How to prepare a new springer for shooting?

This is what works for me on my HW95L. I remove the moderator & using a length of 40 lb mono I pull through several patches tied in with overhand knots from breech to muzzle. 1st couple of patches have Ballistol and the rest dry. I also check that ALL of the screws/bolts are tight and the scope is secure in the mounts.

I then invite the wife to enjoy some plinking fun with me from the back deck.

This is 5 at 25 from a table & bags.

8eBypd3m.jpg

Please forgive if this has been covered before. I did not find after a search.

What steps are advised before shooting a new springer (in this case an HW95)?
Great question.
My advice is to clean the barrel and then shoot the pellet you desire. Life will fall into place soon after. Enjoy.

Patrick

"My advice is to clean the barrel and then shoot the pellet you desire. Life will fall into place soon after. Enjoy."

I agree run a few patches thru till clean, IF you have Balistal use it if you do not just run some patches of old undershirt material till clean and shoot . about 1 inch square cloth for .177

Last edited:
Thanks all. I am looking forward to the journey....

Its fun just don't get frustrated if it doesn't go as smoothly as you were expecting. Shooting a springer well takes lots of practice and patience but starting with a nice 95 like you have will definitely ease you into it better than a lot of the cheaper ones will. If you have and questions, comments, concerns the springer guys on this forum are always looking to offer assistance.

Reactions: Deerstalker
The two trigger screws and the two stock screws will work loose as the rifle breaks in. Have a couple of good screw drivers handy, you will need them. I picked up this set, works great.

This is good advice. Loose stock screws will have you pulling your hair out. Tighten them but don't go nuts. Wood is compressible and if you overtighten them you'll crush the wood and permanently damage the stock. Then you'll be perpetually tightening the screws. I use 262 red locktite. Clean and dry the threads and then let the gun sit overnight after loctiting the screws. Don't sweat the needs heat for disassembling. Ive been using the stuff for forty years. Proper hand tools and techniques will disassemble it fine.

Also expect to run a few hundred pellets through it before it settles down and prints well. It will likely diesel badly initially and moderately a long time. Weihrauch has been sloppy with the lube the last few years.
Yeah, my R9 smelled like a truck for the first 100-200 pellets. Really settling in and less sproingy in after 1,000 or so.