• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hp's in or pcp pistols

There was a thread on the GTA recently with people having no luck with Hollow Points in their pistols due to low velocity. Some even reported no to poor expansion in lower powered (600) or slightly more fps), pcp rifles. This led me to experiment further. As many of you know, I design and test slugs for myself and a few others. 

Using a PP-700 .22 at 475 to 500 fps, I am having these results with my hand cast HP slugs. I will be making a fixture for my mill for repeatability for accuracy. 

This pic is from the PP at stated fps, 20 yards into a simple water jug filled with simple tap water. Not a decent test, but all I had at the moment. 

Expansion from the .216 slug was over .454" and I am looking for a deadly vermin slug when walking the pup here at night out in the country.
DSC02671-1.1610181049.JPG
DSC02672-1.1610181063.JPG
DSC02674-1.1610181116.JPG

KnifeMaker

Woah that opens up nicely! Hard to get such nice flower. My HP's usually explodes and fragments on impact or than just fails to expand at all. I suppose its perfect speed matched with right size hp to have nice opening and near 100% retained projectile weight. Alltho if used for varmints I assume fragmenting aint so bad but for eatables it surely is. 

Mike, it looks like you have a real Predator. 

If and when you get an opportunity to try them on a squirrel or similar animal, please see if you can recover one and see how it does. Preferably a vitals / soft tissue shot. The reason I'm asking is the JSB Hades open up beautifully when fired into water but unfortunately they do nothing of the sort in flesh.

Top: recovered Hades from gray squirrel, 30yds vitals shot, 900fps MV
Bottom: unfired pellet for comparison

If and when you get an opportunity to try them on a squirrel or similar animal, please see if you can recover one and see how it does. Preferably a vitals / soft tissue shot.

The reason I'm asking is the JSB Hades open up beautifully when fired into water but unfortunately they do nothing of the sort in flesh.

+1 😊 👍🏼

The water test is very, very impressive! Thank you for sharing, Knife!

Matthias

This was shot at 490+ fps in the PP-700. .22 cal, which in the pp is actually a .2164" 

already tried on a trash bird. Literally blew it in half. Woo-Hoo!!! 

Yes, mold is a Arsenal .225 mold that is a copy of the Lyman 257420 that I decked and converted into a 4 cavity hp mold. the final part is using a fixture in the mill to set depth for the scores in the hp cavity.

At over 1000 fps in the FX barreles Raptor, it is more like a pb varmint bullet. Explosive impact. FAr to much for edible meat. I designed it for pest as I skip the last procedure for game. 

Here is the mold when I did the first two cavities only for testing before finishing with all 4. it is another mold, the NOE cc1. The mold for these slugs is an Arsenal 5 cavity. And a pic of the accuracy of he NOE version in the Raptor. One shot for reg. setting, 10 on target. 80 Yards. Evan withoug the second step,it is far too explosive for game, but is an excellent vermin slug. It is 35 gr at 960 fps. The pistol slug is 27.4 grs. 

Knife
DSC02642.1610259468.JPG
DSC02656.1610259488.JPG

If and when you get an opportunity to try them on a squirrel or similar animal, please see if you can recover one and see how it does. Preferably a vitals / soft tissue shot. The reason I'm asking is the JSB Hades open up beautifully when fired into water but unfortunately they do nothing of the sort in flesh.

Top: recovered Hades from gray squirrel, 30yds vitals shot, 900fps MV
Bottom: unfired pellet for comparison

Woah, Kinda does look like the Pres's scarry maul. LOL!

I did get the opportunity to use one a trash bird and it really did a number. darned near tore it in half. Woah +1! 

Knife