• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How smart are Squirrels?

Looks rather large. Its not a question of where he grips it. Its a simple question of weight ratio...An african squirrel maybe, but not a European squirrel.
Looks rather large. Its not a question of where he grips it. Its a simple question of weight ratio...An african squirrel maybe, but not a European squirrel.
Apparently nobody gets the holy grail reference

Reactions: maxtrouble
They are very smart! They are basically rodent versions of cats lol. Theres a really great YouTube video of a guy who made a complete maze course with different challenges for the squirrels to attempt in order to get to certain foods they liked lol. I will try to find the link as it was a very informative and entertaining video. I was truly amazed how they went about problem-solving to get the snacks!

Were i live its just rural enough to be able to shoot them but tbh I always liked wild life too much to kill if not for food.

Here's the video! Check it out!

I don't know...
bridge of death.jpg

Eeeeeeeeee...

They can be quite clever. I live on a 16 acre place with lots of undeveloped area to the rear. So there are lots of squirrels. I never shoot them unless it becomes absolutely no other option. I like seeing them run around. They raid my sweet corn in the garden each year so I just plant a bit more , some of it goes to waste anyway, so not upset at them.
However we feed the birds in the Winter also and we have one of those bird feeders that when the squirrel finally manages to sit on the rail, it moves down and closes off the feeding ports. So several of them figured out they could jump about ten feet and land on the feeder and the shock of the landing will knock bird seed to the ground, then they simply jump down and have a feast. I have seen them do their jump three or four times until they are happy with the seeds on the ground.
I have seen them carry some fairly large dead sticks and branches up a tree to build a nest with. Then they weave a few thousand leaves in and create a house.
I would not put it past a squirrel to carry that stick up there, animals are smarter than we credit them with, Loki our cat opens doors, when he was younger we had child locks on all the cabinets and drawers to keep him out of them.
Animals can be very clever.

Kit
They're organized...
theyre organized.jpg

Back in 2018 here in New England we had the "great squirrel apocalypse". In one area near Concord, NH on I-93 I saw HUNDREDS of pasted squirrels on one off ramp alone. It was wild.