how to torque scba valve

I worked in a dive shop for ten years. I was a trained and certified scuba and scba inspector. Valves with O ring seal are screwed in until they stop and that’s it. If you want to tighten it just a touch more it’s not a problem. The gas pressure will make the valve so tight it won’t unscrew without a wrench.

Gas cylinders that have tapered threads are a different matter, they are tightened with a wrench similar to torque like you would tighten gas lines or water lines with tapered threads.

Randy

I have a SCBA and SCUBA setup as well. I cracked it open to inspect it once in a while for moisture. Make sure you use some silicon grease or o-ring safe grease on the o-ring when setting the valve. I just hand tight it. the seal design with o-ring should take care of the seal. Fill the tank and check for leaks with some soapy water,

If it leaks, I would check the O-ring for pinching. i had to replace my Scuba tank o-ring because it old and shrunk.

75 ft/lbs is not unreasonable for the thread size. Good luck finding an open end wrench that measure torque.

The only purpose of torquing any fastener is to stretch it like a spring so that it won't loosen. Your valve seals with an o-ring and does not require any torque to stay in place. Tighten the valve by hand until it stops against the shoulder and that's all that 's required. No sealer, no oil just turn it until it stops and you're done.

I agree, no Teflon tape, sealer or any petroleum base oil or grease. I still stand by adding some lubricant to help the o-ring slide in easier. You can use Super Lube that is readily available at Harbor Freight and it is silicon base grease. I Used that stuff on all types of oring including breach seal. I am talking about adding just a sheen not a blob.

Reactions: DesertSilver
I agree, no Teflon tape, sealer or any petroleum base oil or grease. I still stand by adding some lubricant to help the o-ring slide in easier. You can use Super Lube that is readily available at Harbor Freight and it is silicon base grease. I Used that stuff on all types of oring including breach seal. I am talking about adding just a sheen not a blob.

I ended up using silicone grease, the kkind I use on water filter o rings. Pure silicone grease just a small amount after I cleaned the threads really well.

I never found this old thread when I was searching for how to remove an SCBA valve. Good find. When removing the valve assembly, a firm blow on the wrench handle with a heavy plastic / dead blow mallet should do the trick. I was able to remove two valves on 10+ year old tanks with a wrench and a deadblow hammer. I was able to get the valves broken free with no need to secure the tank other than knee pressure on it on the floor and thanks to the advice from Scotty1 in this thread of mine. Just make sure you get the lefty loosey part down before you strike the wrench. You may need to remove the hanging bracket and / or the burst disk to get the wrench on the flats depending on the model. One of these $17 wrenches from Amazon comes in handy if you don't have an open end or or adjustable wrench that fits your valve.

1689489194699.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MG283 and Scotty1