Air Arms How tunable is the Air Arms S510 XS

IMO, if you are planning to sell the gun at a later time don't molest it. IMO the Air Arms steel and walnut rifles best keep their value, as legacy/heirloom rifles that can be passed down through a generation, in stock form. Plenty of black plastic GI Joe rifles on which one can tinker IMO.

Like others have said, there is no need to tinker as they will shoot excellent within their lane right out of the box. Their lane being shooting pellets. If you are looking for a power house of a gun to shoot lead in the heavy end of the given caliber then look elsewhere but for your run of the mill weights such as 15.89/18.1 in .22 and 25.39 in .25 then they are great.

I think it would be worth your time and money to try some different pellets. If it is a 177, try 4.52 or 4.53 in JSB/AA brand. 10.3 grain pellets in a 177 tend to have the magic, but a bit heavier may help buck the wind at 100. Again a guess, but under 900fps, it often better than over 900 FPS. I would be trying the highest power setting and one click down setting.
You can also try cleaning the barrel.
At longer distance a good scope with good parallax is pretty vital. In my opinion people tend to go long on gun money, and short on scope money. Head placement may take trial and error with different scope ring heights. A good consistent cheek weld with minimal eye strain shows in the target consistency.
I think people like to "tune" their way out of testing for a right combo.
Maybe I am wrong making a broad statement, but some people buy rifles to tinker/tune/ and modify. That is their goal, and pleasure. So tune away.
Other people just want accuracy, then spend their time shooting and hate tinkering.

I was just asking because of interest in tuning in general, not so much because of a lack of accuracy with my gun. Second target at 30 yds 10 rounds.

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

Reactions: Airgun Al
Hi Nortac,
As has been said, nothing to tune on a S510, just the transfer port (power adjuster) and different pellet weights, shapes and manufacturers to play with.
For me, “tuning” an Air Arms means finding the right pellet that it likes 😂😂😂
And every Air Arms I’ve ever known loves JSB exact in the “middle of the range” weights.
U seem to have a good one with the pic u have posted of 10 shots at 30y, can’t ask for much more then that 👍🏻

Hi Nortac,
As has been said, nothing to tune on a S510, just the transfer port (power adjuster) and different pellet weights, shapes and manufacturers to play with.
And every Air Arms I’ve ever known loves JSB exact in the “middle of the range” weights.
U seem to have a good one with the pic u have posted of 10 shots at 30y, can’t ask for much more then that 👍🏻
if your looking for a good gun to play around with tuning valves springs hammers etc.... the mrod is a good trainer to learn the function of a pcp . just a regular mrod , not the regulated " better to regulate a un regulated mrod ,

Hi Nortac,
I was wondering more about tuning when striving for best accuracy at 100 yds.

I was just asking because of interest in tuning in general, not so much because of a lack of accuracy with my gun. Second target at 30 yds 10 rounds.

View attachment 429514
View attachment 429511
Thats a nice group!
For 100 yards, I too, would suggest leaving your S510 alone, stretch out, and see what happens.
I think you will pleased!
For even tighter groups at 100 yards, Id still suggest leaving the S510 alone, and jumping ship to a .25 or .30 slug shooter.
But I would hang onto that s510, if I were you!
I had and sold a S410, and I regret it.
I keep looking at those new S510's, and I may get another someday soon.
The short, carbine version, really gets my attention.

Reactions: RangerPete
I was wondering more about tuning when striving for best accuracy at 100 yds.
I agree with SpringfieldScooter, if u want to play out at 100, the AirArms are not the ideal gun. They were designed to shoot pellets, (not slugs) at distances from 30 to 70ish… yards. And they do that extreamly well.
That’s not to say they can’t get out to 100, they certainly can, and I can hit 3inch gongs at 100 with my S510 shooting .177 pellets all day long, and I’m perfectly happy with 3 inches at 100 from a .177 pellet.
But if you are looking for MOA at 100 then you are into slug territory and there are other guns that can do that very well 👍🏻

Hi Nortac
if you are not in a hurry, the new batch of JSB's should be out within a few weeks. I would wait until then to test out the MRD 25.39g in .22 until then. As they are right now, they are much too inconsistent. The results will make it look like you are doing something wrong when it is the pellet. You'll especially see this at distance.
NSA has a light weight slug 17.5g that might work. You would have to test the sizes for best fit.
1.5" is not at all overly optimistic. Find the right projectile, and that rifle can do it. Just need to test it out.
Mike

Reactions: nortac
I shot 20g nsa slugs .2175 and 17.5g .2175 also. Both shot the same as 18g pellets jsb and H&N pellets to 100yds. My s510 was always sub MOA for targets out to 100. Once sighted it never missed a 1in spinner at 100yds. My wildcat and dreampup do that business now. The slugs slap the spinners in .22 at 30fpe muzzle energy with the same force as .25 pellets and 50fpe muzzle energy. 22 pellets just ding and shake at 100yds after a longer drop.

Reactions: nortac
No plans of getting rid of my AA S510XS, I love it. Unfortunately I need to send it in for a refurb, but when it gets back, I'll be taking it to the range and see what she does at 100 yds.
Easy enough to do yourself! An oring kit is $20. If your mechanically inclined. I only have a 177 but its a good shooter up to 55yds as its ued for HFT. Its not great at 100yds but I haven't shot it indoors at that distance yet to take all the variables out of it. The .22 seems good up to about 75yds or so. Never shot a 25 so cant say. Great pellet shooters, I want one in every caliber!

I would hope that I could get at least 1.5 in at 100 with my .22 cal. S510 XS, but perhaps that is too optimistic. Time will tell.
so many variables...not sure thats realistic but your situation may vary. Try it out, thats the fun in this! I believe the 25gr .22 are too heavy for this setup but again, maybe the LW twist rate helps, IDK. TEST!! I love me a good pellet testing session.

• Haha
Reactions: RangerPete