• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How to improve 100 yard group?

Hello everyone! I recently acquired a jsar raptor in .25 it stacks pellet in pellet at 50 yards and the 100 yard group isn't bad either bit I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on getting a tighter group.
The attached photo is about 15 or so shots with fx 34 grain pellets,all shots where taken laying on the ground with the rifle resting in a bag as well as the stock being support by a bag aswell

20240524_202452.jpg

Reactions: .20calguy
I haven't shot the airguns at 100 yet, but I have been shooting several 22LR at 100 lately, and I have similar groups to yours. My Kidd custom made one hole at 25, and group similar to yours at 100. So I'm still learning.
I have a similar experience with my HW97K, but I'm not shooting paper. I shoot small targets at 30, but suffer about a 45% miss rate 75y.
Cause?
Wind:
Most of the time I can blame wind, because it has been very windy.
Parallax:
I've tested my scopes parallax error and found it's focus and Paralax to be excellent.

Scope Cant:
This one is likley the cause of many of my issues at long range shooting. This became apparent when shooting my HW30 at 75 with a scope that can't make that adjustment. I had to turn the magnification down to 4x to be able to use the last notch in the mill dot reticle. The hold over was about thirty inches! When you know the pellet is going past the center cross and falling down to the point your aiming with, you realize that 1/2 " of can't is a 1" miss, if all other factors are perfect. It would be the same even if the scope could make that adjustment so that you could center aim at 75.

The Gun/ammo, consistency:
Changes in fps, or pellet weights. will affect long range shots. Large deviations would effect the vertical point of impact. So this is my next point to check out.

Other:
With HW30 the pellets were already falling in an arch so that minor changes in range or elevation affected the point of impact. Like shooting at targets on the gound compared to up at target height would change the point of aim in the vertical.
The same long range problems exist on all guns, but are magnified when your shooting at the edge of a guns capabilities.
Fun stuff!

There are some different approaches to this.
Sighting Techniques:

• Proper alignment of the sights is crucial. Focus on aligning the front and rear sights with your target, ensuring a clear sight picture.
    • Remember that the front sight should be your primary focus, not the target or the rear sight.
  • Breath Control:
    • Your breathing significantly impacts stability and accuracy. Practice steady breath control to minimize body movement while aiming and firing.
  • Trigger Discipline:
    • Squeeze the trigger smoothly and steadily. Avoid jerking or flinching, as it can affect shot placement.
  • Stable Shooting Position:
    • Master the fundamentals of stance, grip, and body positioning. A stable shooting position is essential for consistent accuracy.
    • Consider isosceles or Weaver stances, depending on your preference and firearm caliber.
  • Practice Regularly:
    • Consistent practice builds muscle memory and reinforces good habits.
    • Know Your Dominant Eye:
      • Determine if you’re cross-dominant (left-eye dominant but right-handed, or vice versa). Adjust your shooting technique accordingly.
    • Choose the Right Equipment:
      • Ensure your firearm fits you well. Properly fitted equipment enhances accuracy.
      • Opt for quality sights and optics to aid in precise aiming. When I enlisted, years ago they found that my dominant eye was my left eye but I'm right-handed, I now shoot lefty.
ALSO, shooting with a smaller caliber and if your pcp is pushing less then 70 fpe i found your shots open up more at 100 yards.

Last edited: