How to repair dent in stock?

There are videos on YT that show how to steam/iron out dents in stocks. Haven't tried personally, so have no firsthand experience to share. My brother is the stock repair person in the family, think he said he uses a damp cloth and a regular clothes iron in the process of ironing dents out...

Others more knowledgeable will be along to help more.

Reactions: L.Leon
I dropped a scope on my brand new HW35E stock and put a small dent in it. The steaming method took it out in seconds and unless you look very closely you would never know

 Before:

RDT_20231120_2234592231549712586615956.png

After:

RDT_20231120_2233336237955642270026400.png

Steaming dents is the best way I have used. If you have a glossy finish? You are going to have visible finish degradation.
I am old school and prefer an oil finish on any wood. Nice thing about an oil finish is that it is easy to repair a future dent or scratch in the finish.
I use boiled linseed oil and hand rub the oil into the wood and rub it in. Lots of elbow grease but the look is worth it.

I do some piddling here and there with wood etc.. (not claiming to be an expert)...I've steamed out a few dents in stocks. As others have said and shown it can be very successful. I might throw in that the results will be better with a true "dent" where the fibers of the wood aren't broken. If the dent is bad enough to where there is broken fiber/grain then it will help but may not be as clean as just a dent. GL

Reactions: ToddGeddes63
well you all taught me something new.. I figured that dents either had to be sanded or filled and sanded smooth and filler you see it in the grain.. and then of course you have to refinish the whole stock either way..
thank you for sharing about steaming dents out.. good learning something new.
Mark