• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA HP SS .25 decided to go Full Auto!

hgg2k

Apr 29, 2021
Greece
Hi,

I have the AEA HP SS .25 semi auto and from the start it was nothing but trouble!
The magazine jammed at least once every time used and then failed. The replacement
worked for a couple of mags and then started to jam as well. Useless! You never knew
if it was going to fire or not.

I was very disappointed and left it in the closet for a few months.
Yesterday I decided to give it another try. I checked the air and it was ok, no leaks.
Loaded the mag, pointed at the target and when I pulled the trigger it went TRRRRRRR!
It turned to full auto, shot a round and continued to go TRRRR like a machine gun until
it completely run out of air. Two pellets were missing from the mag. One was jammed
inside the barrel and the second one I have no idea were it went...

Not only unreliable and useless but also dangerous!
I've heard that a light trigger might do something similar but the trigger was normal
to stiff and I never adjusted anything.

Do you have any idea of what might have caused this type of failure?

Thanks.

You broke a poppet valve. The air escaped through the barrel. As air escapes around the poppet it oscilates causing it to sound like it is going full auto. First pellet went out the barrel second never loaded correctly jammed on the bolt and was drug back inside the receiver. It has nothing to do with the trigger. Buy an aftermarket poppet, OEM's are junk.

Last edited:
You broke a poppet valve. The air escaped through the barrel. As air escapes around the poppet it oscilates causing it to sound like it is going full auto. First pellet went out the barrel second never loaded correctly jammed on the bolt and was drug back inside the receiver. It has nothing to do with the trigger. Buy an aftermarket poppet, OEM's are junk.
This sounds like a possible explanation, although the repeating sound was mechanical.
A broken valve just a few months after buying the airgun and very moderate use clearly shows
a very low quality airgun. Add the fact that you never know if a pellet is actually going to come
out of the barrel because of the cheaply made magazines. I am not keeping this thing, it takes
all the fun out of the hobby.

If you read my AEA HP SS posts they will look a lot like yours.

I converted my AEA HP SS to bolt action, and even after I still got pellets in the trigger area.
In my case my trigger failed and the first time it failed I did not realize and I put a hole through a one thousand dollar window.
Ouch! Luckily it was only a lifeless window.
I know how to fix airguns once I open them and see how each one works,
but this is clearly a badly designed work in progress. Its a petty because
when it works its really fun and the design and all the metal work looks
nice.

This sounds like a possible explanation, although the repeating sound was mechanical.

It is mechanical. When the air rushes out the barrel the bolt will work back and forth. I broke one in my carbine and your description of the events were identical to what I saw. Mine did not fire again but the bolt did work back and forth just didn't move far enough to work in another pellet. I have two HP's and a Terminator. The Terminator has been bullit proof not so much for the HP's. Poppet valve, magazines, and breech seals seem to plague the HP series. Many including myself have went to PEEK or Delrin poppets. The magazines for the most part can be fixed by extending the spring leg lenths and angling them slightly toward direction of travel making it harder for the spring to pull free of the anchor hole. I started super glueing my breech seals in. I noticed they tend to come out when you dry fire and they are dry fired frequently unless you count your shots on each mag.

I am hesitant to recomend AEA to anyone anymore do to these problems. All airguns have issues no matter the brand if you have trouble with a new rifle send it back to the dealer. Problem is buying used and not knowing what you have. I purchased two used AEA's both with problems. I think that is where some people run into issues. You don't know what has been worked on or if it was worked on correctly. Semi-auto's are finicky to begin with. Hard telling what was done to them or how much they were shot. It is easy to misdiagnose an issue with these guns thinking it is something bad wrong when it only neeeds a good cleaning or new oring.

I will say this if you think you have a dangrous gun that can go off without warning don't use it. That is one of the first rules in gun safety. Never point the gun at something you don't want to shoot. The first PCP I purchased many years ago was a top of the line model from a top manufacturer. Trigger was two stage and broke just a little over a pound. Sold as a hunting gun it did not have a safety and many did not back then.

Hi,

I have the AEA HP SS .25 semi auto and from the start it was nothing but trouble!
The magazine jammed at least once every time used and then failed. The replacement
worked for a couple of mags and then started to jam as well. Useless! You never knew
if it was going to fire or not.

I was very disappointed and left it in the closet for a few months.
Yesterday I decided to give it another try. I checked the air and it was ok, no leaks.
Loaded the mag, pointed at the target and when I pulled the trigger it went TRRRRRRR!
It turned to full auto, shot a round and continued to go TRRRR like a machine gun until
it completely run out of air. Two pellets were missing from the mag. One was jammed
inside the barrel and the second one I have no idea were it went...

Not only unreliable and useless but also dangerous!
I've heard that a light trigger might do something similar but the trigger was normal
to stiff and I never adjusted anything.

Do you have any idea of what might have caused this type of failure?

Thanks.

I can fix it or buy it from you.

Reactions: hgg2k and Perle
AEA Airguns = Airguns you fix a lot and shoot a little

At least I am not the only one who thinks that the AEA semiauto do not work well.

Be careful with the pellets getting in the trigger area because they will make your trigger fail.
Then your AEA airgun will become dangerous !
I am not using this thing again. I've seen others with pellets stuck inside the shroud baffles!
Pellets everywhere, except the target.. lol

They supposedly fixed some issues with their new model the SF. If you send it back you might want to look at that line. AEA guns hit a spot in the market that people want. They are light weight, powerful and semi auto. and affordable. Unfortunately they have some warts. But so do most airguns. There is always that search for the perfect gun. I haven't found it yet but you might. Don't give up. If you don't need semi auto you might take a look at the Varmint. It is a bolt action and is extremely accurate and powerful. If you want semi auto and not an AEA swallow hard and buy a Huben.

Reactions: john8
They supposedly fixed some issues with their new model the SF. If you send it back you might want to look at that line. AEA guns hit a spot in the market that people want. They are light weight, powerful and semi auto. and affordable. Unfortunately they have some warts. But so do most airguns. There is always that search for the perfect gun. I haven't found it yet but you might. Don't give up. If you don't need semi auto you might take a look at the Varmint. It is a bolt action and is extremely accurate and powerful. If you want semi auto and not an AEA swallow hard and buy a Huben.
I don't really like the SF, it looks bodged and it still has the same magazine issues!
Despite all the complaints from all the HP owners, they still supplied the same
crappy magazines. That is why I am saying no more AEA for me.

I have already designed a replacement magazine that I was going to produce using
titanium, custom springs together with their aluminum housing but then all their
metal magazines disappeared and I was not willing to spend more time to fix all their issues.
Especially after what happened now!

Rotary Wheel.jpg

I have been watching the GK1 from the beginning. It looks like the perfect PCP pistol,
although I've heard that the first iterations had some leaking issues. The price though
is astronomical... They are selling now regulated versions as well. No idea why the are selling
them at such a high price. A little competition will settle the price I think...

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMJET66
Friend of mine just purchased both pistol and rifle. He sold the pistol couple days ago after shooting the rifle. About 3 G's all said and done. He has had AEA HP and SF. The SF regulator helps with consistancy. Making mags out of titanium sounds a bit overboard, why would you use that? If you have that skill set surprises me you couldn't keep a HP running. You could have made a poppet out of PEEK and been done with that issue. Your pellets in the trigger will cause it to not cock but not self discharge. That issue by the way is normally do to bolt bounce. People cure that by fill pressure or adjustiing the cylinder at the end of the barrel. Take care and good luck in your rifle hunting.

You could sell the rotory wheel if you could 3D print it. Looks like you have most the work done.

Last edited: