• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How to store a PCP Air Rifle “”””

Hey guys I know you’ve all been here” got a new toy & I’ve been trying to learn it. Now my main two rifles are sitting; What’s the best way to put them up for a while as I work with the new rifle? I know they shouldn’t be depressurized all the way, so what should they be kept at? Full, half full, maybe a 1000PSI? What about the barrel? Any special advice for storing for a few months?

Some guns shouldn't be stored at max PSI bc it will deform the seals or put parts under stress. I believe on a lot of the Korean guns your supposed to store them at about 1000psi. I know Mac1 has posted this about Careers and Sumatras a few years back. That being said Ive never had an issue with storing my BSAs or Theoben at 180bar. Best bet though would be to check on each gun type.

Some guns shouldn't be stored at max PSI bc it will deform the seals or put parts under stress. I believe on a lot of the Korean guns your supposed to store them at about 1000psi. I know Mac1 has posted this about Careers and Sumatras a few years back. That being said Ive never had an issue with storing my BSAs or Theoben at 180bar. Best bet though would be to check on each gun type.

Ditto on the Ballistol

Absolutely at lower pressure for long term storage.

Storing at HP you will 100% end up with deformed and age/pressure damaged o-rings requiring a reseal. It is common knowledge that HPA guns only have a 3-5 years o-ring life due to pressure shape shifting & hardening of o-rings, so why store gun at higher pressure and increase this aging process ?

JMO ...

IMO store unregulated rifles at around 50%-66% fill pressure if possible, and regulated rifles at or around regulated set point. Both methods should increase seal / regulator life. Just my 2c!

Although keeping them full is fine provided you don't mind increased maintenance 

Air molecules are very small, and when HPA tank pressure is over reg pressure, there is a good chance over enough time your chambers will equalize. Same applies to general leaks, the more pressure applied in the system the more force trying to squeeze out tiny air molecules, till eventually...they find a way!