refill and reload. That better than many regulated guns and contributes to their crazy accuracy. Finally, lower power = less noise and less recoil/flip, the latter of which also means better accuracy. In summary, I find I can do more of what I want with less, aside from the cost!

Downsides. Cost is 3X that of regular pellets. I buy sleeves from UA and get a discount but they’re still pricey, but worth it to me. Other downside is that because they are so hard, they don’t expand. I can pick them out of duct seal and they look completely undamaged, aside from rifling marks. I could probably shoot them again and again but I don’t. If they hit metal, they flatten right out. Either way, since I shoot a lot in my yard, it makes for easy cleanup. Regarding pesting, many would be leery of their inability to expand, but in practice, I have found them to be just as effective, in terms of DRT, as Hades etc.

Well, that’s my complete GTO manifesto. Several people have at least corroborated their accuracy. I gave up preaching about them long ago, because (as I said), fellas gotta be fellas. I don’t know of anyone who has tried the 25s and it could be that the stars just don’t align in that caliber. Would love to know because I’m always close to pulling the trigger on another gK1, but trying to hold out for 177.
Thanks a lot for your informative feedback. It sounds like with the .25 it may or may not have the results you have had? I want to wait to hear some more feedback from others with the .25. I am using Andrew's new loading gate that allows you to insert 3 pellets and it has worked great the with JSB Exact Kings. I insert them and press them lightly with my finger afterwards to be paranoid that they are seated and had no jams.

Reactions: Nutcracker
Thanks a lot for your informative feedback. It sounds like with the .25 it may or may not have the results you have had? I want to wait to hear some more feedback from others with the .25. I am using Andrew's new loading gate that allows you to insert 3 pellets and it has worked great the with JSB Exact Kings. I insert them and press them lightly with my finger afterwards to be paranoid that they are seated and had no jams.
I might try one of Andrew's I have one of his on my .22 & no jams.

I find that all lead pellets tend to have some that shuffle free during mag rotation. While they may not jam, their skirts may be getting damaged. This is why I don’t like the gates. The hinges allow the pellets at the base of the mag to back out just enough to get clipped. Even if you’re not getting jams, keep a watchful eye on skirts and loosening of the pellets. The mags in the GK1 are made slightly differently, perhaps enough to keep that from happening. I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade but that was the cause of many flyers with the rifles. The stock gate prevents any backing out. Also worth noting that Huben has been making these guns for nigh on a decade. The main issues for would be buyers have always been (1) lack of a proper safety and (2) the faff with loading the mag. By switching to a flip up gate, which has also been around a long while, there is no doubt that Huben could have enhanced their sales. But they stuck with that original gate, even with the new pistol. Maybe they’re just lazy but on the other hand, maybe they think it just trades one issue for another.

Again, this is my 22/GTO/stock gate combo, but here’s a pic of a half shot mag. The GTOs always stay at the back with no movement forward or back. Again, no seating, just clicked in from an angle past the plastic chamfer.

IMG_0740.jpeg

Perhaps the 25 GTOs are undersized for the mag, in which case they are no bueno. But I’d like to see them tested with the stock gate before condemning them. If that works then I assure you that loading them would be just as fast as with a gate.

Again, none of this is intended to be critical of anyone’s preferences or purchases. We’re all just doing science.

And maybe there are now some better gates. I wouldn’t know…

The western airguns are Huben clones with removable mags. Like the Leshiy 2, they have a magnetic cover on the back of the mag to stop pellets backing out. All SA guns that shoot from the mag and then rotate it are susceptible to having projectiles back out. You either need a cover or a solid backing plate all the way around. Magnets aren’t going to stop the pellets backing out of a mag turned by a blast of HP air. I don’t like to compromise that system, even if loading takes a bit more time. It’s still much better than the Leshiy system with unfolding the gun, and prizing off the cover to load 8 measly shots per mag. Changing mags is also a pain due to the roller guide. The Western mags are 170 a pop and just as much of a pain to fill and swap, with a cover that needs to be placed precisely over a set of gear teeth.
I’ll get off my soap box and return to being a magnanimous citizen. I’m glad to hear that my GK1 mentor/promoter Manny likes the stock gate.