• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How's your free hand shooting?

Just curious if many shooters practice lots of free hand shooting, with their airguns. I have a very inexpensive break barrel Nitro Piston Crossman Fury NP, that I just have to brag on, though it's not my personality. I shot free hand 17 rounds at 22 yards on my range finder and the following picture was the honest group I shot. Keep in mind the scope and gun zeroed in from a bench at 12 yards and shoots about 2" high at 35 yards, using a crossman premium ultra mag pellet.

Do you guys shoot much free hand, no props?

Have a great Easter

1586643509_9077468095e9242350bef19.86618890.jpg
1586643539_2482793925e9242539c3025.41719477.jpg

That's pretty good shooting, basically you never would have missed a pop can.

Some of us get together nearly every week and part of our shooting will be offhand. All at 20Y, I did 5/5 on the 2" round steel and 5/5 on 1" wide by 2.5" tall steel recently with my Steyr LGB1. Then 4/5 on 1.5"x 2.5" at 25Y a few minutes later.

I also took a few pops at 100Y on a 5" square and hit 2/3 with my 19.5fpe FT rifle.

I'm definitely improved in offhand just from doing it more often than I used to. 

I occasionally do some position shooting. Mostly prone or sitting, but sometimes standing. My offhand sessions are usually short and definitive....I'm horrible. I figure it like this, God gave me the good sense to figure out how to hit my target.....standing ain't it! I have the utmost respect for the position shooters who achieve proficiency at it. 

I shoot off-hand about 10% of the time vs. 90% seated at a bench. I'd like to say I've gotten a lot better at off-hand shooting but the improvement is very slow and incremental. I'll never be confused with Annie Oakley, that is for sure. I'd probably shoot offhand more often if it wasn't so discouraging sometimes. You hear people say that a gun is boringly accurate. I'll never have that problem. I never get bored of hitting my target.

I love shooting offhand/freehand (whatever the accepted term is) as long it is with open sights or a red dot. There are many range days where that is the only way I shoot. I figure when it really matters there isn't going to be a tree to lean against or anything else to offer support. I really don't like using a scope unless the magnification is dialed way down. I actually get a little dizzy if the magnification is set too high. Getting old sucks.

I have become bored with bench shooting lately so I started shooting standing off hand. Today I taped an empty tin of pellets (just under 3.3/4") to a pellet trap with a piece of white paper behind it to see my misses. I shot with a new cricket mini .22 I recently bought @ 55yards. The wind was behind me 5-7mph on and off. It was hard to steady but I managed to hit the tin 12 out of 28 shots. It was a lot of fun and challenging. I look forward to a lot more of it and improving.