How to remove a scratch from an ABS case?

This might seem a bit strange question, but I scratched a case that is ABS plastic and has a matte texture. I know, seems trivial but it was a gift and I’d like to restore it. Tried heating, no bueno. Was going to take it to an auto repair shop but figured you nerdy guys might be a good first place to check. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0972.jpeg

From my snowboarding days ....

There's a product called PTEX that comes in sticks, kinda like a glue stick. It can be melted and the intended use is to fill scratches in the bottom of boards. It melts, fills the scratch, and when done correctly, completely hides the gouge/scratch.

Should work great for what you're doing, you might need to get creative with methods to replicate the texture of your case. Id experiment on some.thing else first, seems dab ing it with a sponge or something else? When it's still really hot might get you what you're after.

From my days of working with a multitude of plastics and finishes, and your desire to most likely make it invisible, your best bet is to buy a new case. That finish is referred to as “hair cell”, it’s doubtful you’ll ever conceal it completely, depending on how old you are and how much life and patience you have.
Best advice as given in an earlier post, put a sticker on it.

Reactions: Scotay42