Other How to get buttstock off the ground when on a bipod?

I just received my first ever bipod for my rifle. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to cap the buttstock of the rifle so that it cushions it against the ground when I put the rifle down standing on its bipod so that I don't bugger up my buttstock.

20240322_210355.JPG
20240322_201739.JPG

Reactions: Headshots
Is there some type of rail (arca or picatinny) just in front of the butt stock? If there is, put a rear monopod on it. If not, maybe some truck bed liner rubber built up or some thick speed tape or gorilla tape? Definitely don't want to scar up that beautiful machined butt stock!
Unfortunately, there is not. I think I'll just have to look for a rubber cap of some sort that would fit on the stub of a hook. My idea was to put a 3M rubber feet on it but the way the cut is angled, the edge hits the ground first before any of the flat spots.

Reactions: Ranchibi
Those magpul bipods would be a slam dunk if they had shorter legs and more adjustability. Not having the 45° position is a deal breaker.
For what application though that you say that? For a pesting gun shooting from a windowsill, I'm just not willing to pay $200+ for a 20oz+ bipod.

Last edited:
For what application though that you say that? For a pesting gun shooting from a windowsill, I'm just not willing to pay $200+ for a 20oz+ bipod.
All applications. You don't have to pay $200, UTG sells models with all the adjustable legs positions for about the same price as the magpul. I had a magpul and it just sends the barrel into the sky without having a real bag on its end. Having the ability to get the gun close to level is a plus for me, then it you need the extra elevation, you can adjust the legs. I'm just saying if they incorporated that into this model, it would sell like hotcakes. Its definitely a good bipod, just to tall at the one fixed position.

This vendor has some very good bags. I highly recommend them. I use them during every shooting session.

Reactions: beerthief
Just an update, I found a more stealthy solution. Half inch inner diameter rubber caps from Amazon. It's a very tight fit so I don't think they're going anywhere.

Also, you guys convinced me on the bipod and I bought the Accu-Tac PC4. The Magpul was actually ok while prone on the ground or on a big table but the wobble is a bit disconcerting when I have it on a narrow windowsill. It's like I never know when it will shift on me and have one of the legs fall off the perch. Also, as a pesting rifle, I sometimes find myself in awkward position. One position I use is standing by a door frame or other vertical objects with one of the bipod legs on the edge and me loading up on the buttstock. Doing this with the Magpul is a bit sketchy because of the wobble and the fact that the cant and pan do not really lock up tight.

20240329_161050.jpg

20240329_164008.jpg