How some unregulated air guns become accurate and give consistent shots?

Unregulated guns can still be as consistent, what you will see is usually a much higher shot count with a regulated gun and a much less pronounced shot variation at the extreme ends of usable air, i.e. upon fully filling the gun and at the lower end of the fill.

Users of unregulated guns usually learn to fill their guns to a pressure lower than stated and fire a specific number of shots over which the gun will remain very consistent.

Hope that all makes sense!

The current Renegade isn't regulated, but I think Daystate is putting a Huma in almost all of their new models, so I'd expect that in the Renegade also. I've installed one in my .22 Renegade. What I've found is that, especially for .177 guns with a bottle (480cc), since the .177 doesn't use much air, you can get a good amount of shots in the "plateau" without a regulator. Case in point is my .177 Brocock Bantam. Its a bottle gun, and if I fill to 225 bar, and shoot down to 150 bar, I can get in excess of 90 shots with an ES of less than 20 fps.

Some unregulated guns are consistent because of air capacity as well. For example I have an FX Verminator MK1 air rifle that has a detachable 400cc bottle. The gun is setup to shoot @ 11.5 ft lbs on low power. Under this setting the gun gets 100-120 shots. Now of course many things come into play, like the efficiency of the valve, barrel length, hammer bounce, etc....but if you have very good balanced system with high air capacity you will see very consistent shots and accuracy. 

On the flip side, most guns don't have enough air capacity to shoot @ high power (30ft/lb +) and achieve 100-200 shots (or even 50 shots on some guns for that matter). This is why most guns require a regulator, because most guns have limited air capacity with high consumption of air. The regulator helps to maintain consistent pressures in these "small capacity" cylinders...

I remember when I used to not know about regulators and reged guns VS non-reged guns. I had a Daystate 303 .30 cal and an Evanix .357 sniper. I would get SO MAD when I was trying to site them in and the shots would just go all over the place (up and down vertically at least) ...good times.

If your wondering if you should get a reglulated gun... yes. as a rule they are more accurate...especially if your not an airgun tuning expert and just like to shoot guns out of the box. 

Fortunatley, as of 2018, most the major manufacturers are adding factory regulators to all our favorite airgun models.