• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How to accurately measure target distances?

That’s funny.

7EBA99DC-E702-4541-AF5A-C8E554766F56.jpeg

One pretty good informal way of measuring distance is to use both 1) a scope and 2) a powerful laser pointer. If you zero your scope and laser pointer at a common distance (for me, 30 yds) you can gauge distance by checking how far your laser pointer is from the centre of your crosshairs, provided they're both pointing at a similar-distance target. The gap gives you (subject to a little trigonometry) the distance your target is from your common zero distance.

I'm a pretty big fan of this method. Laser rangefinders are nice and all, but this works pretty well.

As i like to say.. " you get what you pay for and sometimes less"...😉

Ive dropped the reel on cement floor and it got cracked good, but bandaid it back ok.
The tape measure part itself is not bad at all it looks to last normal light use . The plastic reel mehhhh , but its still hanging on ...lol. for time to time laying out a 100y range it's just fine.

Reactions: rcs9250
Lol..

Ya i use to string out a 100' tape you know go out put a stake in at 100' 3 times and all.

Then at harbor freight they got a 330' tape a guy can string out 1 time straight pull for a 100y. And with coupons or sidewalk sale its like 8 bucks or so fepending on the coupon or sale that day.. ya made stringing out a 10m to 100y easy.. ( mine got feet on one side and meters on the other)

You have to do that with no sun and at 68 degrees, otherwise thermal expansion needs to be compensated for. 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: qball
Seemed a Olympic site said firing line .

Standing your feet at / behind line , other the hands at or behind..

So i guess its a firing line to target and any part of your body ( foot or hand, gut..lol position at or behind that line ..)

Then i guess you just trust your measurements form whatever tool use use to do it with.

Last edited:
I use a tape measure as I want to be precise as possible and measure from the barrel. I am now interested to learn how the gun clubs measure from. Good thread!
I’ve used a tape measure for 7-15 yard targets, but beyond that I’m using a laser rangefinder amd I like to obtain distance from the crown or end of the the LDC. Whether it’s correct or not I see what my holds are and animals still die. Now I’m curious as to the correct way to do this for target shooting.

Many years ago, I use to set up targets to pattern shotguns at 40 yards. I used a heavy piece of string and measured out the distance using a tape measure and cut the string so I had just over 40 yards. One end was placed on a small wooded dowel so it could be wound up. The other end was attached to a long nail for inserting into the ground. This was long before laser range finders!