• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How to find RATS?

Just spoke with my father in law. He has a riding mower that a rat has chewed the top of the 12v battery all down one side into the area where the acid is. Why would a rat do that?
Ray

Presumably if you compare the chemistry of those plastics with that of naturally-occuring oils, there will be enough similarity that the rat decided it was beneficial. Us human just don't have a strong enough sense of smell to make that analysis.

The first experience I had of this sort I was on a bicycle ride through Jasper and Banff national parks, in Canada. I was about to go to sleep (tenting) and was washing my face in a stream. I took a bar of soap out of a bag, and lathered-up, then dunked my face in the stream to scrub. When I was under water, the soap was back in the sealed zip-lock bag. By the time I opened my eyes, the zip-lock bag was empty and torn-open. Claw marks about the size of a raccoon. Didn't see the animal that took the soap.

I guess the animal noticed the oils in the bar of soap were edible and nutritious, and it was hungry enough to go for it.