How should I Polish an Airgun Barrel?

I basically use a ball bearing cleaning rod with the vfg adapter and those little vfg felt wads with JB bore paste.

First remove breech oring and clean the barrel as best I can with a patchworm and ballistol.

Then the JB, using smooth strokes from the breech end, with more strokes applied at the breech than the crown. Obviously be very careful when the patches are coming out the crown end - I make sure they never make it out all the way, to prevent damaging. Occasionally I've found subtle rough patches, which I also focus on. You'll see variations in how many strokes people recommend, but it really depends on whether you're just trying to subtly improve a good barrel (few) or save/resurrect a bad or ruined one.

After that, clean really well with the patchworm again, assemble and re-lead.

I've never had JB make a barrel worse, only better in terms of accuracy, fouling or both. Some have been revelatory - in particular my red wolf barrel which started out very good, but is now magnificent 🎉

Good luck!

PS - I see Nervoustrig has given a link while I was scribbling my post - his explanation is really good and better written than mine! Follow that and you won't go wrong 💪

Reactions: davidsng
Reactions: davidsng
All good advice. If you go slow and be careful, it’s pretty hard to damage a barrel with JB bore paste. Even if the results aren’t astonishing, there’s almost always something to be gained, either fewer cleanings or better accuracy and almost never any adverse effects. Take your time.

Stoti

...my hunting buddy used some kind of car wax or car polish to get his .177 mrod to act right....he was pissed that that barrel was so bad, but he was on the waiting list to get this mrod before they were released. i remember those barrels having problems when they first came out - especially the .25 mrods. he also lapped his barrel.....that's a lot of work , but many of the current benjamin 392's have strange barrels. you can feel the pellet getting bottlenecked here and there, and breaks free for some inches before the muzzle when i push a .22 pellet thru with a cleaning rod... i used that car polish that had some tiny grit in it , but it was a useless waste of time. if you have a good accurate barrel , i'd leave it alone. airgun bores are delicate.