• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How tough is it to shoot coyotes in the dark?

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
For those who have followed and watched my videos will know that I have began to shoot rats and left the bodies for coyotes to feed in hopes to ambush them.

Here is a writeup from the last couple of nights that I would like to share with you if you are interested to know what happened in the process.

I received a text from the farmer telling me that the coyotes are back and they had destroyed 5 of 8 chickens that were kept in a large outdoor fenced cage. 3 or 4 coyotes were digging the ground to gain access in broad daylight according to the owner. So I was asked to lend a hand to dispatch the coyotes.

My last attempt at a coyote at this location was 11 months ago where I missed (Coyote#4 video) the shot. So I was eager and excited to give it another go again.

I went there Thursday night for a quick set up of my blind inside an open barn facing the field where I bait them before. I shot a few rats with my HW100 and Hades pellets, but only collected 3 and left them for bait. Set up my trail cam and then went home.

So I was very excited to return Friday night to check on my trail cam as the three dead rats were gone. I opened the trail cam to retrieve the memory card and found out the batteries were dead. Damn...Did it even record anything? 1st sign of negativity. I turned on my laptop and inserted the memory card. My laptop battery was dead. WTF. 2nd sign of negativity. This was not going well. So I had no idea when and if the coyotes had came around to take the rats.

I wasn't happy with myself of not being prepared with back up batteries for my trail cam and of course charging my laptop beforehand. Things were not going smoothly and I just had a bad feeling that my hunt for the coyotes would not be a positive one.

So I gave up and just set up with my HW100T to shoot some rats so I can gather the bodies and leave them for bait. By now it was already 8:30pm. Luckily rats were coming out in the open and I was able to tag 11 rats and collected 7 big rats. 4 ran off into the holes and area where I couldn't access them.

By 9:35pm I heard coyotes howling in the area so I quickly packed up my gear, left the bait in the field where I had previously ranged out 25 yards from the blind. I moved my vehicle out of the way and settled inside the blind with my FX Impact MK2 with the Pard007S night vision clip on scope. My ammo of choice was the H&N 27gr Gen 2 slugs.

I had set up my shooting table and chair inside the blind facing the field thru one of the windows. Hot tea in my thermos and some energy bars in my pockets. I was ready to grind out for at least 3 or 4 hours until I see some action.

So the wait begins... An hour past and nothing. Then I saw something moving low on the ground. I quickly turned on my Pard007S and saw a rabbit about 15 yards in front of me. I filmed it for a bit, thought about tapping it, but rabbits are not on my list to pest at this location.

If anyone has done night time coyote hunt in the cold with an airgun will understand how tough it is to sit there in the dark, afraid to move around too much with fear of making too much noise. When you are in the dead of the night, every little movement you make like shifting in the seat or leaning of the table get amplified 120 percent. I never realized how my table squeak at the joints and how noisy the seat cushion becomes when I move my butt. Very stressful as I didn't want to make any unnecessary noise to alert the coyotes if they happen to come around. On top of that, cold and fatigue creeped in fast and furious, a feeling I have had and experience in the past with coyote hunts.

Another problem I faced was the inability of my eyes to see in the dark without using any night vision gear. As you may have known, you get temporary blindness every time you look thru the lens so I tried not to scan the area too much with the NV. I would just sit there quietly (trying to) and stared out the small window into the field hoping to spot some movements. Anyone who says hunting in the dark is easy with NV scope is full of crap.

So the clock ticks on. At 11pm, I saw a white figure moving thru the fence into the open field. OMG, a coyote had finally appeared. I quickly and quietly got into position, leaning over my Impact. One finger pressing the external IR with my left hand and power on my Pard007S with my right index finger. With the narrow FOV I finally located the coyote to my left. I pressed record and chambered a slug, ready to engage. By now my heart rate had spiked into overdrive and I thought I was having a heart attack.

I took one quick breath and had my cross hair on the forehead of the coyote. At that moment two things came into my mind. Should I squeeze off the shot now or should I wait till the coyote moves to the baits? I paused and hoped that it will go to the baits and may be the other coyotes would show up as well. I had 7 fat rats there for them to feed and I should have better chances of getting a good shot off. So I thought....

When I had the coyote in my scope view, it was sniffing the ground 2 or 3 feet near the bait. So I positioned my crosshair on the pile of rats and waited and waited... Nothing came into view and before I could say SH!T, the coyote was gone and didn't' return.

Another hour had passed and still no sign of any coyotes. I guess they had spotted my hideout and knew I was in the area. That was the end of this hunt. I reviewed the clip at home and the coyote was only in the footage for less than 6 seconds. Looking closely at the timeline, I couldn't have squeezed off a shot anyway.

I reviewed the trail cam footage from previous night and there were three coyotes in the clip with the dominant one (female) eating all three rats by herself while the other two coyotes stood by. Unfortunately I didn't have spare batteries for my trail cam so I am not able to film the 7 rats that I left there.

Yup, it will be tough to sleep tonight. Damn it is 3:19am now as I am typing this last sentence. Hopefully I will get these coyotes one day soon.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing the details Max, that’s a long time to sit still. You will prevail I’m betting lol!
And we’ll hopefully get to see it too.
I had a great big skunk on my porch at 4:00 AM this morning so I’ll be setting up a bait station and sitting still for the kill too.
Looking forward to seeing the coyote video if you get it. Best of luck.

Reactions: 450BM
For those who have followed and watched my videos will know that I have began to shoot rats and left the bodies for coyotes to feed in hopes to ambush them.

Here is a writeup from the last couple of nights that I would like to share with you if you are interested to know what happened in the process.

I received a text from the farmer telling me that the coyotes are back and they had destroyed 5 of 8 chickens that were kept in a large outdoor fenced cage. 3 or 4 coyotes were digging the ground to gain access in broad daylight according to the owner. So I was asked to lend a hand to dispatch the coyotes.

My last attempt at a coyote at this location was 11 months ago where I missed (Coyote#4 video) the shot. So I was eager and excited to give it another go again.

I went there Thursday night for a quick set up of my blind inside an open barn facing the field where I bait them before. I shot a few rats with my HW100 and Hades pellets, but only collected 3 and left them for bait. Set up my trail cam and then went home.

So I was very excited to return Friday night to check on my trail cam as the three dead rats were gone. I opened the trail cam to retrieve the memory card and found out the batteries were dead. Damn...Did it even record anything? 1st sign of negativity. I turned on my laptop and inserted the memory card. My laptop battery was dead. WTF. 2nd sign of negativity. This was not going well. So I had no idea when and if the coyotes had came around to take the rats.

I wasn't happy with myself of not being prepared with back up batteries for my trail cam and of course charging my laptop beforehand. Things were not going smoothly and I just had a bad feeling that my hunt for the coyotes would not be a positive one.

So I gave up and just set up with my HW100T to shoot some rats so I can gather the bodies and leave them for bait. By now it was already 8:30pm. Luckily rats were coming out in the open and I was able to tag 11 rats and collected 7 big rats. 4 ran off into the holes and area where I couldn't access them.

By 9:35pm I heard coyotes howling in the area so I quickly packed up my gear, left the bait in the field where I had previously ranged out 25 yards from the blind. I moved my vehicle out of the way and settled inside the blind with my FX Impact MK2 with the Pard007S night vision clip on scope. My ammo of choice was the H&N 27gr Gen 2 slugs.

I had set up my shooting table and chair inside the blind facing the field thru one of the windows. Hot tea in my thermos and some energy bars in my pockets. I was ready to grind out for at least 3 or 4 hours until I see some action.

So the wait begins... An hour past and nothing. Then I saw something moving low on the ground. I quickly turned on my Pard007S and saw a rabbit about 15 yards in front of me. I filmed it for a bit, thought about tapping it, but rabbits are not on my list to pest at this location.

If anyone has done night time coyote hunt in the cold with an airgun will understand how tough it is to sit there in the dark, afraid to move around too much with fear of making too much noise. When you are in the dead of the night, every little movement you make like shifting in the seat or leaning of the table get amplified 120 percent. I never realized how my table squeak at the joints and how noisy the seat cushion becomes when I move my butt. Very stressful as I didn't want to make any unnecessary noise to alert the coyotes if they happen to come around. On top of that, cold and fatigue creeped in fast and furious, a feeling I have had and experience in the past with coyote hunts.

Another problem I faced was the inability of my eyes to see in the dark without using any night vision gear. As you may have known, you get temporary blindness every time you look thru the lens so I tried not to scan the area too much with the NV. I would just sit there quietly (trying to) and stared out the small window into the field hoping to spot some movements. Anyone who says hunting in the dark is easy with NV scope is full of crap.

So the clock ticks on. At 11pm, I saw a white figure moving thru the fence into the open field. OMG, a coyote had finally appeared. I quickly and quietly got into position, leaning over my Impact. One finger pressing the external IR with my left hand and power on my Pard007S with my right index finger. With the narrow FOV I finally located the coyote to my left. I pressed record and chambered a slug, ready to engage. By now my heart rate had spiked into overdrive and I thought I was having a heart attack.

I took one quick breath and had my cross hair on the forehead of the coyote. At that moment two things came into my mind. Should I squeeze off the shot now or should I wait till the coyote moves to the baits? I paused and hoped that it will go to the baits and may be the other coyotes would show up as well. I had 7 fat rats there for them to feed and I should have better chances of getting a good shot off. So I thought....

When I had the coyote in my scope view, it was sniffing the ground 2 or 3 feet near the bait. So I positioned my crosshair on the pile of rats and waited and waited... Nothing came into view and before I could say SH!T, the coyote was gone and didn't' return.

Another hour had passed and still no sign of any coyotes. I guess they had spotted my hideout and knew I was in the area. That was the end of this hunt. I reviewed the clip at home and the coyote was only in the footage for less than 6 seconds. Looking closely at the timeline, I couldn't have squeezed off a shot anyway.

I reviewed the trail cam footage from previous night and there were three coyotes in the clip with the dominant one (female) eating all three rats by herself while the other two coyotes stood by. Unfortunately I didn't have spare batteries for my trail cam so I am not able to film the 7 rats that I left there.

Yup, it will be tough to sleep tonight. Damn it is 3:19am now as I am typing this last sentence. Hopefully I will get these coyotes one day soon.

Thanks for reading.
Scent.

I am no hunter. But this guy sure is. I read all of his articles and have watched all his shows. Seems very legit and intelligent. I hope this helps!

Me and a Friend did a lot and lot and lot (at least 5 nights a week) of night hunting in the early 80s when furs were at an all time high - hunted mostly from the back of a truck - Q beam Spot light and hand call. Had a nice swivel chair set up made from a car front spindle - was just like shooting from a bench.
Was lucky to be raised in West Texas - we had an almost endless access to land in those days. We smoked enough varmints in the first year, he bought a new jeep and I bought a new truck. It was a blast but a lot of work also, we didn't get a lot of sleep hahahaha. Wish I had one of these Airguns I own today back in those days.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Great write up Max. We have coyotes that need to be dealt with and I keep telling myself I need to get out there. I also keep telling myself that it can’t be that easy. Getting up a 5:30 is one thing, but staying up until 3:30 is another.
Lots and lots of mountain dew also I've noticed that when I hunt yotes they come in very quickly with a call I bought a cheap electric call from Amazon its called icotec I got mine for like 100 bucks

@Max115 They almost always cautiously circle down wind at some point. I’ve watched some come out of the woods hot, THEN circle to catch scents in the wind when they hit the open. I had to learn to make stands that were not only visually advantageous, but stands that also took wind direction into consideration. Finding a position that limits their approach to two or three directions that would also help, but I don’t think it’s possible a lot of times.

What you said about the noise in the dead of the night was so on point!! I’m rooting for you. Keep us posted.

With coyotes you shoot at the very first opportunity. Every second they are in your scent cone your chances diminish. This is why most guys use a real gun. Doesn’t matter how the coyote is facing, boom it’s dead. A blind is a sound chamber. That’s why everything you did seems really loud. But that’s all part of hunting. Weeding out all the gadgets and contraptions that seem like a good idea but once in the field, they are not. Yes NV is blinding. That’s why you set the brightness of your device at the absolute minimum for you to get the job done. It’s nice to have a bright almost like shooting in the daylight picture but it’s hard on your eyes.

Thank you all for the response and suggestions.

Yes that coyote definitely picked up my scents at the bait station. Looking back at the clip, I didn't have the time to shoot it when it was in my scope view. I played out that scenario in my mind last night sitting at my computer and trying to see if I would have had the right moment to squeeze off a shot. My answer was no and I would have missed it. In a way I was glad I didn't take that shot. At least this way it (they) were not spooked last night. I am sure the other two coyotes were near by as well watching the area.

These are the same coyotes I have been hunting for exactly a year ago in which I had failed each and every time I tried. But I am hoping to change the odds this time. Used to be only two coming and going, but I guess the third one is the kid that has grown since. Possibly two kids as the owner told me 4 coyotes in the area. They just live near by in the open farm land to the property I shoot because I always heard them howling every time I was there shooting rats.

I will return this afternoon and see if I can set up on the second level platform above the spot. I took a quick peek last night and saw there is a ladder to access to the top with an opening to see the field. If I set up above ground looking down perhaps the coyotes would not be able to spot me that easily.

Yes they are smart creature and very cautious as I have learned. I just have to be patience and outwit them. I have replaced the trail cam batteries and I am ready to give it another go tonight. I am sure those 7 fat rats already disappeared into their bellies.

Having these equipment will definitely help but I have to use them smartly and in the effective way possible. My NV light is set at the lowest level, but still blinding nevertheless. I will set up my caller as well just to draw them in if need be.

Good luck with your skunk tonight Dave.
Thank you Max for the scent article.
Yes I have watched the Night Crews. Very good channel indeed.

Thanks again for chiming in. Hopefully I will get lucky with Coyote#5. Stay tuned.

Air Rifle Pestings - youtube channel

Control of scent is difficult, from my experience wind direction coming towards me is best. I stalk Coyotes, staying still and having some form of cover even if it's a small bush in front of you helps. Took this one at 30 yards, no caller, no bait. Coyotes, especially around farms are creatures of habit and typically follow the same paths.

IMG_20221113_070321_636.jpg

Just remember, every time you hunt them in one area, you educate them. We generally don’t pull the wool over their eyes. It’s all about what the individual coyote feels is a reasonable risk. Most coyotes fall dead in a situation where it’s the first time you hunted in a certain area. Basically catching them off guard.

Thank you Dana. Good job with the shot. Yes these coyotes would typically enter into the open field thru the fence facing me. In the past trail cam footages they would cycle the area before going towards the rat bait station.

@Vetmx. Yes good point. Hopefully those fat rats will be irresistible for them to pass off and drop their guards.

I forgot to attach a photo of the open barn where I plan to set up on the second floor. There is an open deck above where I set up my blind. I think this might work to my advantage. Going to clean up the space this afternoon for tonight's stalk.

IMG_2839.jpg

Reactions: Hal4son