• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

How to Shoot with a Bipod with Precision

🔶 How to Shoot with a Bipod with Precision 🔶

Yeah, that's what I wonder about.... ❔

(The bipod can be tilted by about 15° left/right and up/down.)

🔸So, OPTION 1 — do I keep the legs as straight (perpendicular) to the bench/ground as possible?

🔸OPTION 2 — Or do I lean into the gun, pushing it forward until the bipod tilt is taken up and the gun does not go forward anymore?

🔸OPTION 3 — Or do I do it the opposite, pull the rifle backwards on the bipod until it does not go further?

Thanks for any advice. I'm trying to reduce my 100y groups.... 😊

Matthias

I like to let it sit neutral as well, with the legs as close to 90degrees to the stock as possible. That way I'm not stressing/torquing anything that may cause inconsistent POI. My impact is sensitive to this.

Also because of the arc like motion of the the bipod legs, keeping them at 90 degrees means that any movement from that position due to me or whatever mild recoil there may be is almost entirely forward/back. If the legs are 45degrees forward or back then it introduces a larger up/down component. Some of my guns are sensitive to this (red wolf) and others not at all (crown). Suppose it also has something to do with the quality and rigidity of your bipod in various positions.

Gotta see what works for you as I see others with the same guns happily shooting with their bipods in all sorts of positions that don't work for me.

I get the best results when benching my guns with the bipod legs extended forward as it seems to rock less for me, at a height thats comfortable to look through the scope. As a right handed shooter I grip the gun at the trigger area (handle/grip) with my right hand and let the butt of the gun sit in the web of my left hand between thumb and pointer finger touching my right shoulder. I use my left hand to point the gun at the target then a firm squeeze with my right hand to steady the rifle, a couple breaths to relax before squeezing off the shot.

1580554884_1439705385e355a843dda20.82838978_050.JPG

I shoot my AG's and 22rf's neutral and relaxed with legs mostly 90 degree unless I need the rifle lower but this is off the ground down prone. Off a bench I often have to have the bipod legs at an angle to get low enough to be comfortable. I think that comfort is one of the most important aspects of making consistent shots.

The PB's I load the bipod sightly, just to where the bipod stops it's flex, and that's for recoil control with the objective of having the rifle come back to the same place in the sight picture to see where I hit or miss at long range.