• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How well do High end PCP hold value

Out of the 8 or 9 airguns I bought over the years, only 1 has been brand new. 

I made a small profit or broke even on every single 1 when I resold them. 

There are techniques to selling a gun that can help you get a premium used price for it. 

I suppose I could share a few, but 1 will suffice. 

Never, never sell the gun as a package. (Scope,rings,bipod,case,pellets) 

Sell each individual thing SEPARATE! You will get a far better price for your product that way. 

Thank you all for the replies to my question . I am a gun person . I was raised around guns most of them have been powder burners . Never been an expert on much of anything . But I like to be informed. As far as to have a working knowledge of the many toys I have and have had all these years . I will let you guys know if I find something that says buy me . I'll keep an eye on this thread ad see if anyone else is inclined to make a comment . Thanks again !!!!!!

It's all a catch22!

I've bought new rifles that were screwed up, but at least they had a warranty. Man, there's a ton of AG brands and/or models that I won't even consider buying new. Mostly because I don't want to take a chance since I'm short on patience and I don't like fixing stuff, especially since the gun should work correctly to begin with no matter how cheap it is!

Buy used and you take a chance of getting someone else's "MESS"! A big reason people sell stuff is they don't like it because it's not up to snuff.

I've had good luck buying used guns from people I know. Another big reason people sell stuff is they want to upgrade or get out of the sport.

My worst situation is I paid top dollar for a nice air rifle that I bought brand new, it was the first run of a new line and wasn't launched yet. Years later I won a soft case at a raffle and left the rifle in it during a wet and cold spell, it rusted the crap out of the rifle! Now it's worth less than half what I paid for it which means I basically would lose $1400 if I try to sell it as is, that's A LOT OF FRIGGEN $!!!! Or I can dump another $300 or so getting it nice again. I'm doing neither at this point (except I polished the barrel already), instead I'm leaving it as and keeping it the rest of my life. At least the rifle works well and is accurate but I'm stuck with it!

I think one old timer here on the forum had it right.

The fastest way to become a millionaire is to start with $2 Million, and buy airguns as an investment.

I buy them to enjoy. Shooting in any arm of the sport, including powder burners, is a rathole for money. I've got a friend that had a .50 barrett. With reloading, he was at $5 per shot. Off the shelf ammo was nearly $10. Airguns are a touch cheaper (well not really if you figure in all the other stuff that goes with the $2000 high end gun), but still a high end gun will run $2000, compressor $1200, Tanks, $1000, Scopes, ammunition, cases, you get the idea.

I've bought used, but refuse to pay more than 75% of retail, and that was for an Impact, all others, it's about half retail, otherwise, I'd rather get a new gun and not have someone elses mess. Gotta be worth my time to buy used

buy for enjoyment, not resale. Worrying about resale takes all the fun out of the equation

Well ok that seems simple enough , maybe . Hay it worked.

Its a used I got it thur a dealer . Red Wolf HP .25 cal . Aztec Emerald 5.5 -25X 50 FFP and Modulator . I got to shoot 2 mags thur it before I bought it . Couldn't tell to much winds today 20 to 30 with higher gusts .

1588992483_10932094925eb619e3d25ad0.00071860.JPG
1588992549_9627841145eb61a25d14c27.79154566.JPG

Yeah, well I think you'll get more than a few nods that you certainly took off in the right direction there. Doubtful you'll have issues with that baby. And if luck is with you, you'll be happy with that gun as your one and only....unlike most of us hanging around here.

Coming late to this party it seems I can't offer any advice or experience on your purchase. Or maybe your first purchase. But I've always bought with the intent to keep. I'm not out to try everything, though man I wish I could. I live vicariously though centercut and zx10wall and blackdiesel and dairyboy and so many others. But the wife wants to kill me as it is and I only have 7 guns.

Anyway, if you do buy again and decide to go another route, I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used gun. But you have to know who you're buying from for sure. On this board there are a number of posters that I've pretty much had no direct interaction with but that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun from in a second. Tuned, and worked. You get to know who knows their poop around here and who just talks poop. Who takes care of their poop and who just cycles through poop too quickly. JamesD. said that high-end owners tend to buy and sell to each other and take each other's word that something is accurate. Well, I don't consider myself a high-end owner. I'm pretty sure you just dropped more on your package then anything I dropped on a single purchase in my closet. But I'd buy a gun from centercut, with whom I've never exchanged a PM nor think I've had crossing posts in a thread, at whatever price it was priced at and wouldn't question the level of accuracy he was stating it shot at in his for sale post. And that has nothing to do with the price of the guns in his stable, but everything to do with his experience and what he's shared of his experiences on these pages. I'm certainly not trying to put a negative slant on JamesD.'s comment, so please don't anyone take it as such. My point to you and other new buyers contemplating new vs. used is, like everything else you buy....it all comes down to the research you do. Be it on the brand, the model, the dealer, or the individual selling.

Six of my used buys/trades were solid/great deals. One of my used buys was an OK deal, that after 2 years of fiddling I'm finally to the point of saying it's solid. One of my used buys...I bought air. And that screw job is on me 🙄

Yeah, well I think you'll get more than a few nods that you certainly took off in the right direction there. Doubtful you'll have issues with that baby. And if luck is with you, you'll be happy with that gun as your one and only....unlike most of us hanging around here.

Coming late to this party it seems I can't offer any advice or experience on your purchase. Or maybe your first purchase. But I've always bought with the intent to keep. I'm not out to try everything, though man I wish I could. I live vicariously though centercut and zx10wall and blackdiesel and dairyboy and so many others. But the wife wants to kill me as it is and I only have 7 guns.

Anyway, if you do buy again and decide to go another route, I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used gun. But you have to know who you're buying from for sure. On this board there are a number of posters that I've pretty much had no direct interaction with but that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a gun from in a second. Tuned, and worked. You get to know who knows their poop around here and who just talks poop. Who takes care of their poop and who just cycles through poop too quickly. JamesD. said that high-end owners tend to buy and sell to each other and take each other's word that something is accurate. Well, I don't consider myself a high-end owner. I'm pretty sure you just dropped more on your package then anything I dropped on a single purchase in my closet. But I'd buy a gun from centercut, with whom I've never exchanged a PM nor think I've had crossing posts in a thread, at whatever price it was priced at and wouldn't question the level of accuracy he was stating it shot at in his for sale post. And that has nothing to do with the price of the guns in his stable, but everything to do with his experience and what he's shared of his experiences on these pages. I'm certainly not trying to put a negative slant on JamesD.'s comment, so please don't anyone take it as such. My point to you and other new buyers contemplating new vs. used is, like everything else you buy....it all comes down to the research you do. Be it on the brand, the model, the dealer, or the individual selling.

Six of my used buys/trades were solid/great deals. One of my used buys was an OK deal, that after 2 years of fiddling I'm finally to the point of saying it's solid. One of my used buys...I bought air. And that screw job is on me 🙄

I am hoping that I can find the proper / best pellet for each power setting . So I can get the most from all 3 settings on the RW . In doing that IF I CAN . I'm hoping to do most of my airgun work/play with this one gun by changing power settings to fit the task at hand . I got a bunch of pellets on friday afternoon . JSB King heavys MK11 , Exact king , the Hades and Predator Polymag .But with the weather here being so windy and it being Mothers Day weekend I have gotten a chance to get any shooting done . I got me a note book and a new ball point for notes . Just need some tigger time to see if anything I've got looks like a keeper .