• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

How would you handle this?

I called AoA and they recommend folks buy a moderator that is one size larger than the intended caliber so it looks like I'll be doing some drilling.
I put a sumo on a .25 Airacuda Standard, these guns are known for clipping, I drilled it out to .375" to get it to stop clipping, works now and still pretty quiet.

I am buying a mini lathe for my garage projects a tenth year already, but I never got there...yet.
First and most important is I wanna cut or fix metric threads because all my hobbies coming from a metric world... hard to find.
Second, what I have seen so far all flimsy as a farmers tractor, for a money I need to take it apart first and fix it diy.
But imagine this...
...you got an incredible idea in middle of a night and you just walk downstairs to your man's cave ;)

I called AoA and they recommend folks buy a moderator that is one size larger than the intended caliber so it looks like I'll be doing some drilling.
Before you go and drill that, do yourself a solid and measure it. I'd bet that that particular part was machined all in one or two automated setups on a cnc lathe, with very little concentric run-out. That being the case, I would look at making the barrel and shroud system concentric to fix the root problem.
daystate-print.JPG

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Don't drill it. Go to the hardware store and get a rat tail file for sharpening a chainsaw.

Now don't go running at in and out of the moderator. Insert it into the moderator and use it like an axle. Roll it against your pant leg a half a dozen times with a little pressure. Pull it out check it for clearance.

Rinse and repeat until you got clearance.

I'm still with fixing the gun. If the shroud isn't lined up right, then what's to say it isn't shifting around, or wont in the future. Get the gun secured, straight. And you wont have ANY moderator issues. Unless the moderator IS the issue. And you also won't have any accuracy issues from a loose or shifting shroud. I'll bet $200 that huma mod is dead straight. So, it reasons that the issue it isn't mounting in line with the bore should be fixed.

I'm still with fixing the gun. If the shroud isn't lined up right, then what's to say it isn't shifting around, or wont in the future. Get the gun secured, straight. And you wont have ANY moderator issues. Unless the moderator IS the issue. And you also won't have any accuracy issues from a loose or shifting shroud. I'll bet $200 that huma mod is dead straight. So, it reasons that the issue it isn't mounting in line with the bore should be fixed.
Okay I'll bite. Suppose the bore is not concentric with the barrel blank? How you going to fix that without replacing the barrel? Well then what about if the screw threads on the end of the barrel are not concentric with the bore? Are you going to fix that without cutting off the end of the barrel?

The man simply wants to make a moderator run on his rifle. Maybe he has a machine shop and wants to do all that maybe he doesn't.

Either way I'd say we have skined that feline.

Well, first I'd ensure the barrel or shroud isn't moving and won't move in the future. If that's settled, then maybe look at shimming one or the other. If there's no way to get the shroud and bore concentric, then I would take a file to the end of the shroud (or, rather, the thread adaptor). Slowly and carefully. Change the profile of the flat end that the mod seats up against so that it tilts the mod ever so slightly in the direction it needs to tilt. As a last resort, I've done this on a few guns. In some instances, that actually was the problem that needed fixing.

I don't have a lathe or machine shop, and I don't know anyone with one nearby either.

I will say this again. It does not take much twist in the shroud to throw it out of alignment. There is a groove in the bottom of the shroud that runs the length of the airtube. If you turn the shroud just a few degrees to where you have trouble accessing one of the tiny set screws that hold the shroud in place, it will put pressure on the shroud and push it out of alignment with the barrel. Ask me how I know this. Mine would get a little twisted and have clipping issues. Straightened the shroud with the tiny set screws and the clipping went away. Happened on a few occasions. It is easy to twist if you install and remove a moderator on the end. Doesn't take much tightening of the moderator to twist the shroud.

Well, first I'd ensure the barrel or shroud isn't moving and won't move in the future. If that's settled, then maybe look at shimming one or the other. If there's no way to get the shroud and bore concentric, then I would take a file to the end of the shroud (or, rather, the thread adaptor). Slowly and carefully. Change the profile of the flat end that the mod seats up against so that it tilts the mod ever so slightly in the direction it needs to tilt. As a last resort, I've done this on a few guns. In some instances, that actually was the problem that needed fixing.

I don't have a lathe or machine shop, and I don't know anyone with one nearby either.
Well fair enough. Which is easier to screw up? spinning a $100.00 moderator on a chain saw file or flat filing the end of a barrel on a rifle costing ???. Sure the right way is to fix the rifle if you are going to swap moderators on it all the time. Most people don't do that. But yeah, your point that you should fix the real problem is indeed well made. :)