How to send air rifle that I sold

If you send it UPS and pack it yourself, if it is damaged they will say customer packed, inadequate protection, pay out zero. Happened to the guy that sent me a rifle. They have to pack it for the insurance to work, and they charge for that.

USPS you better take the rules for shipping along, they will claim it is a weapon and not take it, until you show them their regs...

FedEx was the lowest hassle method here for me.

I use UPS ( the little brown trucks) but do not want them to pack it. I use the shop that I retired from, for those of you still working, check with your employer to see if they are an "authorized shipper" for UPS. If yes then you can pack it and no questions will be ask. If you take it to UPS then they have to open, inspect, and repackage for insurance. Sending from an " authorized shipper" Is normally much less expensive than shipping thru UPS themselves. Thru my years of shipping airguns The ones that were opened and "inspected" were less likely to reach their destination. Some years back I shipped an SR back to the customer with some sample pellets with expanded skirts for him to try. When he recieved the rifle, it was cocked and a pellet was in the chamber, someone at UPS was obviously trying it out. We did getva letter of apology and free shipping after filing a complaint. Even an airgun is violating federal interstate commerce laws if shipped loaded and Ups was not interested in going there. 

Find an authorized UPS shipper that will send your pkgs for you, just reimburse them for their trouble.....

IMO pack it all up and print the label at home and just drop it off at the post office or UPS drop off location. If they ask what's in it, say curtain rods.. Although it is NOT against any rules to ship an air rifle with either company, the people at the desk will freak out if you say the word "rifle" or "gun" no matter what is in front of it. UPS Store is actually privately owned franchise and not owned by UPS, they can and will refuse to let you ship it through them if you say "air rifle" under their own policy. 

With USPS you literally just walk up and set it on the desk and say "prepaid" and they say "thank you, do you want a receipt?". It's that easy. You don't even have to stand in line usually, usually there's a small counter on the very end that you can walk up to and drop off prepaid stuff. 

About 4 years ago I shipped a rather high dollar shotgun via USPS for repairs. No problem at the local post office. About a year later I received a nice little Marlin lever action .22LR via the post office. We were actually out of town when it arrived and they held it 3-4 days until I got home. Postal clerk said they ship and receive a lot of long guns, no problem. I would think airguns would be less of a problem. When I shipped my air rifle for repair by UPS I had to use some creative description in order to pay and print a shipping label at home.

USPS lost my last rifle, was sent priority by seller going on a month ago....I’m out $1500, and not hopeful seller will be able to get claim paid....no birthday gun for me. YUGE bummer!!!! Wont ever buy from a private seller again, no recourse when screwed.

You may have been mislead with this deal, and hopefully not taken advantage of. If you bought on ebay or with paypal then the seller has all responsibility of the item until it is delivered to you, if its lost in transit then the seller needs to refund the purchase and file the insurance/loss claim with USPS. You have nothing to do with this. You need to contact paypal or ebay for a refund. If you purchased it with a money order or something else, you might have been scammed. 

Always paypal goods and services when dealing with people. All you have to do is go open a case on paypal and state the item was never delivered and you will have your cash back in 7-14 days... 

I paid a private seller (member here with good feedback) with PayPal f&f foolishly. Seller said he insured the item and shipped. Tracking on package says it left post office.........gone. From what I understand, the dispute would be with shipper and USPS, but regardless, I am out $1500, unless the seller does the right thing, which I find increasingly unlikely. 

I paid a private seller (member here with good feedback) with PayPal f&f foolishly. Seller said he insured the item and shipped. Tracking on package says it left post office.........gone. From what I understand, the dispute would be with shipper and USPS, but regardless, I am out $1500, unless the seller does the right thing, which I find increasingly unlikely.

I always wondered if I worked for ups, fedex, and usps in the back as the loader/warehouse guy, that after awhile I’d wonder about what was in these boxes 4’ long x 16” wide x 5” thick. Somewhat light for a package of that size. Then one day one shows up that has its box torn and that warehouse employee sees what looks like a black gun case with the words FX Airguns on them. You know the rest. I’ve often wondered about that.

The only issue I've had with UPS is with my closest store, which is one of the privately franchised stores. Air rifles are on their list of unacceptable items, so I have to go to the main hub, which is not a big deal. I've also used USPS, printed label at home. The only glitch there, I can't buy insurance through the web site, which might mean they have to inspect the contents and/or packing quality. If I want insurance, my best option is FedEx, due to a close store. I have heard that the insurance claim process with FedEx is more complicated and time consuming than UPS, but luckily, I've never had to test either one.