• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How to questions

Hey all! Does anybody by any chance have some info or know how on repairing/restoring the Red Ryder BB gun?

I finally have the time to get out and shoot my firearms again but still enjoy plinking some cans with the kiddos. We've got 4 for the kids and one finally petered out. I've had that one since I was a kid. Maybe 20 yrs or so.

Disregard! Found the problem. Don't know the parts name specificly but I'll try my best. On the trigger assembly the piece holding the spring for the cocking mechanism broke off. 

What I had to do was cut part of the spring off bend it at 90 degrees into a portion of the assembly that I assume was to oil the trigger group. Also the brass piece holding the cocking mechanism had deformed a bit and wouldn't hold it in place. 

Fixed it right up, shoots just the same! 

The description you just gave doesn't ring a bell, so I was hoping you could tell me what model Red Ryder it is that you have. Maybe a 1938B? It has a brass piece on the trigger assembly (far right in photo below).

Actually I remove the anti beartrap 'rack' spring (the rack can also be removed totally if desired w/a dremel cutoff wheel). Note that the anti beartrap function is lost if this is done. That, along w/removing the rearmost trigger return spring improves the feel of the new style plastic trigger. More can be done, but those changes help the most.

In case you want to dig into the Red Ryder further, a LOT of info on modding for power, accuracy and velocity testing/comparison, etc. can be seen HERE.