• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

How to send air rifle that I sold

I just shipped 4 items via UPS and had them all refused at the local UPS Store. Only one was an airgun, but I had wrapped it in heavy brown paper since is was shipped to me in the manufacture's box that showed what it was. At first they said they couldn't accept it because the paper gets torn and hangs on their conveyor belts, so it would have to be completely wrapped in tape. They offered to do it for $10, and I should have taken them up on their offer. Instead, I got engaged in a conversation about having shipped items in the past wrapped in brown packing paper. Then the topic of what it was came up... Yep, I screwed up and said it was a BB Gun! They said NOPE! We don't ship firearms! I said, great because it's not a firearm! She had to consult her manager... Well Holy Crap, you'd a thought I walked into the place with a loaded AK! So, I said fine, I'll ship it another way and told them to ship the other three items. The clerk asked what they were and I told her, a laser range finder, a scope mount and a scope! Well, then all of a sudden, they don't ship anything firearms related! WTH??? I took all 4 items home, scheduled a pick-up through the UPS website and had a brown truck pick up all 4 items later that afternoon, no questions asked! From now on, I think I'm just going to schedule a home pick up and be done with it. I'm really getting tired of this current snowflake society mentality!

I paid a private seller (member here with good feedback) with PayPal f&f foolishly. Seller said he insured the item and shipped. Tracking on package says it left post office.........gone. From what I understand, the dispute would be with shipper and USPS, but regardless, I am out $1500, unless the seller does the right thing, which I find increasingly unlikely.

I always wondered if I worked for ups, fedex, and usps in the back as the loader/warehouse guy, that after awhile I’d wonder about what was in these boxes 4’ long x 16” wide x 5” thick. Somewhat light for a package of that size. Then one day one shows up that has its box torn and that warehouse employee sees what looks like a black gun case with the words FX Airguns on them. You know the rest. I’ve often wondered about that.

Bigragu

Pretty much my thoughts, I don’t believe it ever really left the original post office, unless it was in someone’s trunk. I am getting conflicting info about the insurance on the package now, and believe I’ve been lied to by the seller. Seems people would rather keep my money, than do the right thing. I would think long and hard before buying from a private owner, even one with positive feedback. I am sick over my situation and will have to find a way to put it behind me......

I just shipped 4 items via UPS and had them all refused at the local UPS Store. Only one was an airgun, but I had wrapped it in heavy brown paper since is was shipped to me in the manufacture's box that showed what it was. At first they said they couldn't accept it because the paper gets torn and hangs on their conveyor belts, so it would have to be completely wrapped in tape. They offered to do it for $10, and I should have taken them up on their offer. Instead, I got engaged in a conversation about having shipped items in the past wrapped in brown packing paper. Then the topic of what it was came up... Yep, I screwed up and said it was a BB Gun! They said NOPE! We don't ship firearms! I said, great because it's not a firearm! She had to consult her manager... Well Holy Crap, you'd a thought I walked into the place with a loaded AK! So, I said fine, I'll ship it another way and told them to ship the other three items. The clerk asked what they were and I told her, a laser range finder, a scope mount and a scope! Well, then all of a sudden, they don't ship anything firearms related! WTH??? I took all 4 items home, scheduled a pick-up through the UPS website and had a brown truck pick up all 4 items later that afternoon, no questions asked! From now on, I think I'm just going to schedule a home pick up and be done with it. I'm really getting tired of this current snowflake society mentality!

I assume your local UPS store is privately franchised, so they were actually doing what is required of them under the franchise agreement. The wording is specific, both as to firearms and air rifles, citing them as separate, but unacceptable items. If it is a UPS company store, then they were incorrect. But since air rifles and firearms are part of the UPS normal business, that would be a very basic error. 

Let’s face it no matter how you ship there is some risk involved. I’ve been lucky. I ship USPS and they only ask if there is anything liquid fragile or hazardous. I package is carefully as possible and have been fine. I don’t believe FedEx or UPS is any better or worse. If you insure then you have to declare what’s in the package. I take my chances with the PO and the buyer. It’s only money LOL 

Let’s face it no matter how you ship there is some risk involved. I’ve been lucky. I ship USPS and they only ask if there is anything liquid fragile or hazardous. I package is carefully as possible and have been fine. I don’t believe FedEx or UPS is any better or worse. If you insure then you have to declare what’s in the package. I take my chances with the PO and the buyer. It’s only money LOL

Hmmmm, so if the package goes missing, the buyer is SOL? That just ain’t right.......

Hmmmm, so if the package goes missing, the buyer is SOL? That just ain’t right.......

Absolutely not. Seller is responsible until the item is delivered to the buyer. Its that way for paypal, ebay, fb marketplace, and ALL credit card companies. If you dont get your item then you get your money back and its up to the seller to file the claim and try to get refunded for their lost item. But as a buyer, you have to use a payment service that allows you to get your money back... 

That's why scammers will not allow any of the typical modes of payment and only want paypal friends and family, venmo, cashapp, or cash/money order, no way to get your money back when the seller doesnt ship the item. Usually they just print a label and give you tracking number, tracking will say the post office is awaiting the item and they'll just tell the buyer to keep waiting another week that it must be a glitch with USPS.. eventually just never contacting the buyer again. This buys time to scam several other people before they start reporting the seller on whatever website/forum they are using. 

I don't always insure airguns when I ship. Haven't had one lost yet, thankfully, but the way I look at it, I'm the one taking the chance when I don't. If it gets lost it's 100% my responsibility to refund the buyers money. No way should the seller get stuck for something they had no control over.

My thoughts exactly, I couldn’t do that either......unfortunately I didn’t buy from you. I’m still waiting to see what the seller will do, but it seems unlikely he will refund me so that I can buy a rifle, as intended. I’ve let this whole experience really get to me, and I need to put it in my rear view. I try very hard to fight a “people just suck” attitude, sometimes that is a Herculean task. 

Thats why you buy the label online.. Again there is no rules against shipping air rifles USPS, its just the people at the desk that are scared of them and give you a hard time due to their personal beliefs. You can buy insurance online with your label, sometimes it adds a line to write what it is.. use the brand and model name!! aka "FX IMPACT 25" "DAYSTATE WOLVORINE 22". Be specific as that will help you with your claim too. You can buy up to $5,000 worth of insurance with your label. 

To be fair, I was given a valid tracking number which proves post office was in possession, and it left for the next facility........3 weeks ago.....that is all. I have no proof of insurance and foolishly used PayPal f&f. Some lessons are rather expensive.

Since it was sold on here.. making a public post about your specific transaction may be acceptable? I dont know, contact an admin/mod and ask. Might help persuade the seller to do the right thing, although 3 weeks isnt too bad. I've had packages get stuck for longer than that so far this year... you still have the right to be worried. The seller needs to have a phone call with you IMO, this is a lot of money on the line for both of you. 

I don’t believe the seller was a scammer, just between a rock and a hard place. I could have been much smarter about this purchase, but seller has good feedback and I let my emotion steer my purchase. I will only leave good feedback if I receive what I’ve paid for, as I believe someone who would allow the buyer to take the hit, would be unmoved. The kicker is hearing about the sellers new gun. See, now I’ve done it again and got all f-ing angry again......serenity now!!!

Absolutely not. Seller is responsible until the item is delivered to the buyer. Its that way for paypal, ebay, fb marketplace, and ALL credit card companies. If you dont get your item then you get your money back and its up to the seller to file the claim and try to get refunded for their lost item. But as a buyer, you have to use a payment service that allows you to get your money back... 

That's why scammers will not allow any of the typical modes of payment and only want paypal friends and family, venmo, cashapp, or cash/money order, no way to get your money back when the seller doesnt ship the item. Usually they just print a label and give you tracking number, tracking will say the post office is awaiting the item and they'll just tell the buyer to keep waiting another week that it must be a glitch with USPS.. eventually just never contacting the buyer again. This buys time to scam several other people before they start reporting the seller on whatever website/forum they are using. 

Kevin23

I believe this may be what is happening, but I hate to believe it. Again, seller has good feedback, but maybe that is not a good indicator. If this ends poorly, I will leave a blistering negative in feedback. 

I paid a private seller (member here with good feedback) with PayPal f&f foolishly. Seller said he insured the item and shipped. Tracking on package says it left post office.........gone. From what I understand, the dispute would be with shipper and USPS, but regardless, I am out $1500, unless the seller does the right thing, which I find increasingly unlikely.

I always wondered if I worked for ups, fedex, and usps in the back as the loader/warehouse guy, that after awhile I’d wonder about what was in these boxes 4’ long x 16” wide x 5” thick. Somewhat light for a package of that size. Then one day one shows up that has its box torn and that warehouse employee sees what looks like a black gun case with the words FX Airguns on them. You know the rest. I’ve often wondered about that.

Bigragu

Pretty much my thoughts, I don’t believe it ever really left the original post office, unless it was in someone’s trunk. I am getting conflicting info about the insurance on the package now, and believe I’ve been lied to by the seller. Seems people would rather keep my money, than do the right thing. I would think long and hard before buying from a private owner, even one with positive feedback. I am sick over my situation and will have to find a way to put it behind me......

Scotty- PM sent.

To be fair, I was given a valid tracking number which proves post office was in possession, and it left for the next facility........3 weeks ago.....that is all. I have no proof of insurance and foolishly used PayPal f&f. Some lessons are rather expensive.

Since it was sold on here.. making a public post about your specific transaction may be acceptable? I dont know, contact an admin/mod and ask. Might help persuade the seller to do the right thing, although 3 weeks isnt too bad. I've had packages get stuck for longer than that so far this year... you still have the right to be worried. The seller needs to have a phone call with you IMO, this is a lot of money on the line for both of you.

I don’t believe the seller was a scammer, just between a rock and a hard place. I could have been much smarter about this purchase, but seller has good feedback and I let my emotion steer my purchase. I will only leave good feedback if I receive what I’ve paid for, as I believe someone who would allow the buyer to take the hit, would be unmoved. The kicker is hearing about the sellers new gun. See, now I’ve done it again and got all f-ing angry again......serenity now!!!

Okay, I’m going to say what everyone else is thinking. Who was it? I’m not so sure I’d care to get involved in a transaction with someone who treats his buyers so cavalierly. 

Almost every post here says not to use paypal F&F. Yet almost every ad on this forum requests F&F. I've bought and sold a lot of expensive camera gear on a respected photography forum and hardly anyone asks for F&F. Most ads just state shipped and paypalled and it's figured in the asking price.

Why don't we stop asking for F&F here? That might help some other buyer down the line.

Almost every post here says not to use paypal F&F. Yet almost every ad on this forum requests F&F. I've bought and sold a lot of expensive camera gear on a respected photography forum and hardly anyone asks for F&F. Most ads just state shipped and paypalled and it's figured in the asking price.

Why don't we stop asking for F&F here? That might help some other buyer down the line.

Bingo! You get kicked off of someone of the fishing groups I'm in if you request F&F. Although if I wanted to buy something and the seller said F&F, I would just ask to send it goods and services and pay the fee myself... If they said no, then there is something fishy going on there.. trying to scam or avoid taxes or something and I want no part in that.